Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

no spark

Well its time to pull the bu out for the summer and I cant get it to crank. I dont have spark at the spark plugs does anyone have any suggestions other than take it to a shop because im a college student and low on money. I do have the indmar manual but was jus wantin some suggestions to what i need to check first.

Take off the distributor cap & see if its had moisture inside. Check the points "contacts" to ensure that they aren't burnt or have debris between them. After reassembly, if it still won;t start, pull the coil wire off of the center of the dist cap & ground it & see if there is spark there. If there is you may have a problem with the rotor, as sometimes a little hole will burn in the bottom of it, gounding out the spark. After that, check for 12 volts at the + side of the coil while cranking. If there is voltage there, the points look good & are opening & closing while the engine is being cranked & there is still no spark I would condemn the coil.

Hope this helps.

Where are you located? By the coast?

My old school mechanic told me to put a piece of paper in-between the points over the off season to keep them from corroding.

Spend $85 on the breaker-point to electronic conversion from Pertronix. I got mine from a high performance auto shop, they had to order it. I think my motor ran stronger and I don't have to worry about points.

sorry guys I should have been a little more specific. The engine is cranking over just fine but its just not producing spark. Im going to go ahead and order a tune up kit from skidim and a coil ignition im sure it could use it.

Have you looked at your kill switch and cord to make sure it is working ok? At this point there are a lot of things it could be. How did it run the last time you took her out?

It ran great last summer. It actually is a older model so it doesnt have a lanyard switch unless it did have someone and they bypassed it for some stupid reason lol. Ill let you guys know what i figure out