Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help Boardshorts Bled Color on Vinyl

TTUWATERSKI

I have blue stains all over my engine cover and rear ski locker.

Magic erasers have failed to remove the stain.

No luck with vinyl cleaner either.

What other options do I have?

Lots of times exposure to the sunlight will help them fade away. I wouldn't use anything to harsh to begin with. I remember when a HL State bled on my interior, HL sent me some pink cleaner and it worked pretty good. I don't remember the name but others may.

Lets us know what happens.

We always sit on towels in my boat (white towels) so we don't get and bleeding of colors. One time I did sit on the drivers seat with a red boardshort, didn't think anything of it cuz it was nylon. Wrong, my seat got a pink hue. But after a couple of days of sunlight, it faded away :)

This should remind everyone who has purchased new boardshorts/suits to wash everything a couple times and let them bleed out. Require all guests to sit on towels (not new colored ones either). We had a board bleed in the 03, the sun was the only solution. Now we make sure we wash everything before it hits the boat.

This should remind everyone who has purchased new boardshorts/suits to wash everything a couple times and let them bleed out. Require all guests to sit on towels (not new colored ones either). We had a board bleed in the 03, the sun was the only solution. Now we make sure we wash everything before it hits the boat.

True that, only my boardshorts were over 5 years old and parachute like nylon. I couldn't believe they bled.

Like I said above, we always have everyone sit on towels (white). :lol: Those wraps that girls where over there bikini's are the worst...... In fact, we should make a rule, no wraps aloud. Only bikinis Yahoo.gif

True that, only my boardshorts were over 5 years old and parachute like nylon. I couldn't believe they bled.

Like I said above, we always have everyone sit on towels (white). :lol: Those wraps that girls where over there bikini's are the worst...... In fact, we should make a rule, no wraps aloud. Only bikinis Yahoo.gif

Yes.gif

I've done a lot of research and testing on this subject and here's the deal:

There's absolutely no chemical way to take out dye and ink stains including ball point pen stains. The only method that works is to let the sun bleach it out. Light stains usually take a few days of sun. Major stains may take a few years.

Are you sure the blue marks didn't come from the bottom of a black and gray Hyperlite board?

You think those boards are still out there? Its been almost a year since that batch was out, but it does sound like the exact same thing that happened to me.

Don't forget that when it happened to DenJoe, they sent him a new board, and it bled too. Then they said wait until the 06 came out because they weren't even sure if the problem was fixed yet.

OK so sunlight is the way to go. Thanks for all the feedback.

It's the magic mystery vinyl Malibu uses...people will swear that any stain will dissappear in the sun. From a personal perspective, a guest left a Publix receipt on my engine box and it got wet and bled through. Frustrated.gif You could even "read" what he had for lunch that day and how much the lunch that ruined my vinyl cost. I tried everything with no success and decided I would have to live with it until lo and behold, a few outings later I looked for it and it was gone.

Trust your vinyl, grasshopper, it will take care of you...like Christine, the car in the movie

Is it not theoretically possible for the fabric the very bikinis you speak of to also bleed on to the vinyl? Be safe, amend your rule to ban bikinis, too!

Edited by rts

Is it not theoretically possible for the fabric the very bikinis you speak of to also bleed on to the vinyl? Be safe, amend your rule to ban bikinis, too!

Second that! Let's all ban bikinis this summer! Drool.gif

Oh man, in so, so many cases...please no! For my part I will try to keep any of my own unsightly flesh properly covered.

Joe

How about no swimsuit at all... Love.gif

Check your wakeboard, last year I had the same problem and Hyperlite had some boards out that had not been made correctlly and they were ommitting a gas that when mixed with water it left blue marks on the vinyl in my boat and my buddies boat. What kind of wakeboard are you riding?

Check your wakeboard, last year I had the same problem and Hyperlite had some boards out that had not been made correctlly and they were ommitting a gas that when mixed with water it left blue marks on the vinyl in my boat and my buddies boat. What kind of wakeboard are you riding?

They sent me some special cleaner to get off the stains.

Leave it. Do nothing. Trust me. The sun will fade them out and you will never know they are there after a few weeks of direct exposure. I made the mistake of trying too hard to remove similar stains and ended up worse off than if I had just been patient and let the sun do it's magic.

Caution: Costco "Kirkland" Kitchen garbage bags. They are imprinted with a child suffocation warning that will bleed onto the vinyl. You will be able to read the warning on your vinyl (reverse image). I contacted Costco who put me in contact with their bag manufacturer who put me in contact with their ink manufacturer who agreed with G&S? vinyl (Malibu's vinyl manufacturer) that there was no cleaner that would remove the stain without damaging the vinyl. No cleaners, magic erasers, etc. (I tried them all!) have touched these stains. Sunlight has only slightly helped (2 years later). Be forewarned. Tears come to my eyes everytime I look at the damn printing. (the bag manufacturer did however, send me about a 2 year stock of all the bags that Costco sells; drum liners, leaf bags. etc.)

atleast ban bikini tops Yahoo.gif those guys on Dock 9 have done a pretty good job of enforcing this ban, Im moving to Texas.

• 3 years later...
One time I did sit on the drivers seat with a red boardshort, didn't think anything of it cuz it was nylon. Wrong, my seat got a pink hue. But after a couple of days of sunlight, it faded away

Had the EXACT SAME THING happen to me on this last vacation (Memorial Day). My red trunks bled right into the white vinyl....and now I'l left with a pink captains chair (oh thhhay their thweetie!)

Although, I did some research on the internet, and the consensus is to use a mild 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide (the stuff you can get at Target or elsewhere...it's cheap). Seems it's far less dangerous (read: strong) than bleach, and does the same thing as the sun, but at a far faster rate. They suggested to leave a hydrogen peroxide soaked rag on the seat over the stain, and it goes away in a day or so. Don't know what to do on the sides of the seat though (may have to tape the rag to the side).

I have yet to try the hydrogen peroxide, but I know that solvents of any kind will RUIN the vinyl (makes it brittle and soon cracks). A 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide is safe enough to gargle with (and I do often for colds/flu prevention)....so, it certainly seems worth a college try....

If it works, I'm spraying that 303 Vinyl Protectant all over the seats!

I had red shorts bleed on my driver seat once. Leaving the same pink marks. After trying a couple of products that did nothing, I just let it sit out in the sun for a day. It vanished.