Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion Bimini Surf Rope Rub

Ndawg12

Another :plus1: for my old Titan3 :whistle: Illusion Tower and bimini: The back edge of my bimini is worn through and looks terrible because the surf rope rubs on the port side since most of my crew is regular. Actually the previous owner did most of the damage but we've finished it off and the bar (12" or so) is now exposed. Anyone else dealt with this? Can a good canvas shop sew another piece in? Is just the bimini, without the bracing, available for purchase some where? What have you done to prevent this damage?

TIA,

Nate

FWIW, I've always attached my surf rope to the ski pylon (ordered online and, when I received it, I realized it wasn't long enough to use if attached to the Illusion X). Works just fine. It does rub a little on the back edge of the rear sun pad on start up, but no damage has occurred there. In my experience, nobody, including newbies trying surfing for the first time, has ever had a problem getting up using the ski pylon as the tow point. YMMV.

Take it to your local sewing shop and I am sure they can sew in a patch for you. May not look pretty but it will be functional and you can pick up a new top later down the road if you are not satisfied. We had this issue behind our 08 VLX and went with using the ski pylon instead but then it rubs on the rear deck and its harder for my old man to get up this way.

FWIW, I've always attached my surf rope to the ski pylon (ordered online and, when I received it, I realized it wasn't long enough to use if attached to the Illusion X). Works just fine. It does rub a little on the back edge of the rear sun pad on start up, but no damage has occurred there. In my experience, nobody, including newbies trying surfing for the first time, has ever had a problem getting up using the ski pylon as the tow point. YMMV.

We exclusively use our rear grab handle for our surf tow rope. The purpose of which was to never have to remove it. A couple things to note though:

1- It is more difficult for people to get up. only ever switched to the tower for 2 newbies (out of ~40)

2- It is more difficult to get the rope back to your downed rider

3- The rope is never in the way of a passenger the way it can be when on the tower

4- no rubbing

I can see that the ski pylon would be a compromise of all these things.

Edited by TrickyNicky

Good suggestions guys but I'd still like to use the tower. I wonder if there's something I could wrap that section of rope with so that it's not so abrasive, thinking foam pipe insulation but something more durable and won't move around....

Might could use a section of pvc pipe longe enough to cover the area it rubs and put something on each end to stop it from sliding past that point (maybe even tie a knot at each end), that way the pvc will roll over the contact area freely instead of the rope creating a rope burn area?

• Like 1

Good suggestions guys but I'd still like to use the tower. I wonder if there's something I could wrap that section of rope with so that it's not so abrasive, thinking foam pipe insulation but something more durable and won't move aroundc

Could you cut a piece of a pool noodle and slide it over the rope then the noodle would just glide on the bimini??

Does you rope actually rub the Bimini when towing?

no but it certainly does when we're trying to swing newbies over to the port side when starting.

Could you cut a piece of a pool noodle and slide it over the rope then the noodle would just glide on the bimini??

I like that idea, might try that.