Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Yellow Pine Gate

dtrost27

I realize the teakgate and DIY NSS threads are tough acts to follow but I think y'all are going to be blown away by this gate :lol: . I threw together a gate out of SYP #2 lumber this past spring. It only took me about an hour and I was just experimenting to see if I could make a cheap gate that would work. I didn't get my hopes up but it worked so good we used it all summer and my whole crew has fallen in love with surfing.

With only a 540lb sac on either side of the engine and a driver I can surf ropeless all day at 10 mph and do an occasional 360. Add 6 to 8 people and you get a pretty seet wave that can be surfed about 15 ft back at 11.5 mph. The gate is only a 10 degree angle out from the boat and it's 14" long and 11-1/4" tall. I feel like the older boats do better with a smaller gate with less angle. Plus I can still turn away from the gate if I need to in order to pick someone up or avoid something.

Here's a video of the gate... no surfing though sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n78ujOBmFfI

Edited by dtrost27
  • Like 2

Ok. Those links don't work because you need a user name and password. Oh well the video shows it better anyway.

This winter I do hope to build something a little more permanent.

Awesome. I totally agree....our smaller boat the gate addition make a night and day difference. After surfing with a gate, there is no going back. :)

BTW....I love how fired up your boy was when you tossed the rope. :thumbup:

Awesome.  I totally agree....our smaller boat the gate addition make a night and day difference.  After surfing with a gate, there is no going back.  :)

BTW....I love how fired up your boy was when you tossed the rope.   :thumbup:

Night and day for sure! The boy will hardly let me surf by myself anymore:D

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

So I'm going to upgrade my redneck yellow pine surfgate to a slightly less redneck version of surfgate. The plan is to add 1/4" thick plates of Stainless Steel to the inside of the boat where the swim platform bolts come through. I'll be taking the teak platform off of the brackets and screwing a pressure treated 2x12 to the brackets. Then I'll screw the teak platform back on top of the 2x12. So the teak platform will be 1-1/2" higher. Next I'll screw stainless hinges to the boat for the gate. On the rear of the 2x12 I'll have a piece of aluminum square tubing that runs the length of the platform. I'll have a bigger piece of aluminum that slides on either end of the smaller piece that extends and retracts the gates. We'll start working on it on Sunday afternoon. Pictures to follow..... Let me know if you see any flaws or think I'm just crazy