Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 LSV w/350 died on water, won't restart

SurfgateBob

After my buddy Schmidthouse from this forum landed his first TWO tantrums ever, my boat decided it was done. Once I pulled it out of gear after my rider went down, it started hesitating. Sometimes this happens and I can put it in reverse and gun it to get weeds, whatever off, and it seems to help. But this time it just died and wouldn't restart. Turns over strong, and we got it to restart once by flipping the kill switch on and off many times to prime the fuel pump, but it then died again.

Spark is probably good and it seems to crank, so it's probably fuel. It seems like there's air in the fuel line somehow. I did go to lake tahoe last week, which of course is 7000 feet so I'm wondering maybe that had something to do with it. We had two people in the boat, full ballast, wedge, and PnP but nothing out of the ordinary.

It was raining earlier in the day, and after man restart attempts I got some wedge starboard actuator faults as well.

Boat has hesitated a couple times at idle speeds but never died.

Had to get a tow back to the dock. $1050. Yup. You read that right. I have the towing coverage though on my policy. Public Service Announcement: you can buy $2500 worth of towing for like $75/year from progressive. GET IT. Or get BoatUS or whatever.

Any ideas what could be going on?

9879241774_de0646e640_o.jpg

I'm guessing but mayb take the fuel cap loose. Did you get a "whoosh" of air going into the tank? Some kind of suction, vapor lock, altitude, whatever.... thing going on?

Terrible News. Got the Towing Package as freebie from Boat US with my West Marine membership. Tell me what you come up with.

Nice to know since I got the gold membership too.

I'd recommend checking the fuel pump fuses first. There is a fuse box to the side and slightly above the engine ecm mount. The rectangular cover unclips and you'll see a schematic for the fuses and relays on the cover. The two fuel pump fuses are 10A each, and there is one spare in the box from the factory.

If a fuse is blown, and when replaced it blows again immediately, check the fuel pump relay right next to it.

Peter

No, not sure how to do that. How would I do that ?

There should be a schrader valve just like on your car tire mounted to the fuel rail. Turn on the ignition and you should hear the fuel pump start/whine for about 3 seconds or so then switch the ignition of. The fuel rail will now be under pressure so have a rag handy to capture any fuel and just depress the valve with a key or screwdriver. If air comes out you know the pumps sucking air but if fuel comes out time for plan B.

Brad, you will not hear the pumps whine on a 2013 like your 2002.

Its a good time for you or your dealer to hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see what it reads.

Peter

After my buddy Schmidthouse from this forum landed his first TWO tantrums ever, my boat decided it was done. Once I pulled it out of gear after my rider went down, it started hesitating. Sometimes this happens and I can put it in reverse and gun it to get weeds, whatever off, and it seems to help. But this time it just died and wouldn't restart. Turns over strong, and we got it to restart once by flipping the kill switch on and off many times to prime the fuel pump, but it then died again.

Spark is probably good and it seems to crank, so it's probably fuel. It seems like there's air in the fuel line somehow. I did go to lake tahoe last week, which of course is 7000 feet so I'm wondering maybe that had something to do with it. We had two people in the boat, full ballast, wedge, and PnP but nothing out of the ordinary.

It was raining earlier in the day, and after man restart attempts I got some wedge starboard actuator faults as well.

Boat has hesitated a couple times at idle speeds but never died.

Had to get a tow back to the dock. $1050. Yup. You read that right. I have the towing coverage though on my policy. Public Service Announcement: you can buy

Fuel Pressure has nothing to with it cranking. Good cranking just means you have a strong battery and good starter. Also the fuel systems on boats are not pressurized so the fuel cap being loose has no bearing on it.

Check your rotor and ignition coil. My guess is it has something to do with spark. Reset your rotor cap and all the wire that provide spark to your boat.

Shoot it's under warranty take it in.

1. When you go to crank with your ignition on.... do you read good solid 12.6V? what is the volts reading prior to cranking? <---grounding/fuse issue

2. Any possibility it could be your kill switch/lanyard? strong crank + no fire = safety switch issues in many cases. Over compensate...pull it out further than normal, perhaps remove it and check connections on the back of the switch.

3. you have 2 fuse boxes under dash... find the fuse that powers your fuel pump and check that of course.... but wiggle and push up on it hard while someone tries to start. I had a defective fuse box that held the fuses... just too lightly on one side not getting contact.