Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to site - another oil question (91 Skier)

I just picked up a 1991 Skier with the 5.7 Mercruiser Ski Bluewater. I left the manual where i store the boat. From searching, sounds like lots of options on oil. I believe the manual says Quicksilver marine or 20-40 or 20-50. The previous owner ran 20-50. Any thoughts? No need to make this a debate about brands. Thanks!

Malibu recomends pennzoil 15w-40 marine or another of equal quality. I use Shell Rotella 15w-40 in mine. Used it in my last boat and my motocross bike as well. It is great oil. Cross reference the filter to a purolator and save some cash on that as well.

pretty sure the older carbed boats are a tad different than the current 15-40, and the preferred was a 20-50... I would check with Merc. There was a pic/table in my old boats manual...just don't have the boat or that manual any more...I do remember you can run straight 30 wt depending on air temp.

I stayed with Quicksilver because that's what the PO used. There's only 1 Quicksilver weight for inboards: 25w-40. That's prob what it's had since 1991.

Nice. You answered another question I had regarding the quicksilver options. Thanks! I know the seller has been running 20-50 but I may switch back to quicksilver if I can find it - Walmart maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

In the resource section of this site, go to malibu specification and a the bottom, click on the link for Mercruiser manual.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/images/files/mercruiser.pdf

Go to Page 31 for your answer.

Crankcase Oil

To help obtain optimum engine performance and to
provide maximum protection, we strongly recommend
the use of Quicksilver 4-Cycle Marine Engine
Oil. If not available, a good grade, straight weight, detergent
automotive oil of correct viscosity, with an API
classification of SH, CF/CF-2 may be used.
The following chart is a guide to crankcase oil selection.
Oil filter should always be changed with oil.
In those areas where recommended straight weight
oil is not available, a multi-viscosity 20W-40 (SH, CF/
CF-2) or, as a second but less preferable choice,
20W-50 (SH, CF/CF-2 ) may be used."
IMPORTANT: The use of non-detergent oils, multi-
viscosity oils (other than 20W-40 or 20W-50),
low quality oils or oils which contain solid additives
specifically are not recommended.
  • Like 1