Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

When do/did you start your kids on........

NCVride

So, I have seen this discussed in a few topics but thought I would start it's own topic.

When do/did you guys start your kids on the following:

Tube(yes I said it) - started mine at less than a year old.

Kneeboard - 3 1/2 this year and is riding it laying down by himself

Wakeboard - 2 1/2 riding with me, plan to make the big push next year as he will be 4

Waterskis - Plan to make the push next year 4

Snowskis - Took him out on the slopes with me last year when he was barely 3 and will put him in lessons this year at 4.

I am just curious to see when you guys are starting your kids. I know every kid is different, but I was just curious.

Hey, if you want, use this topic to brag about your kids too!! I know everyone loves to do it.

Every kids develops a little different. Our daughter is a little slower. She turns 3 in November. We put her on the tube with her cousins this past summer (@ 2.5). Otherwise, I could see us starting snow skiing next winter (not this winter) with her at 4. I don't think she will be ready for waterskis next summer at 3.5. Not sure about the rest... Have to wait and see. Can't wait to see her wakeboarding/surfing though--those will be great moments!!!

Snowskiing- 2yrs old

Flatwater kayak-4yrs old

Snowboarding- 5 yrs old

Kneeboarding-7 yrs old

Wakeboarding -11 yrs old

Whitewater kayak- 11yrs old.

Wakesurfing- 12yrs old

Wish I could've started that early.

That's good advice. My son kept asking to wakeboard, but I didn't think he was ready to deal with the falls and frustration of learning to get up. But, He got up his 1st time and hasn't had a problem since. He really wanted it, and wanted to prove to us he was ready.

Everyone wants their kids to do things earlier than the next guys kids but a scary crash in an all ready nervous attempt at trying a water sport will lead to withdrawal and a major setback. It happened with my first but won't with my youngest 2, they'll let me know when they're ready to try and keep up with big brother.

• Like 2

Tube = 15 months

Kneeboard = 3

Wakeboard = 5

Snow Skis = 5

Snow Board = 7

Water Skis = 8

Slalom ski = ?

He asked to do for each to keep up with friend's children we were boating with - 'No tubing before lunch!' rule helps them learn & gives plenty of time to try new things.

Tube(yes I said it) - my girls were 2 and 4 years old, big mable and the poparazzi don't get much rest

Kneeboard - same thing as tube, they loved the kneeboard immediately, we now have 2 boards so they double quite often

Wakesurf - started them last year, ages 8 & 10, my 9 yr old threw the rope in this year

Wakeboard - just started this year, both popped up right away since they wakesurf, they love it and we tow at ~14-15mph. they use my 139 w/ XL boots so they don't feel so "trapped" and the bigger board is easier for them

Waterskis - they have no interest

Snowskis - we don't do cold weather sports, so they've never had the chance

Wiping down the boat - at least 1 of them help me clean up after a day on the water, it's great daddy-time and they fight over who gets to do it

We, too, agree with not pushing, they watch us and our friends and we just let their curiosity get the best of them. When swimming at the dock, we throw in boards instead of rafts so they get used to the feel and buoyancy, and understand how to avoid the sharp edges. It's worked well as they aren't near as afraid. Watersports are such a huge confidence boost for kids--we love watching them accomplish things.

Tube = 15 months

Kneeboard = 3

Wakeboard = 5

Snow Skis = 5

Snow Board = 7

Water Skis = 8

Slalom ski = ?

He asked to do for each to keep up with friend's children we were boating with - 'No tubing before lunch!' rule helps them learn & gives plenty of time to try new things.

Great rule....we use something similar already with our little one. He knows that before the tube comes off the dock that he has to try the kneeboard for a few minutes first. Usually we go a good distance from the dock for him to start on the kneeboard. This way we get to use the, "go all the way to the dock and we can tube" song and dance.

I agree with you guys on not pushing, but he has constantly asked this summer if he could wakeboard with me. I drop everything anytime he asks and we jump right on it. I will probably go with the easytrainer ski first next summer then try to progress to the wakeboard later in the year.

Some of my thought process with the kneeboard is that he now knows what happens when you roll off of it into the water and he knows the feeling of the boat speeding away from him floating in the water all alone. We usually pull him around 12mph on the kneeboard.

18 yr son:

tube =4

waterski =5

barefoot=10

jumping=13

alpine=10

snowboard=11

15yr daughter

waterski=6

barefoot = 8

alpine=9

snowboard=10

11 yr daughter

waterski = 4

barefoot= 6

alpine= 4

snowboard=5

Snow season starts in a month or two.

So, I have seen this discussed in a few topics but thought I would start it's own topic.

When do/did you guys start your kids on the following:

Tube(yes I said it) - my real answer is Never but at a slow speed with an adult I had mine on a tube at 1 1/2

Kneeboard - 5

Wakeboard - 12

Waterskis - 8 they hated it so not again until 15

Snowskis - yep, 15 months old. one of them has been an instructor since 16

surf- 16

driving the boat with no one else but the person being towed - 15

my kids do not tube :)

4 year old has been riding training skiis for last year, and rides on my wakeboard between my legs. I have a board for him to start riding next summer when he's 5.

my 2 year old daugher has also ridden the easy ski and rode between my legs wakeboarding. She's definitely going to be ripper.

Boy

wakeboard with me = 9 months (me holding him)

ski board from beach, pulled by hand onto swim step = 2 1/2

ski board behind boat = 3

wakeboard behind boat = 4

Girl

wakeboard with me = 8 months

ski board from beach, pulled by hand onto swimstep = 18 months

ski board behind boat = 20 months