Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just purchased a 1994 Malibu Echelon, advice requested

bovhica

I just made this purchase and am the third owner on this boat. I grew up on a lake, slalom skiing as a youngster behind a 1966 Century Sabre. Obviously just a recreational skier. Never was interested in competition or courses. Actually I preferred jumping the wake and having fun vs. a more traditional style (probably a wake boarder at heart but before it's time.) I didn't ski much after we moved, other than behind different types of boats to include the newer generation of inboards once or twice a year.

I now have two teenage step sons that I want to give some of the same memories and experiences I had as a youth, so I made the purchase and got a great deal, I think, at 6K. It has just over 300 hours on it. It has been regularly serviced and winterized each season by professionals. The motor is a 350 magnum carb. It runs great and drives nice with no vibration. Didnt check the computron but i could really care less if it works or not. The paint on the top has oxidation issues. It comes with a cockpit cover but obviously the exposed surface has spent time outdoors while stored. The interior is in good shape for the age (some stitching is coming loose, but no tears or fading.) carpet is nice and batteries and engine compartment look very clean and taken care of. The teek step is in good condition and has been maintained so my overall perception was i couldnt go wrong at this price.

The boat has a tower and we will be using it for all around watersports (skiing, wakeboard, tubing, etc.) As a first time owner I am curious what other owners of this boat think and also any advice mechanically or otherwise would be welcomed. Here is what I plan to do so please let me know if I am missing something.

Oil change---what brand and type?

Fuel stabilizer

Transmission fluid change----what brand and type?

Fuel filter

Winterization by professional

Disconnect and store batteries for winter

Treat oxidized areas-----any product recommendations?

Treat interior seats------product? I have heard armor all is a no go?

Before I summarize are their any other items I should check and or replace, ie.... Impeller, spark plugs, distributor cap, hoses....etc. everything is in working order now but I would rather replace parts that are common problems this winter in the comfort of my garage than have to do it at the lake.

• Like 1

Pictures or it didn't happen. Sounds like you have a good handle on things. On an old boat I'd change plugs, cap rotor, fuel filter, oil change etc.

Use photobucket to upload pictures then add the direct link to your tread.

Edited by FastFreddy

Sounds like you got a great deal! Only thing I noticed to be amiss is the 300 hours is most likely many more given its age and since the computron quits keeping track when certain things stop working in them. But maybe not.

Oil change---what brand and type?
Fuel stabilizer
Transmission fluid change----what brand and type?
Fuel filter
Winterization by professional
Disconnect and store batteries for winter
Treat oxidized areas-----any product recommendations?
Treat interior seats------product? I have heard armor all is a no go?

Oil - everyone has their preference, I like straight 30w in mine (brand is 100% preference, they all meet the same standards), many run 15w40 diesel oil as well. I see less fluctuation in pressure with straight 30.

Fuel stabilizer - most use stabil or seafoam when winterizing, the paranoid use it in every tank.

Transmission fluid I believe is Merc/Dex 3, again brand is personal preference (for the sake of saying one I usually use Valvoline)

Fuel filter - you're usually at the mercy of what your dealer has, unless you order online.

Winterize it yourself, there's a walkthrough in the resources section I believe, paying a dealer is just giving $ away.

At least put a battery tender on the batteries for winter, storing them inside is good too.

For the oxidized areas, get a buffer and use some rubbing compound, then some polishing compound.

Interior - 303 aerospace protectant is what I swear by, again, preference.

Thanks for the info sean. The hours are correct according to last seasons winterization documents. Apperently the compitron went out this year. ...or at least that is what the owner says. Seems like a straight forward guy but u never know.

I will check out the winterizing link. I'm just afraid of not doing it right but if there is a step by step then I will check it out.

Again thanks so much for your input. Next summer can't come fast enough.

Another question for those in the know. What is the seating capacity/max weight for this boat. I have looked all over the boat and can't find the placard.

In addition, is it legal to be on the water without this information posted?

The max is more weight than people....you could have 7 or 3, depending on how much they weigh, how much fuel is in the boat, what oyher things..ice chest, skis, ect.....should be able to find the owners manual in the resorce section...

