Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Impressions of 2014 MXZs surf wave vs. LSV / VLX

pkh

I'm going to go out on a limb & say that it likely won't be until next spring, early summer before we hear any definitive reports. The first '14 boats probably didn't get delivered until sometime very recently. For example, when I ordered my '06 VLX, it was one of the very first '06 boats built in the Merced factory, & I didn't take delivery of it until the end of September. Changeover happens in July & they really don't get going on the next year until August (usually). So with that, the end of summer/bad weather, the break-in period that most people honor, & few people willing to ride into late October, I'd say that you're going to have to wait. Of course ICBW as always.

With that said, someone will post that they've taken delivery, broken in their '14 MXZ & got 25 hours on it already. :biggrin:

We took delivery of our '14 the 14th of August. So far we have 60 hours on it. Unfortunately I cannot speak of the differences between models surf wave. This being said, I am happy with the stock wave enough to have held out for the season on dropping in PNP bags.

I'm going to go out on a limb & say that it likely won't be until next spring, early summer before we hear any definitive reports. The first '14 boats probably didn't get delivered until sometime very recently. For example, when I ordered my '06 VLX, it was one of the very first '06 boats built in the Merced factory, & I didn't take delivery of it until the end of September. Changeover happens in July & they really don't get going on the next year until August (usually). So with that, the end of summer/bad weather, the break-in period that most people honor, & few people willing to ride into late October, I'd say that you're going to have to wait. Of course ICBW as always.

With that said, someone will post that they've taken delivery, broken in their '14 MXZ & got 25 hours on it already. :biggrin:

We took delivery of our '14 the 14th of August. So far we have 60 hours on it. Unfortunately I cannot speak of the differences between models surf wave. This being said, I am happy with the stock wave enough to have held out for the season on dropping in PNP bags.

There you have it wakegirl

Are the '14s being shipped with a modified gate? They were in production when I was at the factory in August, but I did not ask or see of any changes. The first I heard of a "fix" was after the dealer meetings and was told it was being run successfully on Soven's MXZ.

On the MXZ hulls the surfgate hinge edge has a angle to the top few inches to match the hull angle when closed. When the gate opens this angled section catches a little water and creates the spray. There is a tab to be installed to close this gap in the open position, and therefore eliminate the spray.

Peter

On the 13's my dealer had in the surf gate was not changed yet and my friend who works there has not heard of the change. That said he is the pro shop manager so I'm not surprised he didn't know and all of the sales reps were out at the fall boat show so I couldn't ask them.

Edit: I said '13's and I meant '14's.... Also I realize that this post is little to no help to anyone :)

Edited by ahopkins1988