Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Fault - How do you get the code to know the issue

Crustymuffin

This is my 1st post. Bought a 07 VLX a few months back. It's been flawless until this weekend. I got an ENGINE FALUT as I was warming it up on the water. About 10-15 min into operation and at 3K-4K rpm. Temp was good @160-165, Oil pressure was 55-60psi range, I could not see any other issues. How do you get the codes I see in other posts to know why you had a FALUT?

We had a Cold front com in and the Air was 15-20 deg cooler than It was the previous week. Not sure if it was an Ait sensor or what? I stoped checked everyting out. then Tried again. I got one more Engine Fault. after that it Ran like a champ again.

It had 90hrs when I bought it, and I now have 140. I was already planing on a tun-up as soon as I pull it off the water for the season.

you'll find a lot of doubled up sensors. The oil pressure and maybe the temp actually have switches in duplicate to the senders used for the gauges. So you may be holding oil pressure on the gauge, but if the switch fails it will send off an alarm.

That reminds me, I need to order a new switch....

This is my 1st post. Bought a 07 VLX a few months back. It's been flawless until this weekend. I got an ENGINE FALUT as I was warming it up on the water. About 10-15 min into operation and at 3K-4K rpm. Temp was good @160-165, Oil pressure was 55-60psi range, I could not see any other issues. How do you get the codes I see in other posts to know why you had a FALUT?

We had a Cold front com in and the Air was 15-20 deg cooler than It was the previous week. Not sure if it was an Ait sensor or what? I stoped checked everyting out. then Tried again. I got one more Engine Fault. after that it Ran like a champ again.

It had 90hrs when I bought it, and I now have 140. I was already planing on a tun-up as soon as I pull it off the water for the season.

I have the same boat, so here you go.

On your screen, arrow up or down until it shows "Setup" and hit E.

Arrow down to "service" and hit E.

Arrow down to highlight "Fault Codes" and hit E.

Now you will have the choice between Active and Inactive. Choose with arrow buttons and hit E.

I am pretty sure the engine needs to be running to display an Active code, but not the case for the Inactive. I believe the Active code will clear itself to the Inactive tab after a few running cycles, but don't quote me on that. I think it would depend what the severity is as well. Lets us know what you find.

Oh yeah...use the red button on the screen as a "Back" button to get you back to "Setup" and then use your arrows to select the main displays. Good luck.

Dave

• Like 2

Here's the code I got:

Fault 1 of 1

Cyl1misfire

SPN 65591 CM 0
MECH SYSTEM NOT

RESP PROPERLY

FMI 7 OC 127

Would a tune up adress this or could this be a more serious issue to seek Dealer service on? I could not check the 2nd code as it was stil lactive and I could not start the boat on land.

Edited by Crustymuffin

Just check wire is on both ends for cylinder 1 properly first, if that looks okay check the state of the distributor cap for corrosion first, other parts in ignition system should be okay at this stage with 140hrs. If there is nothing wrong with cap pull plugs and see if one of them has a different colour to the rest, but the issue should be with cylinder 1.

Here's the code I got:

Fault 1 of 1

Cyl1misfire

SPN 65591 CM 0

MECH SYSTEM NOT

RESP PROPERLY

FMI 7 OC 127

Would a tune up adress this or could this be a more serious issue to seek Dealer service on? I could not check the 2nd code as it was stil lactive and I could not start the boat on land.

I agree with Manga. Plugs, cap, rotor and wires. Water from the ski pylon can drip straight down onto the cap, so that could be an issue. I have had a misfires happen and an O2 sensors on the CATs fail as well...I would be curious to see what the other code is. Once my computer was updated, I never had troubles with O2 sensors again. I had water in the fuel this year too...that was non stop misfires and engine faults before I figured it out. Good luck.

Dave

You need to have someone look at that. May be a simple fuel pressure issue, but it may be more. The conditions required to set that code are substantial.

Conditions for Setting the SPN

• The ECM detects a crankshaft rotation speed variation indicating a misfire rate sufficient
    to cause emissions levels to exceed a predetermined value.

• The ECM detects a crankshaft rotation speed variation indicating a misfire rate sufficient to cause catalyst damage (MIL flashing).

The engine control module (ECM) uses information from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor in order to determine when an engine misfire is occurring. By monitoring variations in the crankshaft rotation speed for each cylinder, the ECM is able to detect individual misfire events. A misfire rate that is high enough can cause 3-way catalytic converter damage.

You need to have someone look at that. May be a simple fuel pressure issue, but it may be more. The conditions required to set that code are substantial.

• The ECM detects a crankshaft rotation speed variation indicating a misfire rate sufficient

• The ECM detects a crankshaft rotation speed variation indicating a misfire rate sufficient to cause catalyst damage (MIL flashing).

The engine control module (ECM) uses information from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor in order to determine when an engine misfire is occurring. By monitoring variations in the crankshaft rotation speed for each cylinder, the ECM is able to detect individual misfire events. A misfire rate that is high enough can cause 3-way catalytic converter damage. [/

Great info Peter, thank you.

Dave

I talked to service manger at my local dealer about the code. They said 9 times out of ten this is addressed with a tune up. I bought and changed out the Wires, plugs Cap and rotor. I took it out yesterday after I did the tune up. It Started twice as fast and ran very smooth with NO new Engine faults. Just the one inactive one from the other day. My boat is a 07 and it only had 90 hrs on it. I had the same dealer who exclusively serviced it for the original owner do a full inspection before I bought it. Their only recommendation was a tune up at the end of this season. When I pulled the old Dist Cap off, I could easily see that it needed replacing. In fact the #1 point looked the worst. I'll keep an eye on it and when I take it in for the Winterization, Ill have them erase that inactive Engine Fault and check anything else out that might be suspicions.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Crustymuffin

Thanks for the tip I will be doing the wd40 trick as part of my winterization. This cap was the original from 2007. The 1st owner did annual maintenance (oil, Impeller, and winterization) with the dealer but never a tune up. I guess due to low hrs and what not. I knew that even with the crazy low hrs those parts were 7yrs old and needed replacing.

Again, thanks for the help everyone! I’m still learning my way around this boat.

• 2 years later...
On 26/09/2013 at 7:50 AM, SmoothWaterMan said:

The engine control module (ECM) uses information from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor in order to determine when an engine misfire is occurring. By monitoring variations in the crankshaft rotation speed for each cylinder, the ECM is able to detect individual misfire events. A misfire rate that is high enough can cause 3-way catalytic converter damage.

Having a code similar to this except mine reads cylinder 2 misfire and my oc value is 1.

Anyone know what the oc value represents? Is it occurance number?

Regardless after new cap, rotor, wires and plugs it runs smooth as can be.  Code is still listed as active.....any one know how to clear it short of pulling it off the lift and heading to the dealer?