Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

OEM Fin Dimensions

Ndawg12

I will not make claims towards its solidity....but this is with the brace installed. I just have to grind some grooves for pin clips and securing cables and cut a section of noodle for the brace. Might be able to water test tomorrow. In the drive way I can install and uninstall in less than a minute, not sure about floating in the water though.

6_zps8bdd5f48.jpg

Edited by Ndawg12

so is it your plan to be able to completely remove the gate from the side of the boat when not in use?

yeah. At this point I'm not willing to move the swim platform up high enough so that the gate retracts enough to stay out of the water while stowed, I now see what TrickyNicky was talking about, the newer platforms are much wider with a more aggressive angle back to the trailing edge, thus allowing for the gate to be stowed in farther than I can without adding a 6" spacer between my platform and mount. I've already added 1.5", 4.5" might look weird. And I'm not hacking up my platform, I tried my hand at fiberglass work and it failed, miserably!!

When it's in the water you'll just be able to see the top edge of the top hinge mount off the corner of the platform.

7_zpsd741aaeb.jpg

Edited by Ndawg12
  • Like 2

2013 23LSV surfgate has dimensions of...

18.0 inches along the top, 12.5 inches along hinge edge, 18.25 inches along bottom edge and 10.0 inches along trailing edge. The top edge/hinge edge is 88 degrees (measured by a speed square) and the lower hinge edge/bottom edge is 84 degrees...

Hope this helps

I followed these to a tee.

The gate goes on or off even in the water in less than 30 seconds, just have to pull 3 hitch pins and 2 rods. Can't wait to go again Saturday!!

Edited by Ndawg12

what is your angle from the hull. How much is the gate sticking out of the side of the boat? are you running at 160 degrees for are you flatter than that? Have you experimented with different angles?

You have a goofy bracket too or just regular for now? How was the boat weighted?

Since I've verified it works I'll be putting on the goofy side in the next couple of days. Stock included I think we had around 3500lbs with the wedge down and up 2 clicks.

what is your angle from the hull. How much is the gate sticking out of the side of the boat? are you running at 160 degrees for are you flatter than that? Have you experimented with different angles?

Not sure on the angle exactly but you can see it in the pics previously posted. I haven't experimented with angles yet since I used a straight brace rather than a turnbuckle for adjustment. But based on where the hinge is mounted on the gate, the flatter (less angle) I make the gate, the farther the gate comes away from the transom, and thus creating more spray. Only way to rememdy that is to keep adjusting the hinge on the gate which I don't really want to mess with right now since I finally got it to work and my gate will turn into swiss cheese!!

• Like 1

Are you saying that your gate is mounted too close to the platform? Or are you saying the opposite? I would have thought that mounting the gate close to the platform will always cause more sprat since water will have a change to wrap around the transom. I would also guess that the angle of the gate could be much less if mounted out closer to the edge of the hull. The true purpose of the gate is to extend hull length delaying when the wakes converge right?

Are you saying that your gate is mounted too close to the platform? Or are you saying the opposite? I would have thought that mounting the gate close to the platform will always cause more sprat since water will have a change to wrap around the transom. I would also guess that the angle of the gate could be much less if mounted out closer to the edge of the hull. The true purpose of the gate is to extend hull length delaying when the wakes converge right?

Think about the edge of the gate up against the transom. As I swing the gate in, less angle, the more gap is created between the edge of the gate and the transom. Not sure how to explain it any better, or maybe I should draw another awesome MS Paint sketch, or maybe you're wearing your horsehead :biggrin:

Here's the best video of the goofy side we got this past weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6XGjQwUEx4&feature=youtu.be