Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Really bad exhaust fumes from Stainless exhaust tips

Brodie

I have the STE's on my boat (not the turn downs) and when surfing, the exhaust fumes/smoke is really bad. It is the worst I have ever experienced behind any boat from any brand. I have never noticed it behind anyone elses boats with regular flappers. I am thinking about trying some 90 degree rubber plumbing elbows(similar effect to turn downs) to see if it will help. I will switch to turn downs if that is the answer, but doubt that little 45 degree turn would make that much difference. Anyone else experience this with STE's?

Edited by Brodie

I realize FAE is the obvious best answer, but wondering if turn downs would improve it to where it's not noticeable like on most other boats that I have surfed (or maybe even regular flappers). In 10 years of surfing, I have never had a problem behind any other boat except my current boat with STE's.

Edited by Brodie

Turn downs are slightly quieter but nothing too impressive. Agreed with above about running rich. If you have a strong smell you are likely running rich and that is generally cause by high fuel pressure (clogged regulator). See this thread

It's not so much the smell, but the cloud of smoke/steam billowing out the back. It doesn't smell like its running rich. It acually looks worse than it smells. It seems more like steam.

Are your manifolds really hot? You may not be getting enough water flow through your headers to cool the exhaust gases properly. They should be hot but you should be able to keep your hands on them.

You need some diagnostics. The exhaust tip is not causing the issue. A very odoriferous exhaust is a sign that the engine is not performing at its best. The deadly gas, Co, is colorless, oderless and tastless, so regardless, you'll never know till its too the point of feeling the side effects.

All exhaust ports, tips or std ports (aside from FAE dispersing them in water) have no effect on the exhaust gases coming out of the engine. The difference in ports is purely sound. From Malibu - STE is the quietest, std flaps are the next, and the 90 degree turn downs actually increase the sound level at slow speeds.

Peter

All exhaust ports, tips or std ports (aside from FAE dispersing them in water) have no effect on the exhaust gases coming out of the engine. The difference in ports is purely sound. From Malibu - STE is the quietest, std flaps are the next, and the 90 degree turn downs actually increase the sound level at slow speeds.

Peter

Peter - Can you clarify something please? What is the product in the following link...STE or 90 degree turn downs?

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756

I always thought that STE and the turn downs were the same thing.

Thanks.

Peter

This is what we have experienced with our "homemade" turn downs, it sounds like it actually is echoing off the water and platform making it sound louder, kinda like driving thru a tunnel.

We get the steam alot too fairly often, Manifolds are warm to the touch but you can hold your hand on them.

That item linked is the STE.

What's in the link is what I consider turn downs. Mine come straight out and don't turn down like the ones in the link. Here is a picture of mine.

post-4769-0-10558500-1380212200_thumb.jp

Edited by Brodie

What's in the link is what I consider turn downs. Mine come straight out and don't turn down like the ones in the link. Here is a picture of mine.

You don't have STE's then - just chrome/stainless exhaust tips.

Here are my STE's installed:

photomay25161044.jpg