Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge, leave it on or take it off?

thealy

Since I am mainly about skiing, and will not be using my wedge hardly at all (if ever), would you reccomend taking it off? I am assuming it does create some drag even in the up position. What has everyone else experianced?

Well that would depend on how "handsome". Nah, I will certainly keep it. Who knows, maybe I will even decide to get the old kneeboard out this summer. But if someone wants to sell their SSP cheaply, that I could be talked into.

drag created by the Wedge is only present at real low speeds and even that is marginal since it's moving through water that's already churned up. Up to you, but if it were me, I'd leave it just to have the versatility.

Take the foil off, but keep it. It will make a big difference when you sell the boat.

That's what I did when I had a Sunsetter and the kids were too little for the Wedge. I could feel a big difference with the foil off. Boat accelerated better and handled better at low to medium speeds.

as is, the wedge is in no way hurting your boat. If you get rid of it, you are closing a window. Maybe you will get into wakesurfing, it is killer in that application. SO i say leave it on. It is alot easier to just not use it, than if you were to sell it, and then try and buy a new one.

... I could feel a big difference with the foil off. Boat accelerated better and handled better at low to medium speeds...

I don't use my Wedge either, and I'm also thinking of just taking it off. It does seem to drag a little during hole shot and also during sharper turns at lower speeds. Problem is, it was a gift from a regular on the boat(just the foil, not the plate) so I don't want to offend him...

While I am ofcourse not going to get rid of the wedge, I am going to take it off. I will then report back if I notice any difference. Thanks all.

I would just leave it alone, besides if you decide to take it, you will need to cover up the holes from the wedge plate, and make sure you dont get any leaks after that. MIO.

Dont do it ! Cry.gif

Ooohhhh. Wait. Don't take it off just yet. This sounds like a great Bu Crew Myth Buster project. "Does the Wedge affect performance when not deployed?"

Be as scientific as possible with a good stop watch and gps and time the boat's acceleration speed both with the wedge and w/o it.

i would say if you never use it,,take it off. of course i am sure u mean just the foil,,and leave the bracket on the boat. if u decide u want it on someday,,,it takes 10 minutes to put back on!

Ooohhhh. Wait. Don't take it off just yet. This sounds like a great Bu Crew Myth Buster project. "Does the Wedge affect performance when not deployed?"

Be as scientific as possible with a good stop watch and gps and time the boat's acceleration speed both with the wedge and w/o it.

I agree! I'm sure there some folks here that could help you devise testing scenarios.

I agree! I'm sure there some folks here that could help you devise testing scenarios.

Its gotta have some detremental effect - haven't any of y'all ever left the door open and got underway - it throws a ton a water into the backseat

In some lakes it's a crime to remove the wedge. What exactly are you skiers doing to these boats!

Have you been listening to Edwin lately? This is madness...

I use mine in a private lake and it does not seem to affect the boat one way or another. Resale value a plus. The only thing that I have noticed is that if you try to hit a hard holeshot and the rudder is turned one way or another it can cause the boat to cavitate for a milisecond. That happened a few times when I first had the boat and I was dealing with some summer traffic on a river. I had the skier out on the side and the boat was not straight but I took hard to get him up before a boat passed and the boat cavitated for a short time. Since then I dont ski on the river a whole bunch and I always take off pretty straight.