Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hammerhead from 2006 rev limiter set point

black06VLX

Does anyone know what the rev limiter is set at on the 383ci Hammerhead motors? I am looking at swapping props and going more aggressive and the engineer inside me isn't willing to pick a prop yet until I know all the info.

I see in the manual it was rpm range is 4600-5200rpm. With full factory ballast, full gas and 6 people on board we were able to hit 4600-4800rpm at WOT and this will climb to 5000-5150rpm if you keep it pinned for a bit. This is at 3200ft elevation. This is with an ACME 1273 prop.

Curious if I have room to go up to a 15" prop(debating on the 2313, 2315 or 2249) We hit a concrete block on the weekend with my folks G23 and 2247 prop so I was unable to test that prop vs the 1273 for a data point on the VLX with hammerhead motor. My head is saying if I go with a 2249 I will drop rpm and gain push power with the diameter just not sure if I will accelerate faster or slower.

If you have hit the rev limiter with a 383ci hammerhead please share in here where it was. Guy at ACME told me the rpm range for the hammerhead was 5200-5600rpm, but I think that is off based on the manual and I see zero info about rpm range on a nameplate on the motor.

Supposed to be 5250 mine is at 5350, they do vary a bit motor to motor. Same with the monsoons, I know people with 5400 rpm rev limiter on the monsoon.

:plus1: I saw 5350 last weekend and was surprised I wasn't bouncing off the limiter. FWIW 1235 prop.

:plus1: I saw 5350 last weekend and was surprised I wasn't bouncing off the limiter. FWIW 1235 prop.

Weird I bounce off rev limiter with the 537, with the 1235 I just put on a week ago I hit rev limiter in 300 feet from holeshot. My HH is strong like bull though lol.

Edited by Bobby Light

Weird I bounce off rev limiter with the 537, with the 1235 I just put on a week ago I hit rev limiter in 300 feet from holeshot. My HH is strong like bull though lol.

This is what I am worried about with the 15"x12" props(2315 and 2313). My boat is smaller and lighter than both of yours. Last year ACME recommended the 1273 over the 1235 for me since they were worried about the lower cup on the 1235 allowing the prop to cavitate a bit. Sounds like that isn't the case for you two, you just get really good push power.

What do you get for a WOT rpm when loaded with factory ballast and fuel?

This is what I am worried about with the 15"x12" props(2315 and 2313). My boat is smaller and lighter than both of yours. Last year ACME recommended the 1273 over the 1235 for me since they were worried about the lower cup on the 1235 allowing the prop to cavitate a bit. Sounds like that isn't the case for you two, you just get really good push power.

What do you get for a WOT rpm when loaded with factory ballast and fuel?

Running 3800 lbs surf ballast without wedge and 3/4+ tank fuel with 4 people I can hit rev limiter with mine. Edited by Bobby Light

Wow so it sounds like that drop in cup helps. Or you have a mean 383!

It's a lot of both I think. I lost 2-3 mph top end with the 1235 but unloaded with no weight in boat and 3 people I hit top speed of 40 mph in 10 seconds the other day.

I hit the rev limiter on my 06 at 5200 RPM. I have the 1235 on my 247.

The first question I have is, who cares? The only reason I know where the rev limiter is was because I was pulling a guy barefooting. Top speed of 40 MPH was not quite enough for him, so I found the rev limiter. Otherwise, I have never been in that much of a hurry. If you hit your rev limiter, then just don't go there anymore.

On the Nautique, don't their props spin the reverse of ours? If you put a Nautique prop on there, then be prepared to have your gears backwards. Or did they revert back to the same way as everyone else?