Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

fuel filter on 2002 malibu sportster

travis411

Where is fuel filter located on 2002 malibu sportste? Boat is missing. I changed plugs,plug wires,distibutor,and rotorey. Still missing seams like it does it worse when gas gets lower.

Where is fuel filter located on 2002 malibu sportste? Boat is missing. I changed plugs,plug wires,distibutor,and rotorey. Still missing seams like it does it worse when gas gets lower.

Hope you found your boat. --------------------------/^^^^

I am not certain on your boat, but on mine there are two fuel filters: one in the back on top of the tank but under the deck in the trunk and the other is on the port side, rear of the engine tucked in close to the block. You should be able to follow your fuel lines from the tank forward and that will lead you to the primary fuel filter.

There is a low pressure fuel filter on top of the tank. You have to remove the rear vent with the 4 screws, then remove the screws holding the chamber where the blower tubes are mounted to be able to move it sideways to see the filter. A bit of a pain but it gets easier after you have done it a bunch. Anyways loosen the clamps, re and re filter and reassemble. Now mine only has the one filter. Like the previous reply said there could be a high pressure filter too by the fuel pump but mine which is a 2003 with a Monsoon only has the one. Make sure you get the right filter...there has been talk about this before. The requirements changed from the original filter. I use a NAPA filter and I BELIEVE it is a 3299. I don't have it in front of me but seem to recall that number. And oh yeah....pay attention to the direction of flow arrow when installing. Good luck...it is easy to do and my dealer charged me 1 hour labour to do it at the 10 hr service...crazy!

There should only be tank filter if the engine is fuel injected. If it is a carb'd engine there is a spin on/off fuel water separator mounted in the bilge.

Peter.

ps - pre 2002 inline filters are a Napa 3033, or a WIX 33033. The fuel line increased in diameter in 2002 and moved to a 3299/33299 filter.

Edited by SmoothWaterMan
  • Like 1

If your motor is fuel injected it might also pay to check the screen on the the inlet port of the fuel pump. Mine was 60% blocked from a previous owners mechanic stuffing up and this caused misfires and hesitation. Once clean motor was like new

There should only be tank filter if the engine is fuel injected. If it is a carb'd engine there is a spin on/off fuel water separator mounted in the bilge.

Peter.

ps - pre 2002 inline filters are a Napa 3033, or a WIX 33033. The fuel line increased in diameter in 2002 and moved to a 3299/33299 filter.

Peter, what year did they remove the filters near the fuel pump on fuel injected? Mine is a '98 and it has two.

Peter, what year did they remove the filters near the fuel pump on fuel injected? Mine is a '98 and it has two.

I received this reply from Indmar back in 2004 when I questioned why my SLXi only had the fuel tank filter while a "friend" (TMC/MBO member) also owned a 2001 boat that had a second filter near the fuel pump. I asked if I should have the second filter added.

There was a running change that eliminated the fuel filter that was between the fuel pump and fuel rail. That filter was not really necessary since the boat had a filter and the fuel pump itself has a screen that was actually finer that the fuel filter on the outlet side of the pump. You could add the filter but it probably wouldn’t do anything for you. We have been running all of our engines for several years without this filter and have had no difficulties.

Larry Engelbert

Director of Customer Service – Indmar

Edited by John I.

I received this reply from Indmar back in 2004 when I questioned why my SLXi only had the fuel tank filter while a "friend" (TMC/MBO member) also owned a 2001 boat that had a second filter near the fuel pump. I asked if I should have the second filter added.

There was a running change that eliminated the fuel filter that was between the fuel pump and fuel rail. That filter was not really necessary since the boat had a filter and the fuel pump itself has a screen that was actually finer that the fuel filter on the outlet side of the pump. You could add the filter but it probably wouldn’t do anything for you. We have been running all of our engines for several years without this filter and have had no difficulties.

Larry Engelbert

Director of Customer Service – Indmar

OK, how do I eliminate my fuel pump filter?

OK it stays, however:

I changed that filter on Saturday. It is the same model filter as I removed and it is in the correct orientation. I could not get the darned boat to start. I suspect particles of "stuff" got past the filter but that is only speculation. Now what do I check and how do I get this bad boy started for the final cruise of the season? Help!

If you changed the high pressure filter and now it doesn't start, that filter would seem like the likely culprit. Pump the throttle a bunch to get fuel into the carb while cranking. But, check to make sure the pump is running and getting fuel too, or add a little fuel to the carb and see if it starts. And check all the normal start items - kill switch, fuel level, etc.

Peter

New rotor and cap - Check

New fuel filters - Check

Fuel pump is pumping, I can hear it and even ran it (briefly) disconnected from the filter with copious flow - check

Kill switch - check

Put throttle in various postions form idle to full throttle, but did not pump

Will try the gas down the throat concept - hadn't thought about that

~10-12 gallons of fuel in the tank - check

Is there an easy way to check for fuel in the rails? Or to clean them out if some "stuff" has gotten in there?

Thanks for the help.