Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gate on 05-08 vlx

badluck

I've seen it on an 05 lsv. I met a guy at castaic out here and he had a fabricator do it. Gates, swimstep, rocker switches on the dash. Looked like the axis setup. Said it cost him 5k. Looked pretty impressive. I dd not get his name or the guy who did the work, but it was really clean

I'm not sure that I would take any of that & apply it to a VLX. The VLX & LSV boats from those years produce vastly different wakes given the same weight. Given how many people here have fabbed up what equates to a piece of plywood strapped to the swim platform for less than $50, it seems like it would be a cheap & harmless thing to try.

• Like 1

I agree, I don't think I would just say "whatever you did to that boat, do to mine." If it were me, I'd probably play with the plywood type idea to get the weighting and angles right. After that was figured out, then take it to the guy (if I knew who it was) and work closely with him to do the install and tell him where the gates and angles needed to be. Martin has done a phenomenal job with his and I would think if you had the angles and weight down, could be applied to ALMOST any boat.

Then again I am no engineer, but a 5k upgrade vs 80k is a lot cheaper if you can't afford the new one

If you want it your going to have to build it or pony up the $$. There's no major tricks or complications just a lot of small ones to be done on the spot regarding lining up with the boat transom etc.

I'll be doing it this winter.I don't think the in/out angle is difficult as that will be adjustable with the actuators.How far in and top/bottom angle for hinge mounting is where I'm concerned.The shape of the gates is pretty easy to modify.Making sure I can get them tucked in and flush with the swim step is another concern.I think raising the swim step might need to be done or fabbing a new one with a narrow back might also be needed.I'll be starting with wood and clamps.

BL, do you have fiberglass platform?

My suggestion would be to raise your swim deck a good 6" and than have the gates tuck underneath the platform. By leaving the gates at the side of the platform you can run into issues with the closed gate (surfside) blocking the water from wrapping around the boat nicely. This resulted in a "step" in my wave which I was able to reduce by trimming up the trailing edge up the gate but it did not eliminate it the way MartinArcher was able to. If you want to eliminate it I only see these options:

1- Lift swimdeck by 6" (keep brackets as is but add spacer in betwen platform and support brackets)

2-Re-fabricate swimdeck so gates can tuck further in. (Not so bad with teak, fiberglass not so much)

Just remember when/if you decide to go from a removable system to a permanent system, to try the removable system on BOTH sides, with one gate closed and the other open. This will create new issues with the closed gate that won't be discovered when only running one open gate.