Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tuner/Programmer for F150 Ecoboost

Cory

I'm thinking about getting a tuner/programmer for my 2011 F150 ecoboost. Can people recommend one from experience?

I'm contemplating putting larger tires on my truck (34" tires), adding a 2" lift, and having my 3.55 gear ratio changed to 3.73. So, I'd want the programmer to update my speedo for the new tires, update the shift points of the transmission to reflect the new 3.73 gear ratio, and maybe play with different boost settings when towing for more power. I'm uneasy about messing with the boost settings for more power, so I may not do this.

I called superchip to ask about their product. I liked that their programmer can tune the speedo and shift points for the new tires and gear ratio. I don't like that their programmer can't save your current factory settings and restore them if you don't like the new tune. They said for just the ecoboost, their programmer will just revert your truck back to a known factory setting, which may not be identical to what is currently stored in your truck. The representative couldn't explain why this was so for just ecoboost engines.

I've had my truck in the shop twice for technical service bulletins (TSBs) related to the shudder issue and my engine is currently running well, though it has a little less power than before the last update. During the most recent trip back in April, Ford replaced my charged air cooler (intercooler for the turbos) with a new design and reprogrammed my truck. I have recently found out that there is a new TSB related to the shudder issue in which they are no longer installing the CAC they put in my truck. My truck is running well right now, so I'm hesitant to mess with the programming, if I can't revert to whatever code is currently programmed into my truck.

Any suggestions on programmers???

These guys seem to do pretty well with tuning the Eco. I know one guy that runs one, and the truck is a beast!! Just remember that in the unlikely event you have a serious engine problem and you are tuned, Ford can dig into you computer and see if you had a tuner even if you put it back to stock.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/

Edited by Tims

Why do you need more power for? The EcoBoost is suppose to be the bomb when it comes to 1/2 tons. What are you going to do to beef up the transmission so it can take the increase in HP?

I'm pretty sure my OP explained the three reasons I'm looking at a tuner. Only one of the three had anything to do with power and I said "I'm uneasy about messing with the boost settings for more power, so I may not do this."

If I'm spending money on a tuner, having the option to increase power interests me. I know the tune affects power, cause I can tell Ford detuned by turbos a little with the last factory update. Restoring that power would be nice, but only if I have the option of returning to stock if it creates other driveability concerns....

Edited by Cory

If you go to bigger tires and change your gears you may find that your speedo and shift points may not actually be out much for the higher gear ratio paired with your larger tires will bring your final drive ratio very close to stock.

If you go to bigger tires and change your gears you may find that your speedo and shift points may not actually be out much for the higher gear ratio paired with your larger tires will bring your final drive ratio very close to stock.

Good point. My back of the envelope calculations suggest the tire size change will have a +6% effect and the gear change will have a -5% effect. I will defineately not purchase a tuner until after the modifications, in case I deem it not necessary.

Cool, then tune away!!! It will be like you got a new truck. I want to put a 5 Star tune on my 6.2 F150, but I know as soon as I do, something will go wrong.

I've got a 5star tune on my 6.2 F150 and can't hardly bear to drive it without it, huge difference. He's also the man to talk to when it comes to the Ecoboost tune.

Edited by Bobby Light

Go with an SCT based tuner if you want the ability to use Multiple tunes in the future. Stay away from companies like Hypertech and Superchips as you can't get custom adjusted files and they never seem to make the transmission shift as well. Every truck is different just like every boat and what one likes(the car they tested on) your might not.

The livernois stuff is good, but you are limited to only being able to use their tune files. I don't know what the datalogging capabilities are with that device either. I know the SCT is very good and will allow you to log issues/tuning quirks that you want adjusted so the tuner can see.

For your info I run the SCT on my 2004 Mustang Cobra and I have been using the device since 2006 for datalogging and tuning. My dad uses it on his 2005 F350, brother on his 2003 Mach 1 and its what I am going to buy for my 2012 Ecoboost.

As far as tuners go do your homework. 5 star seems to get good reviews for tow tunes and AED seems to have the hot ticket for power production. If AED is getting into the market I am suspecting there might be some other Mustang based tuners getting into the truck market soon.

The tuners that you can purchase at a place like 4 wheel parts are pretty week when it comes to gas trucks.

I use this guy for our GM trucks and it is light years better than the products at the 4x4 shops. www.blackbearperformance.com. It sounds like the 5 star may be a similar concept.

The tuners that you can purchase at a place like 4 wheel parts are pretty week when it comes to gas trucks.

I use this guy for our GM trucks and it is light years better than the products at the 4x4 shops. www.blackbearperformance.com. It sounds like the 5 star may be a similar concept.

EFI live is probably the best for GM vehicles with I would say HP tuners next. SCT is basically the equivalent for the ford vehicles or what guys have had the best success with.

EFI live is probably the best for GM vehicles with I would say HP tuners next. SCT is basically the equivalent for the ford vehicles or what guys have had the best success with.

Cool thanks - I don't know much about Ford.

SCT is the 5 Star tuner, correct?

SCT is the tuner Mike at 5star uses for his tunes. You can also buy an SCT preloaded with tunes, don't do that get the custom tunes from Mike. He's got an in house dyno he uses to develop his tunes.

So how do these custom tuners work? Do I buy a tuner, take the truck to a local shop, which creates a custom tune and programs it into my truck using the tuner?

You buy the whole deal from 5star or other tuner of your choice preloaded with the custom tunes. You plug the tuner in under the strafing wheel, follow the directions, 10 min later you have a different truck. The tuner downloads your stock tune to the tuner then uploads the custom tune to your truck. You can change tunes or go back to stock whenever you want. The tuner from 5 star comes with 3 custom tunes of your choice. I recommend the 87, 89,91 tow tunes. They are a serious performance upgrade in the Ecoboost.

Eastside Transmission suggested I go to a shop called "Billy Bob's Off Road" down near our cabin on Lake Tapps to do the lift and gear change. Billy Bob's suggested I take the truck to Tacoma Speedometer for the programming work. I'm going to be driving all over the place to get this down.

I've got a 5star tune on my 6.2 F150 and can't hardly bear to drive it without it, huge difference. He's also the man to talk to when it comes to the Ecoboost tune.

Can you elaborate on the before/after? You got me thinking again.....I really do not like the shift points from the factory.