Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone tried the 5 blade 2259?

Vettesetter

To add to what the OP was asking. If you can fit the 2315 on that hull( don't think so on a deep v like a supreme) it has been pretty awesome. The 2079 is the same pitch as the 2315, just smaller diameter. 14.5 vs 15" of the 2315.

It would help to know what max prop diameter is for that model. Not enough time with one to know, but Skurfer on here is a Supreme dealer and may be able to help out.

I doubt the Titanic spun those 3 blade props at anything over a few hundred RPM, nowhere near the several thousand a towboat turns. Not sure I see where the Titanic fits in here.

But for what it's worth, the Disney Magic and Wonder spin a pair of 8 bladed props.

I'm not sure I agree that a 3 blade universally is more fuel efficient. A 4 blade is less prone to cavitation and runs more efficiently at slower and mid-range speeds. Using less RPM to achieve the same speed as a 3 blade, also using less gas. This is not a universal truth, but if you are operating at wakeboard or lower speeds, I'd bet the best sized/cupped 4 blade runs as or more efficient than the equivalent 3.

Some interesting info from the web:

What's the difference between a 3-blade and a 4-blade propeller?

Three-blade propellers are good for general purpose use and, on many boats, are faster than 4-blade props. However, 4-blade propellers offer significantly different performance characteristics compared to 3-blade props. A 4-blade compared to a 3-blade propeller usually:

dot.jpg planes the boat faster

dot.jpg keeps the boat on plane at a slower speed

dot.jpg gives improved mid-range speed at the same RPM

dot.jpg provides quicker acceleration

dot.jpg has better holding power in rough seas

dot.jpg is less likely to ventilate in sharp turns

dot.jpg offers better low-speed handling

dot.jpg is not as fast on top end

If I want to switch to a 4-blade propeller, what size should I get?

If your current three-blade propeller allows your boat's engine to operate within the upper end of the engine manufacturer's recommended RPM range, choose a 4-blade propeller of the same pitch (or next lower pitch, depending on propeller selection) as your 3-blade propeller. Keep in mind that the 4-blade should decrease your engine 50 to 100 RPM.

What is propeller ventilation?

Ventilation occurs when air from the water's surface or exhaust gases are drawn into the propeller blades. The normal water load is reduced and the engine over-revs, losing propeller thrust. This action occurs in turns, when trying to plane the boat in a sharp turn or with an excessively trimmed-out engine or sterndrive.

In general, 3- blade props are the most common. They are available in wide size ranges and cost less than 4-blades. They typically yield a slightly higher top end speed than 4-blades. They are available in a wider variety of designs and offer more left hand rotation pitch options for twin counter-rotating engine applications.

Four-blades have some features of their own, though. They often provide more lift at the stern which will help accelerate the hull, especially if it is stern heavy. They come out of the hole strong and work well for pulling skiers and water toys. In fishing and offshore boats, they are oftentimes slightly faster than 3-blades at mid-range rpm’s, where coastal anglers most often run their engines. They also deliver slightly better fuel economy at mid-range rpm. Oftentimes, a poor-handling boat will improve by switching to a 4-blade propeller, and more often than not, a 4-blade will run smoother with better balance than the 3-blade equivalent.

A 4-blade propeller will usually have a smaller diameter for the same pitch size of the 3-blade equivalent. This is one reason they spin up quickly and yield good acceleration. The blades are often a bit smaller but offer more total blade area because of the additional blade, so they have more grip on the water. When switching from a 3-blade prop to a 4-blade, you’ll usually need to decrease the pitch by 1 or 2 inches to keep the engine RPM in the same range.

THe key word is USUALLY.

FA05DF36-E90C-42BF-BC91-6678165B7D08-862

1D457679-9ED2-4349-92AB-3F724180528A-862

6DEAC6A7-2471-492C-ADEC-4F66FB1F04A1-862

FF277CE0-5FEE-4749-B449-EF935EB07421-862

You can cut and paste....good for you!! I am surprised you did not cut and paste a prop off a submarine...different props for different applications...never said one size fits all. but hey keep ignoring the facts.

And bbright is the one who started the 16 inch dia...I just went along with his dimensions.

