Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding a fuel fill neck on the other side.

WoodyBC

I am considering adding a fuel-fill neck on the other side of my 01 SS LXI due to how the boat sits on the lift. It would be a lot more convenient. Has anyone ever done this? Pros/cons? Pics? Thanks..

Seems like a lot of work with way more cons and very few pros in the deal. I would first check to see if you can get a replacement tank if one of the cons bites you in the buttocks!

Edited by happypappy

Does the fuel tank have a bung or port that you can use for the filler? If not, you will find it very difficult to create a filler neck for the tank that will not leak. The material is not compatible for glues or adhesives to create a filler neck.

Completely spit-ballin here. I haven't taken it apart and don't know how its constructed. Could i run another hose through the trunk then "T" it into the existing filler neck? Or is this just a terrible Idea... My friends 02 sunscape has 2 filler necks and thats where the idea came from.

That might work and would be the better approach for system integrity. Make sure the line runs downhill from the filler to the tank inlet to ensure all the fuel gets in the tank. I would use a hard line to avoid any hose sag that would capture fuel along the run. Join with short rubber hoses, you can easily source fuel fill marine grade hose from any marine supplier.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. After I pull the boat for the season I will take the trunk liner out for an evaluation.

In order to get the trunk liner out, you need to take the whole back couch out.

Here is a photo of the SSLXI gas tank, there are two hose connections on the port side for filling the gas, you can see them at the bottom of this photo, nothing like that on the other side

B34B444C-F72A-4DC6-9B77-3F804795F13A-132

Edited by Bozboat

In order to get the trunk liner out, you need to take the whole back couch out. Here is a photo of the SSLXI gas tank, there are two hose connections on the port side for filling the gas, you can see them at the bottom of this photo, nothing like that on the other side B34B444C-F72A-4DC6-9B77-3F804795F13A-132

No need to remove back couch on my '01 Lxi. Remove trunk panel that covers the rear of the seat back and then manipulate (force) the floor panel out of the trunk.

Looking at Bozboats pic of the tank setup, it appears a second filler tube would be the correct way to go. You would go about it the way the sender unit is plumbed in to the tank. A hole cut in the tank with a lower ring / gasket / tank / gasket / filler neck with flange would be the setup to ensure a good seal.

Solutions.

1. Move the lift to the other side of the dock or otherwise reconfigure the lift to support fueling on the lift. I'm guessing you already thought of this

2. Flip the fuel tank around. Probably wouldn't work. Try it out and let us know.

3. Suck it up and pay $5/gallon at the local marina. May not be useful if, like our lake, there is no gas.

4. Give up and keep doing it the way you always have. In this case you might want yo invest in a bigger fuel can so you don't have to fuel as often. We have an 11 gallon tank with wheels that is pretty cool.