Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge on a 95 Sunsetter ?

DemonPilot

I have a 95 Sunsetter and would like to increase the size of the wake for wakeboarding, but do not want to sacrifice too much of the space for people and storage in this direct drive boat . I understand that I will not get a huge world class wake out of this boat , just wondering if the money I spend on a few fat sacks and a wedge will be a substantial improvement from the zero ballast setup I have now.

The setup that I am thinking of for my scenario:

• 300lbs fat sack in ski locker
  • 300lbs fat sack in bow walkway ( figure people can still rest their legs on this sack )
  • Lead bags or small fat sacks behind the rear seat , next to the gas tank . I do not want to put any ballast on the shelf above the gas tank .
  • Wedge ( I currently do not have the wedge )

Is it possible to install a wedge on the 95 Sunsetter ? manual or floater ?

Will the wedge make a big difference on the wake with the 95 Sunsetter hull ?

Where can I find a wedge and mounting hardware for the 95 Sunsetter ? Is there a thread or article that details the installation that someone can point me to ?

Thanks

Honestly, I have no idea. All I can add is a friend brought a surfer onto my 95 last week and tried on my stock boat. He said maybe/possibly with about 1400lbs of sacs, my boat might be able to surf, but not guaranteed.

He has a 2000 Sunscape with ballast that does surf well evidently. Sooo, I think it's slalom only future for me.

Steve B.

I have a 95 Sunsetter and would like to increase the size of the wake for wakeboarding, but do not want to sacrifice too much of the space for people and storage in this direct drive boat . I understand that I will not get a huge world class wake out of this boat , just wondering if the money I spend on a few fat sacks and a wedge will be a substantial improvement from the zero ballast setup I have now.

The setup that I am thinking of for my scenario:

• 300lbs fat sack in ski locker
  • 300lbs fat sack in bow walkway ( figure people can still rest their legs on this sack )
  • Lead bags or small fat sacks behind the rear seat , next to the gas tank . I do not want to put any ballast on the shelf above the gas tank .
  • Wedge ( I currently do not have the wedge )

Is it possible to install a wedge on the 95 Sunsetter ? manual or floater ?

Yes, either will go on that hull.

Will the wedge make a big difference on the wake with the 95 Sunsetter hull ?

IMO yes, my '04 Wakesetter was essentially the same boat & I think it makes a difference. For that boat I'm not sure that the floater would be a good match though. YMMV

Where can I find a wedge and mounting hardware for the 95 Sunsetter ? Is there a thread or article that details the installation that someone can point me to ?

You'll be best off to just get it all through your local dealer. I see people try to score deals on it on Ebay, but I really don't think that you save that much in the long run. If you buy it through the dealer then even if you don't have him install it, you can lean on him a little for advice on the install. Can't really do that if you buy it off of Ebay. Only exception to all of that would be if you're getting one of the older fixed wedges, then you can usually get that setup used at a substantial savings either through the Classifieds here or places like Ebay. Then you'll just need to lean on TMC for install advice.

Thanks

Answers in red above.

As far as the weight distribution, you're probably going to want to play with it a bit. I see 600 lbs in the walkway as being too much, but play with it & see what you like & how the boat drives.

• 5 months later...

Just as a follow-up , the dealer sent me this response after I inquired to have the floating wedge installed this spring :

"To answer your question more in depth about the floating wedge, the reason why we won't install a floating wedge on that model of boat are as followed:
1. The design of the transom and the hull of the boat is not suited for the floating wedge. Meaning that when you the wedge auto sets it is going to put the back of your boat under water. Which in turn will keep the front of your boat pointed up towards the sky the entire time making it very difficult to make and maintain plane. The floating wedge is design more to fit and perform better with the newer hulls.
2. The motor that is in that boat is not strong enough and does not have the torque output to push the boat.
3. From a performance aspect you going to get a much better wake when using a standard wedge than a floating wedge"
I am sure the dealer is correct , but I have a few questions for the crew:
  • What are the differences between the 95 SS SV23 wake hull and the newer SV23 wake hulls that the dealer references ?
  • Has anyone with an older SV23 wake hull swapped the standard wedge to the floater and noticed a difference in wake quality?
  • Agree that the standard wedge is the correct choice in my situation ( as long as I upgrade the foil bolts) ?
I am interested in the floating wedge after reading the many standard wedge horror stories posted throughout this site. Almost every thread ends with the conclusion to "upgrade" to the floater due to its ease of use and durability
Appreciate any feedback
  • 3 years later...
On 3/18/2014 at 1:08 PM, DemonPilot said:

Just as a follow-up , the dealer sent me this response after I inquired to have the floating wedge installed this spring :

"To answer your question more in depth about the floating wedge, the reason why we won't install a floating wedge on that model of boat are as followed:

1. The design of the transom and the hull of the boat is not suited for the floating wedge. Meaning that when you the wedge auto sets it is going to put the back of your boat under water. Which in turn will keep the front of your boat pointed up towards the sky the entire time making it very difficult to make and maintain plane. The floating wedge is design more to fit and perform better with the newer hulls.
2. The motor that is in that boat is not strong enough and does not have the torque output to push the boat.
3. From a performance aspect you going to get a much better wake when using a standard wedge than a floating wedge"

I am sure the dealer is correct , but I have a few questions for the crew:
  • What are the differences between the 95 SS SV23 wake hull and the newer SV23 wake hulls that the dealer references ?
  • Has anyone with an older SV23 wake hull swapped the standard wedge to the floater and noticed a difference in wake quality?
  • Agree that the standard wedge is the correct choice in my situation ( as long as I upgrade the foil bolts) ?

I am interested in the floating wedge after reading the many standard wedge horror stories posted throughout this site. Almost every thread ends with the conclusion to "upgrade" to the floater due to its ease of use and durability

Appreciate any feedback

I have a 95 SS. I added solid weight to the back on either side of the rear seat. About 300 lbs. I have a wedge. With a driver and someone sitting in the back, we were able to surf with the wake, but only barely. If I had a sac in the middle ski locker, I'm sure it would be better. The hull on the 95 SS is SV23 which is good for what you're looking for. I just got an ACME 525 prop and have yet to try it out. I understand it should vastly improve everything 😁