Nice purchase, this is one of Malibu's best boats and put them on the map and elevated them to one of the big 3. Great hull with excellent wakes, no wood so easy on maintenance. Have fun.

A few additional items: being carbed, I would recommend you do a rebuild on it before spring. It is very easy to do & lots of info available to guide you. Ethanol blended fuels are hard on carbs/fuel lines, etc. It is a good idea to start the year with a fresh impeller, you might also consider removing the existing one and put it in a sealed bag for winter storage. Check you steering cable, a boat of that age might need a replacement, you will know if the steering is stiff. Another maintenance item would be the rudder bushings, simply check the play in the rudder.

A working Computron would be a blessing, but today, the best investment to increase your skiing and boarding pleasure is a speed control device. The unit of choice would be a Perfect Pass unit.

I have a pdf of the owners manual but it doesn't have weight capacity info. I will check some more. With a family of four we will have no issues. I just wanted to know in case we bring others along.

The max is more weight than people....you could have 7 or 3, depending on how much they weigh, how much fuel is in the boat, what oyher things..ice chest, skis, ect.....should be able to find the owners manual in the resorce section...

Thanks Woodski...I definitely will check those other items. The more I learn about this boat and company, the better I feel about the purchase. Looks like I will have some nice projects this winter to pass the time before next season.

To my surprise, by taking off the teak platform, it fits in my heated garage so I can take my time and get familiar with the boat out of the elements. Huge bonus!

This forum is awesome and thank you to all! Please keep them coming if there are additional items and or would love to hear from current or past owners.

Hi

You've got a really good Malibu, one of the best for skiing and OK for boarding, not that I'm biased.

I've owned my Echy since 2011. Here's my maintenance schedule that includes the hours you should conduct the maintenance and the researched and IMO the best type of oil for the engine and transmission.

I have just sanded and polished above the rub rail on mine due to gel coat fade. I was extremely impressed with the results I got and it did not take very long to do. Essentially you sand with wet and dry using 800 grade paper, then you sand with 1500 grade paper and then I used 3M rubbing and waxing paste in one with an orbital polisher. The results were awesome. If I can help more let me know. Which state are you in? And lastly $6K for an Echy is a great buy.

Hours Maintenance Schedule

0 Replaced oil filter Winterization

0 Replaced engine oil Winterization

0 Grease rudder Winterization

0 Rebuilt starter motor

0 Replaced fuel/water seperator filter 100

0 Carb rebuilt

0 Cleaned flame arrestor 100

22 Replaced Impeller & Impeller housing 100

55 Replaced oil filter Winterization

55 Replaced engine oil, 4.7ltrs, (Mercury/Quicksilver 25W40 NMMA FC Rated) Winterization

55 Replaced Transmission Fluid, 1 Qrt (O'Reilly Dex III, ATF) Winterization

109 Replaced fuel/water seperator filter - SIE18-7845 From SKIDIM 100

109 Replaced oil filter - R077002 From SKIDM Winterization

109 Replaced engine oil, 4.7ltrs, (Mercury/Quicksilver 25W40 NMMA FC Rated) Winterization

109 Replaced Transmission Fluid, 1 Qrt (O'Reilly Dex III, ATF) Winterization

109 Grease rudder Winterization

Edited by AdeL

Adel thanks for the maintenance info. Just what I was looking for. Do you have any before and after pictures of your oxidation repair?

I just finished my second wax coat on the starboard side. It looks 100% better but still needs more work. Here are pics of the port (nothing done) and starboard (2 coats.) Disclaimer: it is raining here and photos don't do it justice in the garage lighting. Will post more when I can pull it out side.

5ada8c4ec3c3c88b34f1e9c0b715e089_zps2782

3a01dd6feda9641399b142c3930ffb2c_zps153f

And after ADEL's recommendation on products. Thank you. Looks great.

