Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery health Battery performance Battery Amperage

hwsportsmitch

So thought would start discussion on your best setup to keep your sound system going strong with out having to keep the hour meter running and deprecation you boat value for idle time. (like my dealer said i don't sell boats i sell floating sound systems) Alternator upgrades, 6 volt connected system, extra batteries, the dreaded capacitors; I would like to see what work for everyone.

My system

2- green inerstate marine with stock malibu switches

stock malibu big a** wiring for power

exile 1500.1 powering to 2 hertz 380 -- 2800 peak watts (1400 rms) turned down

Stock rockford amp think 750.4

10-rockford 8 inch M282b -- 2000 peak watts (1000 rms)

stock rockford amp think 750.2

tower speakers stock wet sound inserts 6 by 9-- 1200 peak watts (600rms)

6000 peak speaker watts and 3000 rms pull

My results system draws tons of amperage reflected by watching voltage on the dash. Which is totally understandable with the the sub set up. With boat off wouldn't want to leave off more then 10-20 mins when turned up voltage anywhere from 12.6 to 10.6 . When boat is running under long bass application lowest if seen it is 11.4 and no more then 13.5 when system running over 30 on rockford headunit dial.

Whats you experience to improve idle time and peace at heart to start the boat after running it at idle.

Get bigger batteries. What model are your interstates? I think you forgot to list some of your gear unless you have all your interiors and tower running off the same amp.

Edited by Bobby Light

I could be wrong on the rockford specs but there the bigger amps included in the sound pack option of the boat from factory. Regardless most of the voltage drop is the subs.

mitch,

Carbon monoxide can be lethal. Mixed with alcohol consumption people are infinitely more vulnerable. So in any case, you want to avoid idling the boat at rest as a means of keeping a battery charge.

Certainly with the direction your are going, the consistent use of a Smart AC shore charger is essential for battery life and weekend to weekend performance.

It's hard to determine exactly what your play time at rest will be as there are just too many variables. However, there is one method that is absolutley measurable. At the conclusion of your duration at rest, you want to measure and maintain a 12.0 volt battery charge, which is considered to be a 50% discharge. That is more of a static number and not what the voltage would momentarily dip to when the bass hits. The occasional slightly deeper cycle is not a big deal, but making a habit of it will result in a much shortened battery lifespan for any consumer grade deep cycle battery. You also want to assess the voltage drop between your battery terminals and the dash gauge to get a more accurate reading. So an estimate for your system might begin with 180 to 250 amp/hours of battery capacity on the isolated stereo bank. Measure the results early so that if needed you can add more matching battery capacity while the batteries are still new.

Don't add stiffening capacitors as they offer no real solution in a towboat application and can actually become a liability to your charging system. It's very different from a daily driver.

I run two 6 volt golf cart batteries and I can play my system for 6 hours no problem, never drops below 12 volts.

2 Rev 10s powered by wetsounds SYN4 amp

2 Alpine type R 12's powered by alpine monoblock 1000 watt amp

6 Wetsounds XS650's powered by 300 watt arc audio amp

• Like 1

Ya that the way think i leaning have a couple 6 volt Trojans sitting in the shop i can use. Can the boat alternator keep up if you put 4-6volts in so 2 separate 12 sources like what in there stock with 2 12 volt batteries? Just more average reserve.

Ya that the way think i leaning have a couple 6 volt Trojans sitting in the shop i can use. Can the boat alternator keep up if you put 4-6volts in so 2 separate 12 sources like what in there stock with 2 12 volt batteries? Just more average reserve.

The alternator will do fine, as it has up to this point, running the system while the engine is running. But, as the house bank grows in Ah, the more you need to rely on shore charging to replenish the batteries.

I have 4 - 6 volts in my boat on two separate banks. I've never ever needed the second bank even banging the system away for 7 hours, and ive got more system than you do. I'd run two 6 volts in series then use one of your current batteries as an emergency reserve as long as its in good shape. You'll need a perko or bluesea switch to wire it up correctly if you don't already have one. This setup is tried and true and used by many folks successfully. Gotta recharge your batteries correctly no matter what direction you choose, that alternator won't charge them.

• Like 1

I have a similar set up as Bobby, only just running two Interstate 6V Golf cart Batteries. Ya they take up a little more room, but I don't store much of anything in there anyway, Not once did I have a low battery situation where my system would suffer loss of power, I do charge it up after every use and keep them batts full of water, The real test was on the week long trips where I could not plug into a charger, They performed perfectly and I think I even have the smaller Alternator on my 320 LCR Motor, I had the 2 Large 12V deep cells before and had trouble with them, Batts.jpgcourtbday034.jpg

Edited by Wakesetter67

Depleted batteries are a real electrical load (even more so under certain circumstances) just like the boat operations and stereo system. There really won't be an excessive load on the alternator until you run the battery bank much below 12.0 volts while continuing to drive the stereo system hard. In that case, if the depleted reserve capacity is large enough, it's not healthy for your alternator. If you lose track and run the batteries too low just go easy on the stereo long enough giving the alternator a chance to restore the battery bank. Good charging system management is a matter of measurement, whether from the factory gauge or a second gauge at the batteries.

