Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trans oil overflow vent?

smooth as glass

Hey guys, just curious if anyone has experienced and over filled trans, and gotten a spray out of the overflow vent (didnt know it was even there.) Got a tune up and trans oil change, apparently too much fluid was replaced, and after a bit of wot she sprayed some fluid into bilge....... nice mess and smells great. Probably only a few tablespoons, hard to tell so will suck some out. and ck level better. mike

Hey guys, just curious if anyone has experienced and over filled trans, and gotten a spray out of the overflow vent (didnt know it was even there.) Got a tune up and trans oil change, apparently too much fluid was replaced, and after a bit of wot she sprayed some fluid into bilge....... nice mess and smells great. Probably only a few tablespoons, hard to tell so will suck some out. and ck level better. mike

Good idea to double check the level. When the tranny oil get hot it expands a bit and will blow the excess out of the vent. Just makes a mess in the bilge.

Was the service done at a shop or a DIY job? Can't add much more than what others have stated. Sorry.

hold on maybe. From what I remember (disclaimer. I have sleeped and had a beer) you need to warm up the trans by driving it around and then shutting the boat off for 2 min. Then you check the level.

You measure exactly how much came out and put in exactly a bit less than that and warm up the trans by driving it around and then shutting the boat off for 2 min. Then you check the level.

Hows that sound Pete

I always keep it in the middle, not towards the top like most people would want to see.

I don't think the fluid expands all that much because the tranny isn't getting all that hot. Here's why...

1) The trans. fluid gets well cooled by the cold lake water. The cooling water has only been through the V-drive before it gets to the trans. cooler. (If you even have a V-drive)

2) These trannys aren't slipping, there's no clutchces, and there's no torque converter which is your biggest producer of heat. These things are just direct engage and gear reducing. Not much heat production going on.

3) I just changed my tanny and V-drive fluid Monday, I read the book first. (shocker, I know) There's a small bit of info. missing in the Clymer manual that the actual ZF owner's manual has. This info. is wheter or not to thread the dipstick in when checking the fluid. One book is correct, one is wrong. But, anyway, here's exactly what the Clymer books says to do when checking the fluid level:

1) Clean debris from around the dipstick area.

2) Twist dipstick to loosen slightly.

3) Run engine for approx. 10 mins. to allow engine to warm up. (does not say to drive it on the water) Then, shift trans. from neutral to forward to reverse to purge air.

4) Put in neutral and stop engine.

5) Check level, must be on full mark.

This info. is wheter or not to thread the dipstick in when checking the fluid. One book is correct, one is wrong.

Which is correct/wrong?

I seem to remember reading that you should check the fluid when the boat is up to temp and floating level. Shut off engine, check immediately: unscrew dipstick, wipe off, put back in without threading it, and check fluid level.

Doesn't this have something to do with the fluid not returning to the resevoir from the cooling lines?

My 06 ZF has been overfilled by the factory and dealership, both times oil exhausted out of the vents and fouled the bilge. The levels should be set at middle to lower end in order to prevent overflow. I check this every time now when picking up my boat. There is a tendency to want to top off the reservoir. Hope this helps.