Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Sunsetter for sale - thoughts?

Toronto Boater

This Malibu Sunsetter (attached link) just came up for sale in Ontario. It is not clear from the ad whether it is the LXI (with diamond hull) or the LX. Can you tell?

I am also concerned about the condition of the boat based on the pictures. The floor looks wet, the seats are dirty, and its not clear if there is gel coat damage around the Malibu logo

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-Malibue-profissional-Boarding-boat-W0QQAdIdZ507396898

This Malibu Sunsetter (attached link) just came up for sale in Ontario. It is not clear from the ad whether it is the LXI (with diamond hull) or the LX. Can you tell?

I am also concerned about the condition of the boat based on the pictures. The floor looks wet, the seats are dirty, and its not clear if there is gel coat damage around the Malibu logo

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-Malibue-profissional-Boarding-boat-W0QQAdIdZ507396898

It is an LXI, three piece rear seat, so probably 2000 or later. Jump seats are awesome, worth easy $200 each. Not well taken care of, some of that may come out with a good detailing, but looks like it was used hard and put up wet. The way the boat is presented and the condition of the rest of the driveway items, makes me think maintenance is not a priority, plus the ignition is handing loose and other wires are exposed. Looks like it would be a project.

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 2

The ad states it's a 2001, & I'd believe it based on the dash. As far as the ad, my thought process was like martin's, but if the person is French-Canadian & doesn't have good English skills then that could be explained away. Still, I think that I'd be cautious with that one. It smells mildly like it could be a scam.

Son of a.....

:lol: That's what I get for typing up a quick response and not proof reading it. Darn sausage fingers! :lol:

Oh, that's disapointing, I thought you mispelled it on porpoise

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 3

I look at a lot of boats in this era, and I would give it a 5 on a scale of 1-10 from the pictures. Usually when they can't even clean it up a bit for the ad pictures you will find the trunk and center hold full of stuff, bottles and cans still in the cooler from the last trip and the stereo wiring will be just good enough for it to work. Having said that, if they didn't rip the seats, it seems like they changed the oil at least once a season and the compression is good then you could probably bring it up to a 7 or an 8 with some work and minor money... buy make sure the core items are good. 2% chance the trailer brakes work...

Are you close enough to check it out? Take it for a ride? Make sure it's not leaking any fluids. Maybe wipe down a seat, see if some of the crud comes off. If it just is all cosmetic you could try and low ball him. It really looks to be in poor condition, is not worth the asking price.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I think I will pass on this one. I am not looking for a project boat and this boat does not seem well cared for at all. Too bad, because Sunsetter LXIs are hard to find. Its getting colder here too so I may have to wait until the spring to buy.

Great shame it wasn't looked after a bit better. I cannot understand how someone could allow that to happen to what would be their second or third biggest asset. As a side note in Australia the boat would be steal given most SSLXi's go for $33-$37K.

Just reading the ad again I'd hate to see what dirty is if the seller thinks the boat is clean.

TB, do yourself a favour and look in the states, you will get 20x the options, importing is neither difficult or expensive and with the help of the crew you will likely end up with something in showroom condition.

• Like 1

I agree with TrickyNicky, that's what I did in 07 and have since imported a little boston whaler for wife and kids, both time it was a piece of cake. If you like the ss lxi, I have a response lxi, that is in showroom condition, not a mark, stored indoors in a boathouse and out of water. It is perfect, and fully loaded with options. In 2007 they updated the hull and it's a bit higher freeboard so it's better in larger water to the previous years, and make it feel like a larger boat. Will consider selling for the right price, as I would move to a 2013 txi to replace.