A 4-blade propeller will usually have a SMALLER DIAMETER for the same pitch size of the 3-blade equivalent. This is one reason they spin up quickly and yield good acceleration. The blades are often a bit smaller but offer more total blade area because of the additional blade, so they have more grip on the water. When switching from a 3-blade prop to a 4-blade, you’ll usually need to decrease the pitch by 1 or 2 inches to keep the engine RPM in the same range.

which just verifies what I have been saying..a 4 blade will have a smaller diameter....so the dimensions are NOT the same.. MORE grip= more friction which equates to more gas consumption and lower top end speed at WOT...AS I have said all along same dia and same pitch..not sure how I can explain it any more SLOWLY for ya. frictional forces are an exponential function (velocity is squared) so there would be negliable difference at lower rpms, but would increase exponentially as the rpms increase.

Edited by happypappy

Nobody ignored the facts.:loser: Ask yourself this hotshot. How many vdrive Malibus come with 3 blade props bone stock? Those are facts.

The OP wanted to know what prop was best suited for "surfing" on a Supreme with quite a bit of rear ballast. It's not a three blade for low speed, lots of weight. Especially on a deeper V hull,

You don't have the real estate to run a large diameter prop. That alone makes a three blade the incorrect choice. Who wants a soft, flat surf wave anyways.... Guess you do. That's a fact.

Nobody ignored the facts. :loser: Ask yourself this hotshot. How many vdrive Malibus come with 3 blade props bone stock? Those are facts.

The OP wanted to know what prop was best suited for "surfing" on a Supreme with quite a bit of rear ballast. It's not a three blade for low speed, lots of weight. Especially on a deeper V hull,

You don't have the real estate to run a large diameter prop. That alone makes a three blade the incorrect choice. Who wants a soft, flat surf wave anyways.... Guess you do. That's a fact.

WHo'se got their panties in knot now? No sense in getting all wee weed up over a disagreement about props is there?? I am simply stating differences in props. Everyone is going to have a difference of opinion, mine is base on several props I have personally tried on mine...what worked and what did not. Don't take it so personal!!

And my boat came with a prop that after an hour behind it and driving it, I knew it was not the right prop for the boat.....so just cause it came with it, well it came with it...that's all. Price may have something to do with that. not sure, but usually has something to do with it.

Edited by happypappy

:lol: If you think my panties are waded up you ain't been around here long enough to know the only panties waded up are in the back seat of my truck.

You started this debate by telling the OP to run a 3 blade on a dedicated surf boat. It's ok to admit you are wrong. I am willing to bet 99% of dedicated surf boat owners here will tell you that it ain't the right combo. Maybe on your boat that you ski , foot, whatever behind also.

I'll call Acme and Eric tomorrow of that makes you feel better.

:lol: If you think my panties are waded up you ain't been around here long enough to know the only panties waded up are in the back seat of my truck.

You started this debate by telling the OP to run a 3 blade on a dedicated surf boat. It's ok to admit you are wrong. I am willing to bet 99% of dedicated surf boat owners here will tell you that it ain't the right combo. Maybe on your boat that you ski , foot, whatever behind also.

I'll call Acme and Eric tomorrow of that makes you feel better.

Is this how you argue with your ugly wife?? Go ahead and call Acme...Say hi to Eric for me!! You make it sound like some kinda threat....I could care less whether you call Acme, OJ or any other prop maker....remember they are in the business to SELL props. but I am guessing you are the type that believes everything your told. and I reread the OP question, and there is nothing about dedicated surf boat....not sure which orifice you pulled that out of. The op simply asked about a prop for surfing...and I really don't care to bet with you...I surf behind my boat and I have a 3 blade that works fine when the wedge is deployed and I have added ballast.

Edited by happypappy

Is this how you argue with your ugly wife?? Go ahead and call Acme...Say hi to Eric for me!! You make it sound like some kinda threat....I could care less whether you call Acme, OJ or any other prop maker....remember they are in the business to SELL props. but I am guessing you are the type that believes everything your told. and I reread the OP question, and there is nothing about dedicated surf boat....not sure which orifice you pulled that out of. The op simply asked about a prop for surfing...and I really don't care to bet with you...I surf behind my boat and I have a 3 blade that works fine when the wedge is deployed and I have added ballast.

the boat says surf on it...I think that's where the surf boat part came from. :innocent:

156792.jpeg

I can't think of one modern V-drive boat original spec'd with a 3 blade OEM. I have also been told personally by Eric at OJ and Acme that 3 blades don't belong on v-drive tow boats . Just not sure where this "myth" came from.

