Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Marine Power - Monsoon Corvette LS3

Murphy8166

My only guess is maybe malibu had problems with indmar and is "testing the waters" with this engine? Idk, maybe to separate themselves more from the other manufacturers.

Can you "test the water" with something this big? I would think that it is a complete and total change for that engine and that we will be seeing them in boats by the years end. I guess we will see

No idea, just speculating. I'm guessing if indmar does bad with reliability they will switch the whole line over to marine power. Again just guessing.

I heard that they were getting all the corvette badging stuff. Wonder when this will be seen on boats. From what I have heard though, malibu did some testing with Marine Power LS3s before they made the decision to change over to them for the 2014 model year.

Can you "test the water" with something this big? I would think that it is a complete and total change for that engine and that we will be seeing them in boats by the years end. I guess we will see

They are already being used in boats now. Malibu no longer offers the Indmar LS3, only the Marine Power LS3 for the 2014s.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Marine Power but my Indmar LS3 has provided 100 hours of flawless service this year. Time will tell if Marine Power is the real deal. I doubt we'll ever know if this was a decision of finances or reliability.

I do like the fact that the numbers actually correlate to the engine-450 = 450hp

I never understood why the Indmar's reference engines from the 60's

6.0L 410hp L96 is 409 (409ci is 6.7L, was the large W-motor from 61-65)

6.2L 450hp LS3 was 427 (427ci is 7.0L, big block from 66-69)

SC 6.2L 555hp LSA is 572 (572ci is 9.4L, Cadillac engine in early 70's)

I heard that they were getting all the corvette badging stuff. Wonder when this will be seen on boats. From what I have heard though, malibu did some testing with Marine Power LS3s before they made the decision to change over to them for the 2014 model year.

Hmm... some testing... well, they have to be in the same range or better then Indmar in terms of reliability, maintenance and service. Personally i don't care about the "brand", reliability, maintenance and service are the keywords for me.

I do like the fact that the numbers actually correlate to the engine-450 = 450hp

I never understood why the Indmar's reference engines from the 60's

6.0L 410hp L96 is 409 (409ci is 6.7L, was the large W-motor from 61-65)

6.2L 450hp LS3 was 427 (427ci is 7.0L, big block from 66-69)

SC 6.2L 555hp LSA is 572 (572ci is 9.4L, Cadillac engine in early 70's)

Their numbering is weird and inconsistent.

For the L96, the 409 represents the HP.

For the LS3, who knows. 427ci would be reference to the LS7, a motor Indmar sold a marinized version of a couple years ago. The LS3 is "inspired" by the LS7...that's about where the tie would end there. The base LS3's made 430HP in automotive form...perhaps a reference to that.

For the LSA...6.2L + 1.9L supercharger displacement only = 8.1L. HP doesn't match; ZL1 LSA makes 580HP, CTS-V makes 556HP.

Heck, Indmar can't keep the numbering convention consistent across the different brands they sell the same motors to.

Hmm... some testing... well, they have to be in the same range or better then Indmar in terms of reliability, maintenance and service. Personally i don't care about the "brand", reliability, maintenance and service are the keywords for me.

Yeah, testing... That's what I said, who know though. Could be a good thing.