Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

xm7 amp

pedjavilotic

Hi ppl,

i hope i will soon buy xm7 pair of speakers.What can you suggest as proper amp for it?I can't afford Exile Harpoon right now ,so any suggestions would help.

Should i hook it up to 2 channels amp,separately from anything else in boat?I have 12'' sub,and 6 (maybe will be 8) speakers inside boat.Also,i got 2 Alpina cans now as tower speakers,but i am not sure do i need them when i hook xm7 :unsure: :unsure:

Maybe you can advise what setup would be best?How many amps, 2 or 4 channels, how powerfull amps (how many watts per channel) etc...One more noobish question, i saw people speak about hooking up as 4 and 2 oms...can anyone explain a bit? :blush:

thanks

p.s.

Also, if anyone has solid amp to sell,let me know.thanks

Edited by pedjavilotic

Polk Audio PAD000.4 should push them quite nicely. You can pick one up on Amazon for less than 300. Great little amp for the money, with 2 more channels to use for a sub if you want.

My .02

My guess is you want to buy the package deal, making the Harpoon amp $480. With a single pair of speakers you will be running it at 4ohm (one speaker per channel), feeding the 250 watts RMS each.

Now if you plan on going with a single pair of towers and never plan on adding another one, why not save $300 and go with the PPI 900.4 (it's the same amp as the D4000.4 as mentioned above). Bridged it will give you a lot more power than the Harpoon: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38338_Precision-Power-PPI-P900.4.html

If your future plans include a 2nd pair of towers, then you can either go with a second PPI 900.4 or go with an amp that will give you the power you want @ 2ohm. In that case the Harpoon will do it. The Arc Audio KS600.2 will do it with more overhead and some members here have said they have dealer hookups that can get that for under $500, which is a lot of power for the money.

Also, why are you choosing the XM7 over the XM9 or SXT9Q?

For a single or two pair of tower speakers, a 2 chnl amp is a perfect choice, but, IMO, 400W rms is too much for a 6.5 HLCD. Even with 2 pair, 300W rms is pushing the thermal limits of a 6.5" HLCD. I would suggest a Class-D 2 chnl thats going to provide in the range of 175-200W rms x 2 @ 4 ohm, or a 4 chnl thats going to deliver 200-250W rms x 2 in bridge mode.

Every speaker has a nominal impedance, measured in Ohms. Most marine speakers are 4 ohm. The power output, measured in watts, is determined the impedance, or ohm load, wired to a chnl. as long as its with in the amp safe operating range. A single 4 ohm speaker wired to a chnl, and the amp will deliver its 4 ohm output. Two 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel, and the output is the amps 2 ohm wattage. But, when 2 speakers are wired to a single chnl. they share whatever the amps output is. So in short, you cant make a 4 ohm speaker a 2 ohm just to get more power, and there is no switch to flip on an amp to get its 2 ohm power.

arc ks300.2 was the standard 3 years ago, and would do well on the xm7s. It's two channel so you can add a second pair later, and it will power the xm7s nicely.

Not sure how available that amp is in europe.

Pedjavilotic,

Today, for one pair of tower speakers, a small bridged 4-channel amplifier may be the most cost-efficient way to go. A solid 200 watts per channel is all a 6.5" HLCD speaker needs or can handle.

However, if you ever opt to add a second pair of tower speakers, a larger 2-channel amplifier will serve you better at that time. I realize that the budget rules for the moment, but try and plan ahead so that you don't duplicate your purchases, as there is no savings in purchasing anything twice.

Thanks guys

"Polk Audio PAD000.4 should push them quite nicely. You can pick one up on Amazon for less than 300. Great little amp for the money, with 2 more channels to use for a sub if you want.

My .02"

---I can't find this anywhere on google..is this the correct name of the amp?

"Also, why are you choosing the XM7 over the XM9 or SXT9Q"

---- As i said, becouse i recently bought boat ,i am little short with the money xD .I know that this speakers are much better, but i can't afford them.

"For a single or two pair of tower speakers, a 2 chnl amp is a perfect choice, but, IMO, 400W rms is too much for a 6.5 HLCD. Even with 2 pair, 300W rms is pushing the thermal limits of a 6.5" HLCD. I would suggest a Class-D 2 chnl thats going to provide in the range of 175-200W rms x 2 @ 4 ohm, or a 4 chnl thats going to deliver 200-250W rms x 2 in bridge mode."

----this sounds quite logical imo...What means class D?i noticed they have from A to D.That means, D is lowest powered ,or quality...?

D4000.4 is the correct model number.

if your goal is to project music to a wake-boarder on an 80ft tow line, then go with the largest HLCD you can budget. if its the 6.5" HLCD, the rock it. If your goal is to have sound quality for surfing or party-cove, then go with the largest coaxial you can budget. I think this is what Nitrous was getting at.

Class-D or H or A/B are commonly used power supply topologies found in today's mobile audio amplifiers. Class-D is the most efficient, meaning they consume the least amount of battery power to convert to a given wattage for the speaker. Class-A/B is the least efficient. Class-A/B will be a larger amp and consume more battery amp hours, then comparable Class-D amp. In a boat where space an limited battery power is important, go with the most efficient amp you can.