Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New trailer, ahh kinda.

mainekneeboarder

We have been traveling to other lakes often the last few years. Our last kid just went into college this year and they dont come to camp with us nearly as often anymore, so we started traveling to other lakes. We had been tenting and were looking into other options, our long term goal is to travel a few weeks in the winter to different lakes in the warmer areas. We didn't want to have to bring two vehicles, one towing a camper and the other towing the boat, and we didn't really like the idea of a motor home because we like to get out and around once we get someplace and see the area. My parents had an old 29ft fifth wheel camper that had some rot in the back part of it and my farther was going to tear it down to the frame and make a car trailer out of it. We got to talking and came up with a better idea???? :crazy: I started it last summer and we used it late last fall. We have been working on a couple small issues we had with it this year and have used it 4-5 times now. It has really worked out well, we have had it at our local pond boat ramp a ton of times switching the boat onto an off it checking measurements and stuff, it is very easy there. We have had it down two other boat ramps that are one lane ramps and I was actually surprised at how easy it has been to get backed down them. The camper part is a little small, but we have a queen size bed, shower, toilet, sink/mirror in the bathroom, and a small room with a refrigerator, small sink/counter, bench and some storage space, much better then a tent! overall it has worked out excellent and just thought I would share. I have seen a few others talk about the hassle of bringing two vehicles camping.

We cut off the old frame rite at the back of the camper and added 6x2x1/4 and lengthened it to 39 ft total, and built a bridge 2x2x1/4 frame from the axle forward 2inchs under the original frame. built another frame 6inchs inside the original frame out of 6x2 back to the axles, then stepped down to 5x2, then to 4x2 for the last 5 feet. This was to try and keep the boat as low as possible on the trailer. Swapped out the axles to heavier 7000lb axles because I had the big bearing brakes and drums already, 2000lb each springs, (which I need to change to slightly bigger) LED lights, Electric winch. Has gas/electric refrigerator, gas/electric hot water heater, A/C works very well, I have the gas heater still that we need to put in. The whole rig ready to go weighs 18,000-18500lbs depending on gas/water, the truck empty weighs 6100lb, pin weight is about 3000lb. I contemplated going with three axles but wanted the mobility of two, I have been fighting some flex thou that I think I have finally beaten, that the third axle would have helped with.

Here are a couple pics.

post-5050-0-70678300-1379519913_thumb.jp

post-5050-0-93803300-1379519928_thumb.jp

post-5050-0-43786700-1379899754_thumb.jp

Edited by mainekneeboarder
  • Like 3

You need to build a fold down deck on the back of the camper so when the boat is in the water you fold it down and use that part of the trailer as a nice deck.

That is some unique thinking, nice job!! :thumbup:

• Like 3

Pretty cool mod. I might be worried about the RV getting in the water when launching and loading.

This was a big concern, the reason for the stepped down inner frame rail where the boat bunks attach to keep the boat as low as possible, so far the water level is usually about 6inches below the back of the camper.

You need to build a fold down deck on the back of the camper so when the boat is in the water you fold it down and use that part of the trailer as a nice deck.

That is some unique thinking, nice job!! :thumbup:

We almost moved the door to the back just for that reason.

Nicely done! No diesel bumper holes in the truck, 454?

I am also in a similar situation once the kids are gone in a few years. Of course as quickly as some of my other projects have been moving I'd better get started right away. And yeah, we need more pics of the back and the inside.

Nicely done! No diesel bumper holes in the truck, 454?

I am also in a similar situation once the kids are gone in a few years. Of course as quickly as some of my other projects have been moving I'd better get started right away. And yeah, we need more pics of the back and the inside.

Yes 454, that's an ongoing project I'll wait to talk about if its ever close to being done with all the bugs worked out, I'm literally in the garage tonite working on it rite now.

I have a few build pictures but kinda forgot to get them all the ways thru it, its still "a work in progress" but what project is ever done. I'll get some inside and boat end of the trailer pics tomorrow and post them. I've been trying to get good pictures of the rig all summer but always forget to, the pics here were this weekend on our way back, after traveling 3 hours down in the rain. I figured this may be the last time we use it this summer and took a couple. I had everything clean and waxed labor day weekend and wanted to get pictures, but took so long cleaning everything we were racing around trying to beat the dark headed down and didn't get a chance to get any.

Sorry guys for the delay, I took these Thursday and haven't had time to upload them. Added one to the first post also. Everything was still dirty from towing in the rain, don't give me too much grief.

post-5050-0-14886800-1379899854_thumb.jp

post-5050-0-93912700-1379899865_thumb.jp

post-5050-0-70752600-1379899878_thumb.jp

• Like 1

As I said before its still a project, the sink area was a closet, we are going to cut the doors down and put them back there under the sink, you can see the molding is on one side. We redid the whole ceiling and back wall, remounted the A/C unit, added the sink and counter in the kitchen area. the rest of the camper we just replaced the carpet. I had the GoPro on wide angle trying to get a wider view, that's why its so curved, I'm not a carpenter, but I did get stuff a little straighter then what the pictures show!

post-5050-0-57131600-1379900271_thumb.jp

post-5050-0-89567700-1379900498_thumb.jp

post-5050-0-43682500-1379900596_thumb.jp

post-5050-0-60673700-1379900650_thumb.jp

Edited by mainekneeboarder
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Nice setup!

Only issue I can see is when your putting the boat on the trailer with the trailer in the water, you might have some communication issues with the truck driver since your 20' further in the water & have a camper between you. I'm sure it's something you can work around though.

Great use of an old camper that was going to be junked otherwise!

Anyone on here running a truck bed camper? I've often thought that would skin this cat fairly easily.

Most overhang the bumper so there was a discussion about hitch extenders a couple weeks ago here:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47629-truck-camper-and-boat-towing/?hl=%2Bhitch+%2Bextender#entry680395

Slightly different usability between the two setups, but both are good solutions in their own way.

Anyone on here running a truck bed camper? I've often thought that would skin this cat fairly easily.

Been there done that. Also have done the RV, & greatly, massively prefer the RV for so many reasons. But each has its benefits & downside.

With regard to the overhang issue, it's totally doable (as long as you don't get too extreme). You just have to do your math & make sure that the truck & trailer are set up correctly to begin with.

My girlfriend wanted to go that route when we were talking about it. I just didn't like the idea, and kept making excuses every time we looked at them. I'm sure it would work and would have saved me some time. She loves the trailer now, she couldn't visualize it in her head when we started, but once it started to come together she was really helping get it done.

My girlfriend wanted to go that route when we were talking about it. I just didn't like the idea, and kept making excuses every time we looked at them. I'm sure it would work and would have saved me some time. She loves the trailer now, she couldn't visualize it in her head when we started, but once it started to come together she was really helping get it done.

Pretty cool setup and you never have to worry about rocks getting thrown up and hitting your boat windshield!

This is the first time we launched it someplace other then our small pond the camp is on. We were in too deep, the boat is floating completely off the trailer. Everyplace we use this around here is a very relaxed atmosphere boat ramp. I can get out and help my girlfriend on or off the trailer if needed. I cant imagine going to some of the ramps I have seen people post on here with this thing.

post-5050-0-36666300-1392842376_thumb.jp

You cant believe the amount of people we see taking pictures and pointing.

Oh yea, I believe it. I was one of the first guys with a tower on the boat & it was the same way. "Why the heck do you have a rollbar on your boat?" :Doh:

Now days a hopped up golf cart is the same way every time I go to the gas station.