Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 Tower (2 person to raise/lower)

747captain

From another thread others were saying how easy its to lower the tower by themselves if THEY HAVE THE RIGHT SHOCKS IN THEM

What does that mean. for me its a two person job and one person needs to be 5'9" or above to push the tower up while the other screws in the bolt on the tower..

If i am not supporting it it will come down quickly by itself.

What do I need to check to see if I have right shocks to tell my dealer?

Tower Components

4 Malibu speakers

4 Halo lights malibu

Mirror

2 Swing racks malibu

2 fixed racks malibu

Sounds pretty loaded. Just tell them you need the heaviest tension strut they have. If the boat is under warranty still, which it should be they should be able to take care of it for you.

You don't wanna have to buy them, they are like 200 something dollars from the local dealer last time I asked.

I had the upgraded shocks on my tower. When I mounted the wetsounds - it would come down slowly unless someone held it. I learned to use my shoulder and get on side screwed in. Then the other side was easy.

Edited by bamabonners

Just an FYI, the boat comes from the factory with shocks that support the accessories that came from the factory. So, if you purchased your boat with no tower speakers or Bimini, you are going to have the lightest shock that supports the weight of only the board racks. Reason being, if you had the heavy shocks on there, the tower would not stay down, but go right back up by itself. So if you bought no speakers, then added speakers after the fact, no, your tower will not support the additional weight you add. You will need to purchase the shocks that meet your needs. So If your tower is not "weightless" and you have the same accessories that it came with when you ordered the boat, I would talk to your dealer.

To be fair, before every says how lame this is, there is no other way to anticipate what people are going to add or delete from the tower. So when the boat comes from the factory, it is spec'd to work as it was delivered.

• Like 3

Mine came from the factory with the 4 speakers in the Titan cans, forward and rear facing lights and a bimini. It is a 2 person job to lower the tower if I don't want it to crash onto the dash. One other thing that irritates me is the bracket for the bimini support for the front part of the bimini has to be taken off or moved because it hits the dash if I lower it. The lake we go to often has a low bridge and we have to lower and raise 4 times total everytime we go out. It's a bit tricky driving under it with the tower lowered and the cans in my way.....

Bobby so you actually said you want a heavy strut?

Apparently the techs at my dealer don't know about this.

Just contacted them and they said one size fits all. if you are having trouble with the tower coming down it has to much weight on it. Dugh

So I guess Malibu don't make a tower that holds the stuff they sell you and operates like the commercials show.

WHAT NEXT?

Edited by 747captain

Have your dealer contact Malibu themselves. This is actually how we found out different struts were made. My boat came with wrong ones, and when I took it in for warranty service because the tower was heavy, that's when Malibu informed them there were different struts. My dealer did not know that until that point in time. They actually put on shocks that would not allow my tower to stay down the first time I took it in. Third time was a charm. A pain yes, but there are different shocks

Have your dealer contact Malibu themselves. This is actually how we found out different struts were made. My boat came with wrong ones, and when I took it in for warranty service because the tower was heavy, that's when Malibu informed them there were different struts. My dealer did not know that until that point in time. They actually put on shocks that would not allow my tower to stay down the first time I took it in. Third time was a charm. A pain yes, but there are different shocks

The only problem is my dealer is 3 hours away.... 1 way. But thanks very much for the response.

What wakebrdr94 posted is exactly right. I ordered my boat with no tower speakers so it had the lighter shocks. The tower shocks can also lose some pressure over time. My light shocks worked ok for a while, but by the end of the year they would not hold the tower up. The dealer told me that one was fine but one was completely dead. Since I put on tower speakers I had them install the heavier shocks.They aren't hard to replace, so if your tower is hard to fold just get the right shocks so the tower works like it should.

Found out this morning from Malibu that there are 3 levels of shocks. 150. 209. 215

Each of them have spec as to what Equiptment they support. With my tower loaded up I need 215 is what table showed.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

did you change them or the dealer?... its a 2 hr drive each way for me, id rather do it myself than burn a day and half a tank of gas