Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

State Fuel Tax Refund

vette-ski

Did anybody know about this, or has anyone actually done it? It could add up over a season. Would sure be nice to leverage this kind of thing in more states. Maybe somebody here can get some use out of it:

Link

Thanks for the link. I've known about it for a few years, and maybe this year, I'll get around to filing for my refund, especially w/ gas prices so high. Every little bit helps.

I saved all my receipts from last year. I have not done this in the past, but figured it was probably a good time to start, considering I could pocket $50 for each fillup if I filed. A lot of the marinas at our lake will track your fuel purchases and file for you at the end of the year. You buy gas - the state sends you a check. Nice service and a way to secure business.

Good reminder vette-ski. I have filed this for the past few years. In the state of Missouri, we get .17/gallon. Not too bad.

I would suggest double-checking Boatus.com's info though...Their summary for the state of Missouri is incorrect. It should read that: "claims must be filed with one year of the date of purchase or April 15th following the year of purchase whichever is later."

So in Tony's case, he has until Monday, April 17th (since 4/15 falls on the weekend) to file a refund claim for his 2004 gas purchases. And I am guessing that Malibu Dreamin' sucks some fuel....

Maybe some of us Cali. crew should start lobbying for a break. I could use ~.20 back per gallon if all I gotta do is save the receipt.

I had never heard of it before. My first thought was heck yeah, why doesn't every state do this. I'm sure the main purpose for taxing fuel was to cover costs for road/bridge repair, snow plowing and salt, etc. It's the "using the road" tax. So why should off-road/recreational vehicles be subject to it when they don't use the road? But it looks like maybe some states do kick back some of the fuel tax to marine purposes. That may not be the case, but I'm wondering if that is why not all states do it. Or is is just because nobody has asked for it?

Did it for the 2005 season in Texas and we recieved a check for $65 this year, I believe it was $.25 a gallon back.

I had never heard of it before. My first thought was heck yeah, why doesn't every state do this. I'm sure the main purpose for taxing fuel was to cover costs for road/bridge repair, snow plowing and salt, etc. It's the "using the road" tax. So why should off-road/recreational vehicles be subject to it when they don't use the road? But it looks like maybe some states do kick back some of the fuel tax to marine purposes. That may not be the case, but I'm wondering if that is why not all states do it. Or is is just because nobody has asked for it?
The California government give back money that was collected through unjust taxation??? :lol: Yeah, right!! No.gif That would cut into CalTrans budget...They might have to fire some of their broom holders...oh, wait...they're part of the government employees union, they can't be fired. Mad.gif
Did it for the 2005 season in Texas and we recieved a check for $65 this year, I believe it was $.25 a gallon back.

What's to keep someone from claiming gas that went in their truck as being gas that went in the boat? Who verifies where the gas actually went?

What's to keep someone from claiming gas that went in their truck as being gas that went in the boat? Who verifies where the gas actually went?

Nothing. Except I'd bet they look at an average of how much people claim, compare that. If you're above a certain threshold, they might ask some questions. Then if they're not satisfied, they might audit you. Or they could just reject the claim.

They might also look at the receipts. If you're boat holds 48 gallons, and you're putting 72 gallons on a receipt, they'll notice something.

Nothing. Except I'd bet they look at an average of how much people claim, compare that. If you're above a certain threshold, they might ask some questions. Then if they're not satisfied, they might audit you. Or they could just reject the claim.

They might also look at the receipts. If you're boat holds 48 gallons, and you're putting 72 gallons on a receipt, they'll notice something.

All of the above, for us we always use super, most of our boat gas is purchased at the same station and almost always on the weekend. It is all on the honor system but, you must produce receipts with your claim and are subject to being audited. They questioned a couple of receipts because they did not have the gas station address on them, we had to respond with the address or store number.

I'd say not much, except maybe if you kept turning in reciepts dated oh say December thru Feb and everyone knew their was 20 inches of ice on the lake that year!

:lol:

I have been doing this for the past 5 years in Missouri. I average about $200 a year back. I helped my buddy last year with his paper work and he got a little over $100 back.

It's not a problem to keep the reciepts and you only have to file once a year.

MalibuNation

The reason Michigan doesn't allow a refund is some of your Mi gas tax goes to the DNR, DEQ to help with waterways, boat launches, fisheries, etc.