Sanger.

I always thought it had more to do with whether you have a 1:1 or gear reduction transmission.

better gas mileage on inboards has to do with lowering RPMs and lowering prop slip for a given load and situation.

highly doubt a 3 blade would be ideal for any modern ballasted application. 4 blades have proven themseleves most ideal for Vdrives with ballast.

back to 5 blades. There is a slim window where 5 blades do outperform 4 blades.... but both boat and prop manufacturers are having a hard time finding where that window overlays/fits best with modern boats to get best performance. 4 blades right now continue to trump.

Now, to the inferred topic by the OP.... 5 blades making a "better" surfwake... there have been reports that 5 blades create less turbulence while surfing.... and less spray/wash.... not sure I believe in that.... but a few folks have reported that.

I will also add that I have been less than impressed with reccomendations from prop manufacturers and online retailers....I suspect some of their reccomendations, although not wrong... were only about 60--70% in the direction that I or others really wanted to get...and I suspect that has to do with what they had or needed to sell on the shelf, or a lack of understanding how the props correlate to performance on our boats.

If you want really good feedback on what prop is best for you, describe how you use your boat, what activities, how heavy you go... what motor, and what prop is on there now.

what do you gain by going to a 4 blade??? reread my post...the correct size and pitch....4 blades ONLY increase gas consumption and reduce performance....period!

Ah, yes, my key word is "Usually..." implying that there are situations this does not apply.

Your key word is "Only..."

"4 blades ONLY increase gas consumption and reduce performance....period!"

Stating there is no situation a 4 blade does anything but increase gas consumption and reduce performance. You're just dead-wrong here. It's entertaining to see just how far a hole you are willing to dig though!

• Like 3

Just wondering what the hot prop for surfing is.

Not for me, my buddy just picked up a new Supreme 226 with 5.7 Indmar and 2 1100's in the lockers.

Guess it would help if you actually read the posts before spouting off huh?

#1 Is this how you argue with your ugly wife?? Go ahead and call Acme...Say hi to Eric for me!! You make it sound like some kinda threat....I could care less whether you call Acme, OJ or any other prop maker...#2.remember they are in the business to SELL props. but I am guessing you are the type that believes everything your told. and #3 I reread the OP question, and there is nothing about dedicated surf boat....not sure which orifice you pulled that out of. The op simply asked about a prop for surfing...and I really don't care to bet with you...I surf behind my boat and I have a 3 blade that works fine when the wedge is deployed and I have added ballast.

#1 .Hahah!, Not at all. She's smart enough to know better...and she can admit when she is wrong. Looks aint everything. Sometimes its what's upstairs that counts.

#2. Ya, and if you follow that logic they will be pushing everyone into a 2153, its about the most exspensive inboard prop out there........but they don't . They will tell ya its not the best option for a boat under 22 ft.

# 3. Have you thought about "HOOKED ON PHONICS".....It may work for you. :dontknow: Supreme Surf edition?? See atached photo

the boat says surf on it...I think that's where the surf boat part came from. :innocent:

156792.jpeg

Oh, and one more thing. If you think I am the guy that believes everything I am "told" .... Search " Surfgate" around here and see what you find. :rant:

15 years or so of boating and 4 differnt Malibus help me know what I know, but I am also wise enough to know ,I DONT KNOW EVERYTHING. Sometimes it helps to get some insight from guys that have more expierience in a given area than myself. In this case....It ain't you my friend.

• Like 1

OK, had to jump in, When "more frictional forces slicing thru the water....friction=loss of performance" is said, it makes me wonder what kind of performance, if we are talking top end then I would agree, if we are talking low end grunt, then I would disagree. I think we all realize there is an application for a 4 blade prop or the market would weed them out because no one would use them. It is the same as NASCAR not using an aggresive mud tire. Both perform just different applications.

