Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to open electric engine hatch without battery?

petrie141

(boat info 99 vlx sunsetter)

Our battery is located underneath the engine hatch cover on the port side. I have a fear that one day the battery will fail not letting me open the engine hatch cover. Does anyone know if there's a way to open an electric hatch without the battery? I do see that there are hinges on the back side of the hatch with quick release pins, but I'm not sure if taking those out would help or not. And before someone says it, yes, we will eventually relocate the battery. Probably the next time its in the shop, I'll just have them do that as well. Thanks for any help in advance!

The hatch when the electric actuator is not hooked up isn't bad at all to lift.. Mine was disconnected when I bought my boat. I was on the highway when it caught air and flew back very close to ripping all hinges out and going into traffic... Got home and hooked up the actuator! I do think that if the battery galled my first attempted would be to remove the pins from the hinges on the back of the boat and lift enough to get the pin out of the actuator or a jump cable onto the battery..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

you take off the back of it by the transom there's 2 hooks..it pivots on the actuator enough that it's easy enough to get into it and access the back. I relocated my battery though for the 750s to fit better in the locker anyway so now I don't have to worry about that.

Not sure if all '99 VLX models have this, but I have an aux. + (positive) battery terminal mounted under the back seat next to the V-drive. It is there primarily for jumper cables, but I use it every winter when I remove the battery to close the hatch after I stash things back there....ropes, vests, tools, etc. If anything it just makes it a little harder for a thief.

My 99 has the pos terminal umder the back seat. Where would you put the neg? Just ground to the block?

I use a bolt on top of the transmission that is easy to get to.

My 99 has the pos terminal umder the back seat. Where would you put the neg? Just ground to the block?

That's what the block's there for! :D anywhere that's got an easy clamp point such as nut heads as posted