Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stand alone batteries

OLDGUY

I have two batteries that are "Deep cycle/Starter" hooked in parallel. 800 cold cranking amps, 110 amp hrs, Res cap 180. I recently bought two new ones and installed them.

Ok I have everything hooked to them. I have a ballast system with 5 fill pumps (1 impeller pump). My stereo has 2 amps and a self amplified subwoofer.

My old batteries are still good. I was thinking about putting them in my boat and hooking the pumps or the stereo to them. What I mean by stand alone is there not going to be hooked up to the alternator. They will be recharged with a on board charger before I go out. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Is there any way to hook up the batteries so they do get charged by the alternator?

I run one of these in my service truck.

http://www.ase-supply.com/Sure_Power_1314_200_Battery_Separator_p/sp-1314-200.htm

Simple install, has worked flawlessly running my Spacekap Lights and 2000W puresine inverter which runs my tool battery chargers, and Waeco cooler.

When the starting battery has risen to 13.2V the relay closes and allows the "house" batteries to charge. When you shut off the engine and run the "house" accessories once the starting battery gets below 12.8V it will open the relay and separate the batteries leaving you with a fully charged starting battery and never be stranded.

I also have a hardwired battery charger connected to the starting battery. Once it reaches 13.2V the relay will close and charge the house battery.

I plan on installing this system on my boat when I add a second battery in the off season. Hardest part will isolating the factory accessories. Still only an afternoon of work. I don't understand why a 1-2-All switch would be required in the blue sea add a battery kits, I prefer everything to happen automatically.

There is also a self boost function, you can wire a 3-12v switch to a terminal on the back and it will close the relay on command.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I have 2 batteries in my boat. I thinking about putting 2 more in that a have. Those are the ones that I am talking about. Will it work or be worth the trouble. Full charge when I leave the house. How long will they last running the pumps? etc. if their not hooked to the alternator.

I answered the last sentence of your post. Yes there is a way to hook them up to be charged by the alternator.

It's much less hassle to have them wired correctly with a smart solenoid than to pull them out of the boat, if you leave then in the boat to charge then I say again, why not wire them with a solenoid so everything charges together.

• Like 1

Jason, I have something like his in my boat. It was sold bt West marine, years ago.

A battery combiner.

Basically if my house batt is over 13.1 it will connect the + side of the 2nd batt.

I looked for another one but could not locate any.

I would be wary of your example as I do not see a USCG or 'ignition protected' anywhere....

I wonder if they make a marine version?

I would consider splitting your current two batteries that are wired in parallel and install a dual-battery switch between them. Both batteries can be charged by the alternator and one can always be kept in reserve for restarting.

^^^^ By solenoid I assume you mean an automatic charging relay?

Hellroaring ACRs.... They have a 150a and 300a versions. I had one if these in my first boat... I would rather have one of these than a Perko if it wasn't necessary.

Jason, I have something like his in my boat. It was sold bt West marine, years ago.

A battery combiner.

Basically if my house batt is over 13.1 it will connect the + side of the 2nd batt.

I looked for another one but could not locate any.

I would be wary of your example as I do not see a USCG or 'ignition protected' anywhere....

I wonder if they make a marine version?

Supra/Moomba use the Sure Power isolator and I've found several examples of it in a marine environment. Mine will be under the observers seat storage compartment. And yes by solenoid I mean the Sure Power unit, which is a "smart solenoid". Poor choice of words.