Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 LSV or VLX?

cwkoch

Demoed a 2014 LSV over the weekend.... Great looking boat!! Wakeboard and surf wakes were huge as well... I'm thinking about upgrading from my 2010 VTX this winter, and I'm between a VLX and the new LSV. I'm having a really hard time deciding which I like better. I really like the way the VLX drives, but the space of the LSV is great.

I've got a few hang-ups on the LSV though, related to the interior....

1) Dash- Come on. Give us the analog gauges. The Maliview screen only really sucks.

2) The built in hard cooler is awesome, but the cushion doesn't open wide enough to get it out!!!! You need to pop the corner cushion out, lift the trash can out, then slide the cooler towards the back of the boat to get it out. The hard cooler is nice, but the execution was a fail.

3) Seat backs- They don't have any padding on the lower half. None! Do you need padding down low? I'm not sure. But, it just feels pretty cheesy when you're in it. On a $100K boat, I'd expect a little more out of the interior. The interior of the VLX feels much nicer.

Here's a couple things I really like about the new LSV design-

1) They added like 3" or 4" of depth to it. It feels really deep, which is nice. The bow is also much deeper, and I would feel much better about letting kids ride in the bow. The bow of the VTX and VLX is pretty shallow, and it seems a little dangerous to have kids sitting up there.

2) Under-seat storage- They used the space under the "floor" as well. It's angled downward with the hull like the G23's storage. This adds quite a bit of space under the seats which is nice.

3) Wakeview seating- This is a nice feature. The new hinges are nice and beefy too...

4) New shifter- The shifter with the collar is much easier to use than the "push button" type they have been using. The push button is hard for people coming from other boats to get used to. If you're going to have other drivers on a regular basis, the new shifter is a much better design.

This is about all I can think of right now.... Hard decision between these 2 boats....

It had the 409 .... Unsure of the prop though, trying to find out.

It was a bit slow out of the hole, but it was fully loaded with 750 PNPs in the rear, and no bow weight. So, that didn't help things.

I am really stuck as well, love the VLX, not sure about buying a boat that is half way through transition. I really like the old analog gauges but this soon will be a thing of the past. The shifter I really like the push button and the steering wheel on the old. Although the new one is growing on me.

Sometimes the VLX with a family of five and a few friends is to small. I am leaning towards the LSV, but struggling with giving up what I love about my VLX.

Will be interested in reading more of peoples opinions on the 2014 LSV..

Does anyone know what if any are the changes planned for the VLX?

JK

The boat had the "Torque" prop on it, 15" x 12". I'm guessing it must be the 2315 that they are using....

So, yeah, it seemed a bit slow out of the hole with 2K in the rear of the boat. I'm guessing some nose weight to counter the rear weight would help a lot.

2) The built in hard cooler is awesome, but the cushion doesn't open wide enough to get it out!!!! You need to pop the corner cushion out, lift the trash can out, then slide the cooler towards the back of the boat to get it out. The hard cooler is nice, but the execution was a fail.

sometimes I have to wonder if the engineers that build these boats actually use them..... and I don't just mean Malibu.

The boat had the "Torque" prop on it, 15" x 12". I'm guessing it must be the 2315 that they are using....

So, yeah, it seemed a bit slow out of the hole with 2K in the rear of the boat. I'm guessing some nose weight to counter the rear weight would help a lot.

How many people in the boat? I am struggling with the fact that this boat is best with the 450, but I'm having sticker shock! I am willing to forego some of the other options that I can add later to help keep the costs down, but its still ridiculous!

Only 2 people in the boat.... But, PNP 750's plus all hard tanks full, so there was a full 2K in the rear end, and only 250lbs in the bow.... It needs more bow weight, or less tail weight....

The surf wave was great. But, we mostly hydrofoil, so I was also testing how long it took the boat to get up on plane and to 24 MPH..... It seemed a bit slow, but I'm used to driving my VTX with a 1273 prop, and stock ballast. That thing gets to 24 MPH in a hurry.....

I loved the LSV when I first saw it, but some things have me looking at the VLX instead also. The seat backs thing really seems cheap, hate the helm, hate the glovebox, hate the arm rests in the bow. On top of that the price went up like 8k. VLX is rated for 14 the LSV 15, it's only a foot and a half longer.

