Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery/stereo expert needed.

some of you guys are running some pretty cool stereos with huge banks of batteries. Some are running 6 volts and golf carts etc... but i have a slightly differerant problem. I have a ski boat! Response LXI

and i want to keep it as light as possible to keep the wake as flat as possible ... I like to run my stereo but i dont want all that weight in the boat.

I currently have a 1 Blue top Optima battery about 45 lbs, 800CCA, 50AH

the stereo is

Sony head unit,

1 pair wet sounds 6x9 on the tower.

4 exile 6.5 interior.

2 kicker zx700.5 amps

sony eplod 10inch sub

I can run my stereo about 30 minutes before i start getting nervous... I would like to run it longer but without adding much more weight..

Suggestions?

Edited by tccombs

A second battery is the best option for you. Get a smallish cranking battery, and use the blue top for the speakers. You should be able to find something under 40 lbs. Then you can let that bluetop battery run down to nothing.

A single group-29 to replace you current blue-top will double your Ah, and is only a few lbs more then the current blue top. But, you still run the risk of running it down. A dual battery setup is the best. Adding a group-24 will add about 46 lbs. You may be able to locate it opposite of the current battery for balance. For about a grand, you can go with a 60 Ah lithium-ion that weights only 9.5 lbs. A couple of these would do you just right,

I have a rlxi also I put a gray top optima for starting ,blue top for stereo system ,side by side and didn't notice any diff ,in the wake ,well worth the head ache of woundering is it going to start or not.

• Like 1