Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rewire Malibu In Dash Graphic Display to switch power

crstein70

Excuse me if this has been posted elsewhere, searched, but could not find.

I have a Malibu 2005 VRide with the center in dash graphic display with the cruise control. It works great, the only annoyance is that it restarts every time I turn off the engine and back on. So then i have to wait till after I restart the engine, just to turn the cruise control feature back on before I put it in gear to pull someone new up.

I have a spare rocker switch on my panel that I would love to wire the display power directly to that switch, so at the beginning of the day I turn the switch on and at the end of the day turn it off. Never have to re-engage the system on with every restart of the engine.

there are 5 leads going out of the back of the display

Orange

Red /White

Grey

Blue

Green

Most of these combine with other like colors cables in the wiring harness. i.e. 5 blues combine together.

So the question is, is there a simple Positive power lead the is connected to the ignition that I could rewire to the switch?

Any help would be appreciated.

I think you find challenges in doing things this way. The MMDC module needs communication from the ECM, or it will display faults in the screen if you power it up without the ECM being alive also.

The cruise operation they way you state it working is normal operation for those type of systems.

Edited by Bobby Bright

Sounds like my radio problem. Voltage drop when the starter turns over made my radio reset, even though it had a constant power lead.

Are you sure it's a normal screen behavior? Maybe what you are seeing is not normal?

TMC should he run a power wire from the battery to the screen? Could it hurt anything trying it?

Excuse me if this has been posted elsewhere, searched, but could not find.

I have a Malibu 2005 VRide with the center in dash graphic display with the cruise control. It works great, the only annoyance is that it restarts every time I turn off the engine and back on. So then i have to wait till after I restart the engine, just to turn the cruise control feature back on before I put it in gear to pull someone new up.

So the question is, is there a simple Positive power lead the is connected to the ignition that I could rewire to the switch?

Any help would be appreciated.

Crstein,

I was just slapped up side the head by a very knowledgable fella, who said that this indeed was a feature that Malibu added. The question is just "what year" was it added. The feature is that in the "favorites" part of the Malibu Message Center you can select the display to show your preference on start up. Depending on the year "Cruise On" and "Cruise Off" where added as options.

Now, what I am struggling with is that I was pretty sure that 2006 was the first year of Malibu Cruise Control. You state that your boat is a 2005, but has the Malibu Cruise Control? So maybe I'm really screwed up today, or you've got a late build 05?

Sorry I mis-spoke earlier by saying it was not possible!

Peter

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

My buddies 05 vlx has PerfectPass, my 06 vRide had Malibu cruise.

2006 was the first year. 2007 got the ability to have Cruise on or Cruise off on key up.

Pb

That would have saved my wife some grief from me a few times.....is this pretty easy to figure out.

• 6 months later...

Does the MMDC module control the graphical in dash display. My display on my 2007 Malibu Ride went Blank. I disconnected and reconnected the battery/display screen plug and MMDC connector? Still blank. I can see some display if I shine a flashlight on the screen. Malibu thinks it might be a bad MMDC. What does the Crew think

Sarge

• 2 weeks later...

SmoothWaterMan

Sorry, I have been head down in other simple modifications over the winter, added the 4" seat lifter for the drivers seat, built / installed new speaker boxes in the bow and replaced all the other interior cabin speakers. I will do a little more investigation on the year of the boat and get back to you.

Ok, good news. It is actually a 2007, got the year mistaken. So, how do I get a hold of this "very knowledgable fella?"

Edited by crstein70

Does the MMDC module control the graphical in dash display. My display on my 2007 Malibu Ride went Blank. I disconnected and reconnected the battery/display screen plug and MMDC connector? Still blank. I can see some display if I shine a flashlight on the screen. Malibu thinks it might be a bad MMDC. What does the Crew think

Sarge

your post is kind of a hijack, but if either of you end up needing a new MMDC, i have a complete dash from my '08vlx that was taken out when i had malivue installed.

I looked at boats for sale and that '07 dash looks the same as the '08 dash.

Disclaimer: I'm not the knowledgeable fella alluded to earlier. Below comments are for a mid to late model 2007 Wakesetter LSV.

The cruise was a bit funky and took us a few rides to get it figured out. Typically you have to navigate to the Cruise screen, set the speed, and remember to turn it on before getting underway. This is counter intuitive to a car in which you get underway and once you reach your desired speed you set the cruise.

My wife would continually forget to engage the cruise before getting underway....hence a bit of frustration.

As a side note, you can engage cruise while moving but to do so you would increase your cruise setting to 6mph above your current speed, turn cruise on (red button), and then decrease your cruise setting to your desired speed. I really dislike this because it means I'm playing around with the screen and not keeping my eyes where they should be....on the lake. Furthermore, I'm using my right hand to change those settings and I always like to have that hand on the throttle while underway.

There is a better way.

Using the up/down arrows, navigate to SETUP and press E(enter).

Menu with 4 items comes up.

Using up/down keys move to the 3rd item from the top and press E(enter).

Using up/down keys select one of the following choices using E(enter) to lock in your choice:

Favorite

Clock

Tach/Speed

Engine

Cruise ON

Cruise OFF

Depending on your selection, the appropriate menu item appears when the boat key is turned on. In this case when we are pulling a rider, I select Cruise ON. Viola, you don't have to touch the keys again to have cruise control. I'll set my pull speed before the wife takes the helm :biggrin:

Edited by gmab
  • 2 weeks later...

Malibu Response 2007. My center digital dash has never worked properly. It is blank. I have a Malibu 2007. I am thinking of getting it fixed, but from these posts it doesn't sound like it's worth the effort. Alternative would be to purchase a good GPS speedometer. Any thoughts on that? I replaced the motherboard once and it only lasted a month and the depth warning kept going off during that month and wouldn't reset.

Thanks for any help.

• 3 months later...