Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'14 Axis A22 w/ SG-Overall impressed, maybe selling my V-Ride

ADDICTED2WAKE

Well I was able to try out a 14' A22 w/ surf gate for a few days.

We had 5 people and factory ballast (w/ PNP-450 lockers + bow), wedge down. Surf wake was great. I've surfed the MXZ22 and 24 both with factory ballast and loaded with a couple thousand extra pounds and while the MXZ24 wake was obviously better, I was very pleased with the A22 w/ nothing extra.

The wave had decent push at 11mph, and was comparable to the MXZ22 although the spray gate was very muted and, like the MXZ, did not affect the surfability of the wave. The wave was surfable very far back IMO too. We use a 16' surf rope. We tied it to the transom to gain some more length but it still not long enough. I'd estimate that it's surfable at 18'-20' and I'm 235lbs with a slow board (CWB Razr).

I should note that it had the base 350 monsoon and believe to be the standard prop (3500 rpms at ~11mph)

We did not try wakeboarding (wake should be same as today's). I will say, I opened it up one time heading to the restaurant on our lake and with 8 in the boat, the slalom wake looked much better than I expected-almost comparable to my V-Ride.

The interior is same as before (except I noticed the grab rails appear to be brushed aluminum as opposed to what I believe used to be SS).

I wasn't overly impressed with the audio system but it just had the level 2 system.

What I found most appealing was that I could have an awesome surf wake w/ not 1 bag laying out in the open-this is huge for me. I really don't like having to step around ballast bags all the time. Obviously the time to switch sides is tough to beat too. Additionally, I like that there weren't the rear seats at the transom, allowing for more storage space (I had plenty of room on top of the PNP450's to house the cover and life jackets)

I'm not a fan of orange but this boat, w/ orange metallic gel, did look great.

Over the few days that I had the boat, I had probably 20 people see it and all were very impressed w/ the performance, look, fit/finish (some of them were novices, some were seasoned water junkies). Personally, I think the interior is just OK. The interior in my boat is a little nicer I think. Having designed auto interiors for 12 yrs, I'm a little picky and notice things most wouldn't tho. I also don't need an ultra plush interior in a boat-I want durable.

I'm working on a video of the surf wake to post up.

On a related note, I was impressed enough to think we'll be getting an axis of some kind over the winter (we'll try out 1 more model in the near future). So I just put my V-Ride up for sale which is tough-many memories including proposing to my, now, wife. If interested in learning more about the V-Ride, I've posted it in onlyinboards and can send MANY photos.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=40087

Edited by ADDICTED2WAKE

I could never tell with these videos, but the wave has no height to it. I am unable to achieve this length. Still very new to all of this, but very surprised in the difference between both the SG wave on the A22 vs VLX.

I have the 550 wedge sacs which I have decided are enough. Going any heavier in the rear will make it impossible to plane. It's already difficult plane.

Edited by Afun

Comparing to your V-Ride, what did you find to be the best improvements? Also, any other short-comings besides the interior point you brought up? Thanks for posting this by the way.

Comparing to your V-Ride, what did you find to be the best improvements? Also, any other short-comings besides the interior point you brought up? Thanks for posting this by the way.

Beyond surf gate, the next biggest difference was the additional width. It's amazing how just a couple (I think 3 in this case) inches makes the interior feel much more roomier and easier to navigate when you have people moving around inside.

It has the warming tray which was a nice addition beyond the V-Ride. I like the larger swim deck w/ the rolled rearward edge. And the dual axle trailer is really nice (looks like you already have that though).

Downsides; tower is a pain to drop, compared to mine. My new hoist will have to allow for the tower to stay up because I won't want to deal with that.

Its also 4000 lb vs 3000 and runs higher RPMs (3500 vs 2900) so I'll use more fuel. I may want the high alt prop potentially which I think would make the fuel economy even worse.

Afun, I've watched people surf the VLX w/ SG and 750's in the rear .The wave was very steep but not very long, not nearly as long as the axis w/ less weight in the rear (makes sense). But I agree that if there was much more weight in the rear of the axis, without significant weight up front, it would be difficult to achieve anything over 12mph let alone get on plane.

Beyond surf gate, the next biggest difference was the additional width. It's amazing how just a couple (I think 3 in this case) inches makes the interior feel much more roomier and easier to navigate when you have people moving around inside.

It has the warming tray which was a nice addition beyond the V-Ride. I like the larger swim deck w/ the rolled rearward edge. And the dual axle trailer is really nice (looks like you already have that though).

Downsides; tower is a pain to drop, compared to mine. My new hoist will have to allow for the tower to stay up because I won't want to deal with that.

Its also 4000 lb vs 3000 and runs higher RPMs (3500 vs 2900) so I'll use more fuel. I may want the high alt prop potentially which I think would make the fuel economy even worse.

Afun, I've watched people surf the VLX w/ SG and 750's in the rear .The wave was very steep but not very long, not nearly as long as the axis w/ less weight in the rear (makes sense). But I agree that if there was much more weight in the rear of the axis, without significant weight up front, it would be difficult to achieve anything over 12mph let alone get on plane.

I say my 550's in the rear are the sweet spot for the VLX. I will try no wedge this coming weekend.

Addicted - most people I see on white lake are running way too much weight in the rear and not enough in the bow. I don't think ppl around here really understand the fact that you can't just completely sink the rear end but more the whole boat. ( I know that's not all there is to surfing but the general concept). I had the chance to surf Chris's vlx that does the wake and surf lessons through Skiers Pier. I know you said you were looking at Axis's but if you look at vlx's I would try to get a hold of him because the surf wake on his vlx was very tall long and had a ton of push.