Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull comparison Echelon Lx and Sunsetter lx

Dale974

I currently have a 93 echelon lx with the open bow and I'm looking to upgrade to a 97 sunsetter lx with efi. My understanding is that these are both sv23 hulls, so with the exception of the extra foot on the sunsetter, I should have a rather comparable boarding wake and such. Am I right in my understanding here?

Yup, as long as the props are the same you should have the same experience. When I had my '04 Wakesetter (same boat as that Sunsetter LX) we had a crew member that owns an Echelon take a ski behind it & he got in afterward & said "that's my wake". He said that it was just a little bit wider, but that it was identical in quality. The other exception that he noted was that he had a wicked rooster tail behind the Echy that he'd been fighting caused by the stock CVP prop which my boat (Acme 525) didn't have. YMMV as far as the props go.

I just upgraded this spring from a 93 Echelon to a 02 SSLXI and the ski wake is night and day better on the SSLXI and the boarding wake is a bit smaller/softer. If I am not mistaken the SSLX has the wake hull and probably is a lot like the Echelon.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Shawn

Yup, as long as the props are the same you should have the same experience. When I had my '04 Wakesetter (same boat as that Sunsetter LX) we had a crew member that owns an Echelon take a ski behind it & he got in afterward & said "that's my wake". He said that it was just a little bit wider, but that it was identical in quality. The other exception that he noted was that he had a wicked rooster tail behind the Echy that he'd been fighting caused by the stock CVP prop which my boat (Acme 525) didn't have. YMMV as far as the props go.

what pich was that acme prop, still running my stock cvp prop, thinking of upgrading. but i have had some very good shortline skiers behind my boat and all seem to like the wake, just a slight bump at the 22 off..

I just upgraded this spring from a 93 Echelon to a 02 SSLXI and the ski wake is night and day better on the SSLXI and the boarding wake is a bit smaller/softer. If I am not mistaken the SSLX has the wake hull and probably is a lot like the Echelon.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Shawn

It won't help him. The LX & LXi are on 2 different hulls. Apples & oranges.

what pich was that acme prop, still running my stock cvp prop, thinking of upgrading. but i have had some very good shortline skiers behind my boat and all seem to like the wake, just a slight bump at the 22 off..

It was the Acme 525. 13x11.5 with .080 cup.

Dale you are correct they are the same hull shape so your wakes will be very similar. The SSLX is heavier, but also wider and longer to compensate for that.

007 I have the 515 13x12 and would recommend the 525 13x11 that WG mentioned. Holeshot on mine is more than adequate, but my old Merc doesn't have the top end to get the RPMs and speed that it might with a lower pitch. If you're looking for used I would add the OJ 330 to your list as well. It's more like the 515 but when you're saving money sometimes 99% is plenty good.

Ditch that CVP before it tosses a blade on you. A new CNC nibral should soften the wake a bit as well.

I wish I had that boat, it had a hammerhead IIRC.

Dale you are correct they are the same hull shape so your wakes will be very similar. The SSLX is heavier, but also wider and longer to compensate for that.

007 I have the 515 13x12 and would recommend the 525 13x11 that WG mentioned. Holeshot on mine is more than adequate, but my old Merc doesn't have the top end to get the RPMs and speed that it might with a lower pitch. If you're looking for used I would add the OJ 330 to your list as well. It's more like the 515 but when you're saving money sometimes 99% is plenty good.

Ditch that CVP before it tosses a blade on you. A new CNC nibral should soften the wake a bit as well.

Thanks for the info WakeGirl and jk, done most upgrades i want (perfectpass ) just thought a better prop might enhance the wake even more, just ski behind it, have the carb, 265 hp engine. pulls my buddy at 40mph for footing just fine, looking to soften the ski wake a bit more, thanks again

FWIW, I have a 97 SSLX that is only used for skiing. It's more than adequate and I'm running an Acme 525. It's a HUGE improvement over the stock CVP paper weight.

thats the 13x11.5 ?

The Sunsetter LX and Echelon LX run on the same "wetted surface" at speed. The Sunsetter is wider, but the sides are flared as they go up...meaning it's the same dimension as the Echelon at the bottom. It is longer, but again at speed roughly the same amount of hull is in contact with the water. Add about 500lbs to your normal crew weight and you'll see a pretty good example of the Sunsetter LX wake.

@skier007: You can improve the wake on the Echelon by making sure you minimize the weight particularly in the rear. Removing the rear seat bottom and actually removing the seat back (you can replace it with a piece of luan covered in carpet) and keeping the fuel tank level low will help the wake a lot. An Acme or OJ prop will also improve the wake and lessen your 22' off bump. The boat also likes weight taken out anywhere, so don't add a lot of stuff you don't need in the boat.

Any shortline skiers aren't going to notice a bump or rooster tail at 22' off. Those aspiring 15' offers just starting to get into 22' off will feel and notice that bump. Like woodski said, take out the back seat, especially when you have 3 people (it also saves on wear and tear on the seat bottom). Bump up to 36 mph and that rooster tail will probably go away :D.

About the props, I talked with ACME about which prop to upgrade to (Greg I think you and i have the same 350 Mercruiser). Given my stats and uses, they recommended a 515 for my case. More power out of the hole, slightly higher top end, and a bit more friendly on fuel. Found mine on CL for $225. Mine still has a rooster tail at 32, but starts to really dissipate at 34 and pretty much gone at 36. I'd say next to PP it was the next best upgrade I've done.

Hope you've been having a good summer, sorry we haven't been able to meet up again, I've been spending most of my water time at the course.