I'm going to demo one, but my wife and I have been looking and building VLXs lately, when just a month ago it was all LSV. The more I look at it the less I like it. I guess getting behind one will really make me decide.

CJAY,

I can't see you in a VLX. You've been excited about getting an LSV for while now. Any thoughts on going to a '13 LSV if you really can't tolerate the '14?

We actually have looked around for a 13', but need at least the 450. There is one in Tenn, but don't really like the colors. I love the LSV, but I'm struggling with the 14 for many reasons. There are some pluses I like, but they aren't as big as I thought they would be, the negatives are starting to equal the pluses. Love the 13 still, just hard to find one with the 450

I guess getting behind one will really make me decide.

VLX is my favorite between the lsv and vlx. VLX has the best all around wake on the market, in my opinion, of course... Plus the handling is amazing, can fit plenty of people and junk in it, easy to to tow, easy to store, does really well on gas.

Edited by bamabonners
  • Like 2

VLX is my favorite between the lsv and vlx. VLX has the best all around wake on the market, in my opinion, of course... Plus the handling is amazing, can fit plenty of people and junk in it, easy to to tow, easy to store, does really well on gas.

That's something else I was kind of curious about..... Is there going to be a huge difference in gas consumption between the VLX and LSV??? Not that it really matters all that much, but using less gas would be nice.

My VTX is really easy on gas. Kept a spreadsheet for a season and a half, and averaged 4.0 GPH. Normally running full ballast, 24 MPH foiling.... Some surfing and cruising too, but mostly foiling.

Plus a VLX with the 450 will get up and go loaded

I think Bama hits the nail on the head here.

I have owned two VLX's, we typically have 6-8 people in our crew. We never feel cramped, I have had up to 12 for a full day and surprisingly was not too bad. As long as all boards are in the racks and seats are clear it handled the crew size.

However, I spent 4 days on a 23' MB and the extra length is noticeable. I ended up going with another vlx because of my tow vehicle, and avg crew size. Starting next year two of my three kids are out of the house, my crew size is shrinking. The vlx is a roomy boat for a 21'. I don't care for the new LSV dash, and not sure why they added so much plastic to lower seat area. Hopefully this does not affect the seat comfort. The new dash looks like it would be difficult to see over when driving with no mechanical gauges like the vlx. The boat looks awesome, love the new lines of the boat.

I say if you need the space or use it on a choppy big lake go with the LSV. Both will produce a great wakeboard wake and a very nice surf wake when weighted properly. The vlx also throws a skiable slalom wake at 30+ mph with bow weight.

Make sure and demo both of them in the water, it is a great problem to have...you really can't go wrong with either.

Just stopped by the dealer. They had a new 14 VTX. I must say after putting a hands on, the new dash and shifting lever are tough. They really did a nice job on it. I like the new style (which is more like the old style) glove box. I then jumped in a 13 VLX and it looked old. Not sure what to do but can't wait to get in a 14LSV.

JK

Edited by kaddman

Just stopped by the dealer. They had a new 14 VTX. I must say after putting a hands on, the new dash and shifting lever are tough. They really did a nice job on it. I like the new style (which is more like the old style) glove box. I then jumped in a 13 VLX and it looked old. Not sure what to do but can't wait to get in a 14LSV.

JK

You just had to say the VLX looks old now.... Geez..... LOL. I was almost thinking the same thing. It might not be that it actually looks old, it's just the look that we're used to, and has been around for a few years....

I'm not sure what to do. At least I have months to think about it since winter will be here shortly!

I would probably sway towards the LSV, however, this will be going under a Touchless Boat Cover, that I ordered for my VTX, and oversized for a future VLX. It's not big enough for the LSV as it sits. I did talk to Touchless Boat Cover, and they can add 2 feet to my canopy for roughly $800.... So, the modification isn't all that bad, but will still be a bit of a hassle.

• 2 weeks later...

Going over more scenarios in my mind now..... I have a 3 month old at home. She will be on the water hydrofoiling, wakeboarding, or skiing pretty much as soon as she can walk..... So, my next boat will be what she learns behind. With the slower speeds I'm going to be pulling her at, is the wake behind the LSV going to be "too big"???

I'm pretty sure the VLX is going to be a better boat for a very young kid to learn behind, but is there going to be a huge difference in wakes, with the ballast empty, between like 12 and 16 MPH??