Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering

Rmattajr

Thought i saw a thread on this recently but cannot remember. I changed out my steering cable in the spring and it was so easy to turn the boat. I have been noticing recently that the boat is difficult to turn to the left at first then gets smooth again once past that point. When the boat isn't moving i do not have this problem and the wheel turns very easily. Odd that the steering gets a bit stiff at certain turning points when the boat is moving which makes me think the issue is not the cable. Boat is out of the water for the season and tucked away in the garage. Have a newborn that is due any day now so boating season ended early. Everything looks normal under the boat when i looked at it this weekend.

Any ideas?

Congratulations on the newborn, that is awesome, be sure to post up a proud papa photo.

On the boat, have you disconnected the steering cable from the tiller arm on the rudder to see if the rudder turns easily.

Congratulations on the newborn, that is awesome, be sure to post up a proud papa photo.

On the boat, have you disconnected the steering cable from the tiller arm on the rudder to see if the rudder turns easily.

Thanks Boz, I have not done this. I did however do this back in the spring when i diagnosed the steering cable. My only question is when i am at idle the steering turns extremely easily but only have a little diffiuclty when the boat is moving. So will i even be able to diagnose this by disconnecting the cable because everything turns freely when not moving?

Oh and i am liking the new profile pic. Looks great.

• Like 3

Thanks Boz, I have not done this. I did however do this back in the spring when i diagnosed the steering cable. My only question is when i am at idle the steering turns extremely easily but only have a little diffiuclty when the boat is moving. So will i even be able to diagnose this by disconnecting the cable because everything turns freely when not moving?

idk, maybe it needs a shot of marine grease into the rudder. I think most people warn against putting to much grease in, so just one or two pumps.

• 5 weeks later...

How much play does a rudder usually have? i was under my boat checking it out and it can wiggle if i pull and push on it. Its very very little. Is this normal?

I was turing it with my hands and noticed some spots it feels like it sticks a bit. Could it be as easy as greasing it? if so is there a grease fitting on the inside of the boat i can try?

Thanks,

How much play does a rudder usually have? i was under my boat checking it out and it can wiggle if i pull and push on it. Its very very little. Is this normal?

I was turing it with my hands and noticed some spots it feels like it sticks a bit. Could it be as easy as greasing it? if so is there a grease fitting on the inside of the boat i can try?

Thanks,

A VERY small amount of play is usual.

There should be a zerk inside the boat that needs to be greased. Always a challenge to get to, but get to you must.

A VERY small amount of play is usual.

There should be a zerk inside the boat that needs to be greased. Always a challenge to get to, but get to you must.

Ok seems like i would say yes it is a very small amount of play. As far as greasing i believe people said don't put too much in. How do i measure this?

Per your comments sounds like the bushings are fine, just needs a pump or two of grease. I would do a pump, check for smoothness then repeat as needed but only a few additional pumps. Work the rudder a bit to get the grease back in to the bushings, it sounds like they might be a bit dry.

If you do too much the rudder is really easy to drop and clean, might just be a good time to do that as it's an '02. Then it will be silky smooth.

Ok seems like i would say yes it is a very small amount of play. As far as greasing i believe people said don't put too much in. How do i measure this?

This is one of those really nebulous things to measure. Follow Woodski's recommendation, but also use the following principle: "When you start asking yourself if it is too much, it is time to stop." This sage advice applies equally to greasing things, tightening stuff, pushing the wife's hot botton(s), etc.

Do you have a rudder tab and/or any adjustment to it? When I adjusted mine out to the starboard side I then noticed a small "catch" in the steering to the left...?

No i don't believe so. the tab is on the rudder right?

Yeah nope, don't have that. I will try and grease it. Wish i knew about it when i had the boat completely gutted last year because it would have been easy to get to, but its a learning process. I believe i have a floor hatch in the rear seating and also in the back ski locker that pulls out in which i should be able reach in and apply some grease.

If the bushings were bad it would leak a bit of water correct? My boat sits in the water and is bone dry all year as there is no water that gets into it.

What do you guys think of applying a little bit of grease on the steering cable near the rear, where the inside part slides in and out?

For my issue it wouldn't make sense, the steering cable is brand new.

But if you are just asking as a general question i am not sure.

What do you guys think of applying a little bit of grease on the steering cable near the rear, where the inside part slides in and out?

For my issue it wouldn't make sense, the steering cable is brand new.

But if you are just asking as a general question i am not sure.

Sorry for the Hijack, Yes just a general question.

I use Vasoline (not as messy as grease) on it every year when I winterize. Been 8 years and over 1010 hrs on original cable still feels like new.

Edited by dalt1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Update, so I was able to grease the rudder and headed out, still stiff steering at times, def not cable because at idle the steering is very easy.

I'm thinking I need to redo the packing.

What do you think about this video, any good?

My steering cable felt just fine at idle too & only felt stiff under power & in only one direction. It was the cable, everything is great with a new cable