With certainty you will not be running around burning enough gas to top off the batteries after a long play at rest. So the larger the battery bank, the more dependent you are going to be on a shore charger. And for good battery life it is important that you recharge soon after the event, and not waiting just before the next outting.

Sure, you could have two symmetrical seriesed 6-volt (for 12V) banks. You could even alternate their roles weekend to weekend for greater balance and longer life. It's definitely not needed, would take up a ton of space, but would work.

I would agree on the part , Good charging system management is a matter of measurement, I will keep an eye on it after awhile and keep it turned down a little or give it and our ears a rest and that works well, Like David said, A good shore charger after every use, Mine is installed on my batteries and when in storage I leave it plunged in year round and keep adding water as needed, I use a RV water maintaining system that is installed on my batteries for easy fill,

Edited by Wakesetter67

It's hard to argue with practical experience backed up by empirical knowledge, but some try nonetheless. I'm sure it's better to outfit a boat with an inadequate battery system consisting of a couple optima blue tops but not in this part of the county. Two 6 volt batteries do not take up much more real estate than two group 24's.

• Like 1

It's hard to argue with practical experience backed up by empirical knowledge, but some try nonetheless. I'm sure it's better to outfit a boat with an inadequate battery system consisting of a couple optima blue tops but not in this part of the county. Two 6 volt batteries do not take up much more real estate than two group 24's.

Ok funny, I was just stewing on that and was coming on here thinking the same thing, In this particular situation, Real life boat on the water, trumps Chalkboard, #1 Since switching to the 6V System I have had, Zero......one more time Zero... Low power issues with the same system I had using my old 12V batteries, So the only thing I changed over last winter was 2 6V golf cart batteries, All the other parameters were the same, Same Amps same appetite for loud cranked all the time music, and all I can say is not one...again not one low power where my system would start to fail, Before after a long weekend my bass would start to cut out and I would have to...Shut her down, So for me I'm convinced this is a better way to go because I experienced it on the water, ( Not Class room) As for Bobby not sure why he need the 6V system, He has a toddler and his wife wont let him crank it up anymore, And for the room, issue, Same foot print as old batteries just a tad bit taller, Any way that's mission control and I don't put anything under the passenger helm but my Amps batteries and a change of Undies... I think it really comes down to how you use your system, I know many who have not had any issues with a 12 V system, But For me it did not work!

Edited by Wakesetter67
  • Like 1

When looking at specs......1 6v GC batteries is rated at 475 AH@25 amps. When using them in 12v system you only get half the AH vs using them at 6v. So two 6V's used in a 12v system will net you 475AH (AH= Amp hours Vince) .

2 of the SRM 29's will net you around 420AH@25 amps. The two options are pretty comparable, and for me... The SRM 29's were a touch less expensive.

Both ways work very well, and all of us have large systems and do use them. I have been very happy with the SRM29's also.

• Like 1

When looking at specs......1 6v GC batteries is rated at 475 AH@25 amps. When using them in 12v system you only get half the AH vs using them at 6v. So two 6V's used in a 12v system will net you 475AH (AH= Amp hours Vince) .

2 of the SRM 29's will net you around 420AH@25 amps. The two options are pretty comparable, and for me... The SRM 29's were a touch less expensive.

Both ways work very well, and all of us have large systems and do use them. I have been very happy with the SRM29's also.

I agree both solid options and are tried and true with boat owners that have systems/ballast on the larger side of the spectrum.

Ya Bobby, But if you switched to the 4 6v System, Think of the wake that bad boy would throw out, Just saying, And again false numbers, Bobby has a toddler to and his wife wont let him turn it up anymore either. So really he cant even test his own theory...LOL love you guys. Hey lets do lunch....

There is no arguement or debate. Everyone agrees that a seriesed 6 volt dual golf cart battery system works very well. The real estate issue is only a concern if the OP uses 6 volt batteries on BOTH banks. Can he make it fit? No doubt. Is there any great benefit to the redundancy of having a golf cart battery system on the starting bank also? Very little.

There is no arguement or debate. Everyone agrees that a seriesed 6 volt dual golf cart battery system works very well. The real estate issue is only a concern if the OP uses 6 volt batteries on BOTH banks. Can he make it fit? No doubt. Is there any great benefit to the redundancy of having a golf cart battery system on the starting bank also? Very little.

That's great, nobody suggested 6volt's for the starting bank. However they do start the boat nicely everytime without a hitch.

Edited by Bobby Light
  • Like 2

Ya Bobby, But if you switched to the 4 6v System, Think of the wake that bad boy would throw out, Just saying, And again false numbers, Bobby has a toddler to and his wife wont let him turn it up anymore either. So really he cant even test his own theory...LOL love you guys. Hey lets do lunch....

I've had this setup for 3 seasons now and pre-baby buddy, it's been excersized extensively without a hiccup :cheers:

• Like 2

I use the boat every day in season so 2- 6 volts 1 original 12 for back up way i'm going to go. Thanks for the great discussion. BU Rocks!

• Like 1