Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Direct drives dead/3 event boat dead?

footndale

"Also I asked in another thread without response are you running buoys at 41' off? What speed?"

I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No we don't even have a course on the lake anymore. I ski 36off at 36 and its all for fun now. When you think your good on open water go to a course and be prepared to be HUMBLED! ;):whistle:

we have a friend on our lake with a 200v and it is not even in the same league as rlxi, txi, or response lx or cb, or the other direct drives. It has a horrible wake unless you're 35 off or shorter, and it tracks ok, but not great. Our club is basically slalom only, and no one will ski behind the 200v. It's an ok pleaseure boat and I bet good for surfing etc... but slalom boat it aint!

"Also I asked in another thread without response are you running buoys at 41' off? What speed?"

I wish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No we don't even have a course on the lake anymore. I ski 36off at 36 and its all for fun now. When you think your good on open water go to a course and be prepared to be HUMBLED! ;):whistle:

I know that feeling. I first got into slalom as part of a ski club and had only ever gotten 30mph at 15' off before I left. I spent the next 4 or so years free skiing and bumping up my speed to 36 mph. Low and behold, I find a ski course in the lake one weekend and give it a run at 36... :rofl: Ya right, not a chance, bumped down to 34, than 32 and between the driver and my timing it was just a mess. 1 year later I help put the same course in for one weekend. I started the weekedn at 30 mph 15' off, than continued to run 6 at 31, 32, 33 and than 4 both ways at 34 mph and 15' off. I was so tired by the end of this weekend from footing and skiing I tried to pull a 2 handed turn around ball 1. As I'm sure any slalom skier can appreciate, that is just hilarious. :Doh: Needless to say I am very confident I can run 34 at 15' off, probably 35 and maybe if I pulled off that perfect run, 36mph at 15' off.

we have a friend on our lake with a 200v and it is not even in the same league as rlxi, txi, or response lx or cb, or the other direct drives. It has a horrible wake unless you're 35 off or shorter, and it tracks ok, but not great. Our club is basically slalom only, and no one will ski behind the 200v. It's an ok pleaseure boat and I bet good for surfing etc... but slalom boat it aint!

Wow, that is the first I've ever heard. I have been dying to get a good comparison review of the 200v and VTX but to no avail.

How much room is in a TXi? We are a family of 3. Could we survive in one, if it had the promo tower?

I like the looks of the x7 or 197 with tower, but here are the negative: the walk over to the bow, the cramped seating around the drivers area, the grab handles in the back seat are in your back, overall size is a little cramped. Txi seems like a bigger boat and addresses thes issues. Am I correct?

Edited by bamabonners

That is such a true statement. It also goes for thinking you are a good driver, until you have to pull someone at 36 mph 35'off thru the course. That is really when boat handling makes a huge difference. I can't imagine what it would be like trying to drive someone with even shorter line.........wait 36 off?

How much room is in a TXi? We are a family of 3. Could we survive in one, if it had the promo tower?

I like the looks of the x7 or 197 with tower, but here are the negative: the walk over to the bow, the cramped seating around the drivers area, the grab handles in the back seat are in your back, overall size is a little cramped. Txi seems like a bigger boat and addresses thes issues. Am I correct?

What....already in hunt for a new boat? I wish I had a bank account like you?

I feel like a 197 is a much roomier boat compared to mine, not sure about he RLXI or TXI. I usually don't like to have more than 4 aboard my boat, just because of additional gear and clutter. I have a closed bow so most ends up there. With a tower you can get all the skis & wakeboards on the tower and leave a lot more room. The problem is when you are skiing the three rear seats cannot be used. And if your kids bring friends then your party of 5 quickly gets larger. (its been a long day, not sure if you meant 3 kids or 1 child + 2 adults)

You should keep your boat, and buy an old closed bow boat, see if skiing is really what your family is going to do.

Edited by Joeprunc

Meh, he changes every year anyways mind as well try out a DD!! I will say if you go DD, get a tower with racks. racks for everything, ie racks for skis! That would make my life so much better in the VTX!

That is such a true statement. It also goes for thinking you are a good driver, until you have to pull someone at 36 mph 35'off thru the course. That is really when boat handling makes a huge difference. I can't imagine what it would be like trying to drive someone with even shorter line.........wait 36 off?

Amen to that! I pulled my buddy through the course last year in his 197. It was much harder than I thought it would be. I figured, how hard could it be to keep it in a straight line. I have more respect for drivers now.

What....already in hunt for a new boat? I wish I had a bank account like you?

no, not in the hunt, but I always like to look around. LOL

I have always liked to look at DD boats - they are just the sleekest, best looking boats on the water, IMO.

I've never been in an SSLXi but from what I've read the newer boats with wider beam offer as much room as there longer predecessors. I have heard time and time again that VTX is darn close to the space of a ~2000 VLX. So I can only imagine a new RLXi would have as much room as a SSLXi.

If you like the RFXi so much why do you have a RLX why not a RLXi?

Like I said I am a non-believer in the FXi, I think between the RLXi. The VTX the bases are covered far better.