OK, had to jump in, When "more frictional forces slicing thru the water....friction=loss of performance" is said, it makes me wonder what kind of performance, if we are talking top end then I would agree, if we are talking low end grunt, then I would disagree. I think we all realize there is an application for a 4 blade prop or the market would weed them out because no one would use them. It is the same as NASCAR not using an aggresive mud tire. Both perform just different applications.

which is exactly what I said in post 29....negilable difference at lower rpms, but as the rpms increase more noticeable as the friction increases exponentially as it is a function of velocity which is squared.

I guess I am kinda confused happypappy, are you saying that there is a circumstance in which you think a 4 blade out performs a 3 blade? Because in the earlier posts it seemed that you thought there was not and I think that is why you got some push back.

Call a spade a spade.

Happy,

You said a 4 blade will ONLY increase gas consumption and decrease performance.

YOU WERE WRONG!

A 4 blade may reduce gas consumption, particularly at higher speeds and will reduce top speed. That is only one an aspect of performance and a rather minute one when you are talking about wakeboard boats.

• Like 2

Just wondering what the hot prop for surfing is.

In reference to the OP question, I've run the OJ Cinco all season on my boat, 2004 LSV with 340 Monsoon. It is a great improvement over the factory 537, but what wouldn't be. At cruising unballasted I have seen a reduction in rpms and an increase in fuel economy (hard to believe, I know since it has 2 more blades than a three blade). Ballasted it pulls out of the hole full MLS and wedge just fine, add a large group of riders on top of the factory weight and the prop has no trouble pulling the boat out. RPMs ballasted have stayed the same or gone down a little depending on the loading. I have lost about 2 mph off the top end. This is not a go fast boat and rarely ever need to hit the top end.

As for a 3 blade being the best for every occasion, take a look a Mercury Racing website. Yes there are 3 blades in most of the styles. But the majority are 4 blade, and "gasp" 5 and 6 blade props. These guys are trying to go as fast as possible with their boats, if 3 blades are the best why would the #1 on the water racing teams ever think to use anything but 3 blades?

Call a spade a spade.

Happy,

You said a 4 blade will ONLY increase gas consumption and decrease performance.

YOU WERE WRONG!

A 4 blade may reduce gas consumption, particularly at higher speeds and will reduce top speed. That is only one an aspect of performance and a rather minute one when you are talking about wakeboard boats.

I NEVER SAID a 3 blade will work in ALL applications. Read my previous post about submarine props...they are drastically different, as they have multiple requirements...one is to be very quiet with no cavitation.

As I have said, I tried 4 blades...have several I ski with that like them...there were noticable differences. I went back to a 3 blade and then had it cupped...a lot. The same prop I surf with!

ANd a 4 blade will and does increase gas consumption and decrease top end if that is not performance , then please enlighten as to what is. If you choose to ignore facts and basic engineering principles, then I can't help you!! Maybe a call to Eric will help??

I NEVER SAID a 3 blade will work in ALL applications. Read my previous post about submarine props...they are drastically different, as they have multiple requirements...one is to be very quiet with no cavitation.

As I have said, I tried 4 blades...have several I ski with that like them...there were noticable differences. I went back to a 3 blade and then had it cupped...a lot. The same prop I surf with!

ANd a 4 blade will and does increase gas consumption and decrease top end if that is not performance , then please enlighten as to what is. If you choose to ignore facts and basic engineering principles, then I can't help you!! Maybe a call to Eric will help??

Is your boat a direct drive? What vdrives have you tried with 3 blades? Do they have 1:1 or gear reduction transmissions?

I'm going to throw my 2.5 cents into the ring and do my best to use words that I Googled to make it sound authoritative... Non-laminar flow fluid dynamics is very complicated science--border line black magic. There are MANY factors that affect prop performance/efficiency.

I would "guess" more blades increases the holding power or grabbing action to the water (for a given prop diameter), which decreases slippage for every rotation of the prop. Stated another way, you get closer to the ideal model for a given prop (e.g., advancing 12" for every rotation on a 12 pitch prop). This increases efficiency. However, I would also guess that more blades means more surface area and therefore more frictional forces when spinning the prop. This decreases efficiency. These factors are competing and I'd bet the farm one or both are non-linear with RPMs.

I'll further guess that when everything is considered, four is better than three, which is better than five for our tournament wake boats--since 4 blades have become the standard.

Edited by Cory