Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Time Dad

TURNITRED

Dude, it's soo easy when they are small and not mobile. I would give anything to go back to not having to watch him like a hawk.

The little guy of ours is a tech freak. Every knob, button, lever, switch..... He has to know what it does. At least 30 times. He's a pro a tunning on the ZLD, he has reached around from behind the seat and grabbed a hand full of throttle on more than one occasion. The little blue ON/OFF button has been cycled 10-15 while in motion. We drive around the lake with random horn blows frequently.

We took him out from the time he was 5-6 months old. We had a small yellow floatable(looked like a little boat) that you put their legs through. He loved that thing. We would just tie a short rope to the back of the boat and let him chill. You couldn't take him out of that thing. They will be fine of you are fine. Don't let mom go all freakazoid on ya, kids feed on that.

Everyone has laid out a good map for ya Plenty of shade, SPF 100, swim diapers( regular ones will explode when wet), plenty of wipes. At 2-3 you just need a roll of duct tape.

Honestly the crappiest thing is the infant life vests. I wish there was a better solution. They just fit so poorly and are dang uncomfortable.

Congrats and enjoy the next 18 years if at all possible!

Had our grandson out at 6 weeks. Slept most of it.

Key is keep them in a life jacket all the time - you don't know when it will be needed. And I don't think you want to strap them into a car seat - that wouldn't be good if they go in in an event.

Like others have said - you have to be ready to boat or unboat on their schedule. If they aren't happy, no one will be happy. They will be hotter than you and colder than you so really pay attention to them and their temperature.

Congrats, our first will be 4 mos on Tuesday, we only made it out on the boat once this summer, but lots of that had to due with me taking a new job just before she was born, and the fact all it did was rain in CO this summer.

Good news/bad news, the wife has said we can't get a new boat, but I can get a Sportsmobile so we are able to enjoy our current boat more. Of course the Sportsmobile will be mostly DIY but that's half the fun.

My only advice as new father myself, is enjoy it, it's quite honestly the most rewarding thing i've done in my life.

I have two, with one more on the way, due in December. I had both out at around 2-3 months, and they did all right, but it wasn't until they were closer to 9 months and they filled out the infant lifejacket that they really seemed to be comfortable and enjoy themselves.

When you go out for the first time, practice several common manuvers before pulling a rider. Things such as starting from a stop, hitting waves, decelerating, etc. because you will want to know how your kid's seating situation will react. Regardless of how experienced you are as a boater, it's compleatly different than anything you've ever done.

My daughter is 4 months right now and she's been on the boat since she was 2 weeks old. The biggest challenge for us this season has been my wife's breast feeding schedule. My wife loves spending time on the boat, but she wasn't a huge fan of having to breast feed under a cover (when out with friends/family) when it's above 80 degrees. Even if our daughter wasn't with us she would have to find a way to pump. Our daughter was the easy part. She loves the rocking motion if the boat and surfing creates the perfect engine pitch for her to go right to sleep. Our Bimini is used 100 times more now too! Next sure should be more interesting when she is more mobile...

Congrats man, that is great to hear. Life is never going to be the same, in a great way.

3 weeks. Since 3 weeks my son goes on the boat with me every time. As soon as he was around 9 months, I would take him out without my wife. He is my little boat buddy and a great boater. Knows how to turn on the batteries, blower, start it, back it off the trailer, drive it (on my lap... for now) and fill and drain the ballast.

I couldnt imagine not having him on the boat with me...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as someone who had the experience of not conceiving the moment we wanted kids, I will say that I know the feeling, and congratulations to you both.

It took my wife and I about two years for the first one, and it was a difficult time, not knowing if it would ever happen for us.

The only good thing was that for a couple years I was getting some 4-5 times a week whether I wanted it or not. One time, she called me and said it 'was time' and I told her I had a Softball game and could not come home from work first. She said it would only take a couple minutes and met me in the parking lot of the softball field, then went home while I played. Keep in mind we were not teenagers doing such shenanigans in the back of my SUV in broad daylight, so it was kind of funny, but she was on a mission.

Now that is funny right there!

Dude, it's soo easy when they are small and not mobile. I would give anything to go back to not having to watch him like a hawk.

The little guy of ours is a tech freak. Every knob, button, lever, switch..... He has to know what it does. At least 30 times. He's a pro a tunning on the ZLD, he has reached around from behind the seat and grabbed a hand full of throttle on more than one occasion. The little blue ON/OFF button has been cycled 10-15 while in motion. We drive around the lake with random horn blows frequently.

We took him out from the time he was 5-6 months old. We had a small yellow floatable(looked like a little boat) that you put their legs through. He loved that thing. We would just tie a short rope to the back of the boat and let him chill. You couldn't take him out of that thing. They will be fine of you are fine. Don't let mom go all freakazoid on ya, kids feed on that.

Everyone has laid out a good map for ya Plenty of shade, SPF 100, swim diapers( regular ones will explode when wet), plenty of wipes. At 2-3 you just need a roll of duct tape.

Honestly the crappiest thing is the infant life vests. I wish there was a better solution. They just fit so poorly and are dang uncomfortable.

Congrats and enjoy the next 18 years if at all possible!

THIS!!!! I am surprised my horn still works. I am sure the people on our lake think, there goes that idiot that drives around and blows his horn all day...mine is 3 1/2 and we have finally managed to teach him when the boat is moving his BUTT better be in a seat. One too many times of the wife pulling me and all of a sudden we stop because he has pulled the throttle back. Make sure you keep them away from the stereo remotes. I have thought my speakers were blown 100 times now by a little finger on the volume up knob.

CONGRATS by the way.

• 5 weeks later...

My son was born in Feb, so he was on the water in one of the boats with us at around 4 months. Loved the water instantly. He is 5 now and boards and surfs.

My daughter was born in Oct, so at 7months she was on the boats.

They both fall asleep often on the boats.

My wife made sure that the carseat that we had floats, just in case. If they are out of the carseat, its life jacket time.

My son at 5, can swim better than a lot of our friends.

Koda, my daughter will almost always fall asleep in her floaty ring (that has a shade cover built in) within 10 min of being in the water.

EDIT: CONGRATULATIONS!

Edited by Live2Ride

Congrats!

You will enjoy this more than you can imagine..... I have been amazed many times by the joy having them has brought.....

P.S. You will be surprised how much lake water a diaper can hold....

I am so thankful you started this thread. We are expecting our first in April and I was wondering the same thing.

congratulations to you. My wife is due in april as well.

We have 3 boys. 4, 18 months, and 2 months. We had the youngest out at 6 weeks. You will figure out what works best for you guys. Even if you only make it out in short spurts. Our oldest likes to swim. So he often swims while the next person is getting ready. Keep it fun for everyone. It really is very family friendly.

You guys are lucky, my kids NEVER slept on the boat. Well almost never. The boys went down once at the same time that I can remember, a big smile and thumbs up from the wife…and then she dozed off. So I spent an hour idling around drinking beer.

Great advice so far - it's all about heat and sun management. With the inboards' swim step it makes it really nice to introduce newborns to the water. Ours were on the boat pretty much ASAP. We have 2 winter birth dates and one June 29th. I think that kid was on the boat the day that mom got home from the hospital.