I love my RLX and 99% sure I will never sell it. Never got to test ride a FXi or see one in person other wise I would have bought one. At the time the RLX was in my budget. My kids are getting older and will be looking it to a larger Malibu in the future and a VTX maybe my only option. Besides a year ago I free skied 95% of the time and W boarded 5%. This year I have foiled 90% and skied 10%. So my taste in water sports has drastically changed. In the ended if Malibu could build a 21' Response LXXXi with 100" beam, Titan 3 tower and the free board of a SSLxi that would be awesome. Edited by CumminsBu

Yes your correct, TXi all the way.

I have up to five, even six in the boat at times, with six I use the bow rider to, noting that one peson in the count is out on the boom or behind for a tow. With the boom on all works out fine. You with three will love it.

What are you referring to when you say promo tower? G3?

Amen to that! I pulled my buddy through the course last year in his 197. It was much harder than I thought it would be. I figured, how hard could it be to keep it in a straight line. I have more respect for drivers now.

no, not in the hunt, but I always like to look around. LOL

I have always liked to look at DD boats - they are just the sleekest, best looking boats on the water, IMO.

RIGHT ON! My sentiments exactly. Guess this comes from my boat racing days. Lol...

What are you referring to when you say promo tower? G3?

I have heard that G3 may interfere when using ski pole. But honestly, I just think this tower fits the lines of the boat.

this one:

digi42709454_l.jpg

BUUT, this one sure looks good too:

180383.jpeg

Edited by bamabonners

I have heard that G3 may interfere when using ski pole. But honestly, I just think this tower fits the lines of the boat.

this one:

digi42709454_l.jpg

That is definitely the better looking of the two..... That tower looks perfect on that boat.

I will never forget the first time I pulled down a course. You talk about big eyes, this boat is not going to fit between those buoys! I was sure I would hit each one and then need to go replace each and every one!

I've read a bunch of threads saying that the rope will hit the G3 tower at short rope lengths. I haven't had the oppty to ski a G3 towered boat, so can't comment. One real beef I have with the G3 vs promo (also called XTP Extreme) - the G3 is taller, so the bimini is a bunch higher above the driver (normally me :). Not an issue from 10am to 2pm, but we ski either earlier or later in the day...making the lower bimini wayyyyyyy more effective.

Here's an example from my RLXi

D20_87071_zps665c5cca.jpg

• Like 2

Love that boat, edwin!!

Lots of great responses (no pun intended) in this thread. I've always been attracted to the DD boats. I purchased my SSLX because at the time, our budget allowed it vs. a similarly clean, well kept SSLXI. Now that we have it, and it's used primarily in the course, and not frequently with the family, I find that it doesn't completely suit my needs.

The wife LOVES it! She loves it due to the space and flexibility, it's great with the kids, etc..... Course driving and skiing with the SSLX is not bad until you get someone behind the boat running -35. At that point, the tracking starts to become an issue....a serious one at that. As wide as it is, it's strange lining up with the course.....as sixball said, looks like you're going to take out ALL the boat guides, both sides of them.

Times now in the DD market are pretty interesting. As mentioned previously, lots of cash has been pumped into R & D. I think the times that lie ahead for the DD buyer will be good. Pricing seems to remain strong on used DD boats, primarily based on the cost of new ones. I have to hand it to Malibu though.....it's much more cost effective to get into a TXI than any of the others, if you've got that kind of disposable income. Something to be said about that for sure.

I think this thread proves that we aren't dead out there. We are just more quiet until someone starts talking our language!

Like I have said before I think malibu did an amazing job with all of their direct drives because I ski behind many varieties all of the time. They all have their advantages and disadvantages but so do all boats. I really really struggle to find differences between my rlx the TXi I ski and the lxi I ski as far as wake and tracking go. And I do pull my friend into 35 off at 36mph behind all boats. Not one is the same but they are all great. And the sslxi I ski behind is great too. Haven't had my friend who runs short line behind it yet but I can see how the boat would be a bit squirrelly in short lines.

But in reality we are splitting hairs at this point and the majority of us aren't running 35 off at 36.

I also can't complain at all about my friends 2010 cc200 or my friends 2004 mc190. Both great boats to ski behind and drive. They just aren't for me to own :)

Edited by ahopkins1988
  • Like 3

I think this thread proves that we aren't dead out there. We are just more quiet until someone starts talking our language! Like I have said before I think malibu did an amazing job with all of their direct drives because I ski behind many varieties all of the time. They all have their advantages and disadvantages but so do all boats. I really really struggle to find differences between my rlx the TXi I ski and the lxi I ski as far as wake and tracking go. And I do pull my friend into 35 off at 36mph behind all boats. Not one is the same but they are all great. And the sslxi I ski behind is great too. Haven't had my friend who runs short line behind it yet but I can see how the boat would be a bit squirrelly in short lines. But in reality we are splitting hairs at this point and the majority of us aren't running 35 off at 36. I also can't complain at all about my friends 2010 cc200 or my friends 2004 mc190. Both great boats to ski behind and drive. They just aren't for me to own :)

:plus1:

That is definitely the better looking of the two..... That tower looks perfect on that boat.

That tower even looked better on the RLXi. The tower legs fallow the older windshield perfectly.

this one:

digi42709454_l.jpg

Bama.

Yes your right in one account. but I was in a Response with the Extreme Tower at the Seattle Boat company. while in the boat

I beaned my head on the tower three times as it is a bit on the low side for my liking. For me the bottom line would be

for Malibu to bring back the Titain III Tower :rockon: . I would say this was the perfect match for the Response.

post-20239-0-18484900-1380163048_thumb.j