Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tech question -- trying to stay warm and extend season in the great white north!

holden

I picked up 2007 247 LSV this summer. It has the hammerhead engine (not closed cooling).

Great boat and I've been doing some surfing and boarding this fall. It's getting pretty cool and this is the first time in over 12 years without a heater!

So here are my questions:

1) it's a big boat and I want to run multiple heaters ... I was thinking of putting a 2 vent at the rear (have the unit sitting at home) and hook it up in series to a 3 vent for the front.

Does anyone see an issue if I do that?

2)I was thinking of running them with 2 different power switches so that I could turn the blowers on independently.

3) I should at least get the Venturi tube (I think!) but what about the pump? Any advantage/disadvantage?

4) thinking of going nuts -- as this is my first raw water boat ... I was thinking of adding a hot water shower as well ... Am I looking for trouble adding the heaters and the shower?

I have a similar setup with two daisy chained heaters and a pump. I wouldn't bother with the wye pipe, go straight to the pump. There was a really good write up on here in the spring where a 247 owner installed a 2 vent heater in the back with the two hot tubes over the tranny. Definitely use hot tubes. The euro vents work, but the hot air just blows away if not in a confined space like under a towel or blanket.

I don't see why you couldn't turn the heaters on independently. You would want the pump to turn on with either (or both).

All of our dual heater setups are connected in series. Plenty of hot water for both heaters, and the only way to fly in the northeast.

We _have_ just started using the nice magnetic drive pump (oem on all 410's with heaters) on the dual heaters, just to provide better heat at idle as well.

Works great, go ahead and do it.

Peter

When you say hook it up in series, do you mean the hot water feed? I think the 2nd heater core in line will have reduced heat as the 1st one will take its portion.

theoretically. in practice you can't tell the difference (air from both cores is "hot"). Probably the circ pump has something to do with it too.

theoretically. in practice you can't tell the difference (air from both cores is "hot"). Probably the circ pump has something to do with it too.

I wonder how the guys that tried using a regular ballast pump for this are fairing...?

I just got this setup, but I have no idea what I am doing, how or where to install. Kinda confused where it would tap in and return with the 1/2 loop antifreeze.

Heater1.png

Ryan, I'd call pcm. The pcm manual has very good diagrams on where to hook up the 5.7 and 6.0, but I don't see anything about the 550.

I wonder how the guys that tried using a regular ballast pump for this are fairing...?

I remember reading a post from norris mike that his started leaking pretty quick. This is another example of "just buy the right part in the first place," though I think fast freddy did have good luck with the solar circ pump? Heatercraft makes a pump that they recommend... why not get that? I am intrigued about this magnetic pump peter references tho.

I picked up 2007 247 LSV this summer. It has the hammerhead engine (not closed cooling).

Great boat and I've been doing some surfing and boarding this fall. It's getting pretty cool and this is the first time in over 12 years without a heater!

1) it's a big boat and I want to run multiple heaters ... I was thinking of putting a 2 vent at the rear (have the unit sitting at home) and hook it up in series to a 3 vent for the front.

2)I was thinking of running them with 2 different power switches so that I could turn the blowers on independently.

3) I should at least get the Venturi tube (I think!) but what about the pump? Any advantage/disadvantage?

4) thinking of going nuts -- as this is my first raw water boat ... I was thinking of adding a hot water shower as well ... Am I looking for trouble adding the heaters and the shower?

Congrats on the new bu, are you starting a collection? Any chance you picked that up from a guy in chelsea?

A third boat! WOW and I thought I was doing good with the pearl addition at one! Congratulations on your acquisition. :rockon:

I'd love to see pictures of your garage....

Edited by Dare2goBare

A third boat! WOW and I thought I was doing good with the pearl addition at one! Congratulations on your acquisition. :rockon:

I'd love to see pictures of your garage....

Well 2 boats. The 01 response grew up into a 2007 247 LSV. My how time flies and the little ones grow up. Just trying to keep up with all the other toys the other boats have. The poor boat is getting bullied and there is lots of peer pressure to have all the latest and greatest features. ;-)

I dread the day when it starts begging me for surf gate! Lol.

Edited by holden
  • Like 1

I remember reading a post from norris mike that his started leaking pretty quick. This is another example of "just buy the right part in the first place," though I think fast freddy did have good luck with the solar circ pump? Heatercraft makes a pump that they recommend... why not get that? I am intrigued about this magnetic pump peter references tho.

MY little eBay circulation pump works great. It is designed for solar heating so it is 12v and about 2.5gpm. It is all brass insides and fittings, it is a magnetic drive pump AFAIK, the site says mag drive. It puts out heat with the engine OFF for a good 15 minutes. At about 20 minutes it starts feeling just warm.

Here's a link to the one I got. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Solar-Hot-Water-Pump-Run-on-12V-Battery-or-Solar-Panel-Good-to-230-F-145psi-/190635868928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item2c62c88300&_uhb=1

I think I bought the TS5 15PV Cu-NPT.

Edited by FastFreddy

Also you won't be disappointed with two heaters. I have a three outlet heater in a smaller boat and I wish there were more outlets sometimes.

Yeah, 3 in the txi doesn't go very far some days and it's very compressed seating compared to the 247.

Thanks for everyone weighing in. I had looked at gb a week ago and since then there is the new group buy (the spring one is why I have the 2 outlet sitting in the garage)

Pretty much have it sorted out to:

2 outlet with 2 hot tubes at rear (middle). Switch at rear of boat.

Use the circulation pump.

3 outlet up front. 2 for passengers, 1 for driver ... All hot tubes.

Elite X shower.

Warm crew means more ladies on boat and in water.

• Like 2

MY little eBay circulation pump works great. It is designed for solar heating so it is 12v and about 2.5gpm. It is all brass insides and fittings, it is a magnetic drive pump AFAIK, the site says mag drive. It puts out heat with the engine OFF for a good 15 minutes. At about 20 minutes it starts feeling just warm.

Here's a link to the one I got. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Solar-Hot-Water-Pump-Run-on-12V-Battery-or-Solar-Panel-Good-to-230-F-145psi-/190635868928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var&hash=item2c62c88300&_uhb=1

I think I bought the TS5 15PV Cu-NPT.

That's great to hear since Heatercraft adds about $300 for their setup, although 15 minutes is kinda weak, must be cold out to cool the block down that fast. I think I'll stay with the simpler wye pipe though. As long as the boats not moving its always warm enough for us or we wouldn't be out in the first place.