Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rotate Batteries?

I got three new batteries at the end of last year. One for the house and two in parallel for the stereo bank. I was thinking about starting a yearly cycle of the batteries. One battery would go two years in the stereo bank and one as the house. My thinking is that it will keep them all equal over time and I may be able to get a little more life out of them. Does this make sense? Anyone else doing this?

I do have an onboard charger. I have not heard of anyone doing this and just wanted to make sure it made sense

It's a good idea because a battery has a lifespan, by rotating them in duty you'll ensure that they age at a similar rate given they are all charged properly, topped off with distiller water, and not discharged to deeply.

No. Once the 2 wired in parallel for the stereo have been used in that capacity for a year, then they will have spent considerable time being cycled and used completely different then your "house" (starting battery?) battery. Once you rotate one of those out and rotate what was your starting battery, it will equalize with the existing stereo battery. Since these two batteries have seen an entire season of different use, they will not discharge and recharge at the same rate or recharge to the same level.

Your situation is very different then having 2 batteries on a traditional dual-battery switch, where you can rotate their use simply by the position of the switch. Without knowing any more about your system, I would suggest 2 deep-cycles for the stereo and a cranking for the "house" battery and leave them as is to do their intended tasks.

I got three new batteries at the end of last year. One for the house and two in parallel for the stereo bank. I was thinking about starting a yearly cycle of the batteries. One battery would go two years in the stereo bank and one as the house. My thinking is that it will keep them all equal over time and I may be able to get a little more life out of them. Does this make sense? Anyone else doing this?

First question should be are they all the same batteries..same CCA, lead acid vs dry cell, etc.

Not all batteries function in the same manner, ie how they discharge and they recharge.

it is never that simple.

No. Once the 2 wired in parallel for the stereo have been used in that capacity for a year, then they will have spent considerable time being cycled and used completely different then your "house" (starting battery?) battery. Once you rotate one of those out and rotate what was your starting battery, it will equalize with the existing stereo battery. Since these two batteries have seen an entire season of different use, they will not discharge and recharge at the same rate or recharge to the same level.

Your situation is very different then having 2 batteries on a traditional dual-battery switch, where you can rotate their use simply by the position of the switch. Without knowing any more about your system, I would suggest 2 deep-cycles for the stereo and a cranking for the "house" battery and leave them as is to do their intended tasks.

Hey simo he's right, I missed the fact you're talking 3 batts here. You can do what I described with 2 similar batts but multiple batts you become stuck with the service they are designated for originally.