7d6e7372005ed4f985cd2f0a65efeaee_zps031e

Edited by bovhica

There are 2 options for trans fluid, ATF Dextron III or 10 wt. hydraulic oil, either works. What color is the fluid in the unit now, red will indicate ATF, light tan will be hydraulic oil. Don't mix them would be key advice.

Also, don't put the boat in gear while running out of the water, the cutlass bearing (shaft bearing just in front of the rudder) will get trashed quickly if you do. Always use a fake-a-lake when running on shore as that is the only way to feed the engine with water.

As far as wax and rubbing compound, make sure you use a good cutting compound to remove the oxidation. On dark colors like yours it takes quite a bit of elbow grease. I love 3m imperial. It's not cheap bit it works great. I follow that with 3m finessit to remove swirls and then typically miguiars flagship wax.

If you don't use a good rubbing compound to actually cut through all of the oxidation it may appear to be removed and then when you apply wax it will look fine but it will come back soon.

Your boat looks pretty good, just trying to share a few tips that I have picked up through the years of wax on wax off :)

There are 2 options for trans fluid, ATF Dextron III or 10 wt. hydraulic oil, either works. What color is the fluid in the unit now, red will indicate ATF, light tan will be hydraulic oil. Don't mix them would be key advice.

Also, don't put the boat in gear while running out of the water, the cutlass bearing (shaft bearing just in front of the rudder) will get trashed quickly if you do. Always use a fake-a-lake when running on shore as that is the only way to feed the engine with water.

Thanks for the tips. I definitely won't run the boat out of the water. My dad chewed my a** years ago for that mistake.

Also what is the deal with the two types of tranny fluid. Do these boats have different drives from one boat to the next or is there another reason?

As far as wax and rubbing compound, make sure you use a good cutting compound to remove the oxidation. On dark colors like yours it takes quite a bit of elbow grease. I love 3m imperial. It's not cheap bit it works great. I follow that with 3m finessit to remove swirls and then typically miguiars flagship wax.

If you don't use a good rubbing compound to actually cut through all of the oxidation it may appear to be removed and then when you apply wax it will look fine but it will come back soon.

Your boat looks pretty good, just trying to share a few tips that I have picked up through the years of wax on wax off :)

Awesome....well at least I haven't started on the other side yet. I knew what I was doing was going to be temporary fix with just the wax, but I think after reading your post I will try it your way and start over. If it needs more TLC at seasons end I will probably do the wet sand that was recommended.

No problem. I left out a few steps. I put the imperial on with a wheel and work a two to three foot long section of hull at a time. I work it basically until the wheel is working the residue off and then wipe the rest off by hand. If you by the finessit read the directions. I haven't had to use that in awhile because typically one you cut through to good color and keep the boat clean and waxed you don't have to do a hard cut again. Then I put the flagship wax on my hand and take it off with the wheel using a very very fine high fiber count pad. Polishes it to a great shine. Make the the wax is dry before you take it off with the wheel.

This is what I prefer. There are a TON of products and methods out there to achieve the same results so others will have different opinions but none of us are wrong or right it's personal preference to what we think works best. I'm always experimenting too. Sometimes I will go over the flagship wax with collinite wax which leaves an amazing shine but doesn't have the best longevity.

Edit: that is a beautiful boat. The great thing about boats and fiberglass is they can be brought back to showroom condition with some work. I have always love the look of echelons and in my opinion are still some of the best looking ski boats on the lake! Great buy!!

Edited by ahopkins1988

Thanks. I appreciate your comments on the boat. I feel a bit lucky the more research I do and the more people like yourself that I talk with, the more assured i am of the purchase. I will admit it was a bit of an impulse buy, although I did have some knowledge of boats, but I definitely should have spent more time researching it. Looks like i lucked out buying this brand, model and year.

I've bought the products and will start this week or weekend. Thanks so much for the tips. It would have been trial and error without everyone's help.

Your very welcome. You won't be disappointed with your purchase. Malibus are some of the busy driving skiing and wake boats out there. And they are offered at reasonable prices (compared to some other companies).

Your boat will turn some heads on the lake, especially after you put some elbow into her and get her to shine like new! :)