Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

stock battery cable size

Zombie

Just a quick question. What size battery cable does Malibu use for the starter to battery run into the passenger storage compartment? I'm suspecting probably 0-2 Ga?

Yours should be 2 awg.

Thanks guys for the input. Yeah my issue is similar although I suspect it's a result of how my stereo guy redid my system. Never had an issue whatsoever until I had a shop upgrade my stereo. I'll confirm when I get out to my boat next time (week or so) but every once in a while (very intermittent) I get a low voltage warning. I suspect that my installer ran 4 GA from the batteries to the Perko and I'm seeing the voltage drop there. I was installing a 420SQ this last weekend and noticed some "shortcuts" that the installer did that I'm not real happy with. I've since corrected all those stereo issues but I'm thinking I might need to run either 0 or 2 Ga from the batteries to the Perko. In hindsight, I should have just did it myself.

It would take a mile a 4ga cable to create that kind of voltage drop. Odds are, you actually have a low battery, not a voltage due to a cable. Depending on the distance between the switch and the battery and how the system is configured and used, 4ga may not be undersized. I would closer at how the battery switch and stereo are configured.

When are you getting the low battery warning?

My 95 had 4 gauge. On the positive side, they had a bunch extra, so forced it up into the pass-thru that goes up to the helm. Kinda ticked me off when I figured that out. That extra cable made it almost impossible to pass other cables thru.

So, I ordered 2 ought for the whole kit and kaboodle ! Bought the solder lugs and slugs, trimmed to length. Engine starts so much faster.

Steve B.

It would take a mile a 4ga cable to create that kind of voltage drop. Odds are, you actually have a low battery, not a voltage due to a cable. Depending on the distance between the switch and the battery and how the system is configured and used, 4ga may not be undersized. I would closer at how the battery switch and stereo are configured.

When are you getting the low battery warning?

Only happens every once in a while. Usually when I'm out running the boat and when I briefly turn the boat off and restart. I'll get the warning, turn the key off then it usually starts right up the second time with no warning. The batteries are practically brand new. I run a Stinger AGM for the stereo when I'm sitting and a Duralast Platinum AGM for starting and running the boat. I top the batteries off with a Pro Mariner charger before each trip. The Stinger will last for hours with the stereo cranked no problem. Basically, I have the stock battery cable running to the Perko common then each battery on 1 and 2. For the stereo, I have a Stinger Marine 100 amp circuit breaker about 10" from the Perko which then runs to a distribution block for the two JL amps. The amps are grounded to battery 2. Boat and everything else work perfectly, just get the low warning here and there. Never did it before I had the stereo redone so that's why I was suspicious about the 4 Ga to the batteries.