Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Charging with auto combiner

Faceplant409

I have 2 blue tops and a combiner which basically links the positives via #10 wire when house batt is charging. Once charging ceases positives disconnect. No Perko switch. System has been flawless but want to add a trickle charger.

My question; I wonder if I need to remove combiner during 2 bank charging or should I use a single bank charger and let it think the alt is charging?

I have 2 blue tops and a combiner which basically links the positives via #10 wire when house batt is charging. Once charging ceases positives disconnect. No Perko switch. System has been flawless but want to add a trickle charger.

My question; I wonder if I need to remove combiner during 2 bank charging or should I use a single bank charger and let it think the alt is charging?

Without seeing your exact schematic and type of combiner, I cant say for sure, but my guess is that as soon as you start to charge what you call your house battery, which I take it is the main cranking battery, the combiner will close and combine both banks as it normally does with the engine running. This means both banks, which are typically used differently, will be charged as one. This can effect their conditioning and ability to reach a full charge. Ideally, you do not want the main cranking battery bank and house (stereo and other accessory loads used when the engine is off) to remain isolated during shore charging.

Honestly I do not remember the model. It was from West Mrine and they discontinued it.

Just to be safe, I think I'll add a couple double pole/double throw switches in so I can easily disconnect/reconnect charger and combiner.

I don't want my 2 bank charger fighting with the combiner as it senses a charge. I do not need a fire or cooked batts...

Honestly I do not remember the model. It was from West Mrine and they discontinued it.

Just to be safe, I think I'll add a couple double pole/double throw switches in so I can easily disconnect/reconnect charger and combiner.

I don't want my 2 bank charger fighting with the combiner as it senses a charge. I do not need a fire or cooked batts...

The only risk is that the dual bank charger will not operate in total isolation because of the combiner...exactly as MLA wrote. In that event, the charger is behaving like a single bank model on two battery banks. It's definitely not optimum for the batteries but there is no real hazard. However, you absolutely should take action to ensure that the combiner is defeated and 'open' when the charger is operational. You can do this with one manual single-pole single-throw switch or accomplish this automatically with a disconnect relay that is triggered by the presence of AC (at the same moment the charger is plugged in). I'm assuming that the WM combiner is the potted model (looks like it's encased in black epoxy)? If so, it's intended more for a low draw fish & ski instrumentation application rather than a major audio system. It'll be fine for your current application but if you every add more battery capacity then you need to upgrade. The 10 or 12-gauge wire is telling.