Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fair Price 1990 Sunsetter

seldomright

What would be a fair price for a 1990 Sunsetter in good shape but in need of stringer repairs? What would it cost to have a reputable repair company replace the stringers? The floor would have to be replaced at the same time, I would assume.

Thanks.

Need more info... I'd say 3G's with what you have stated. Boat is probably worth 7-9K without needing any significant repairs.

Does it have a tower, Perfect pass, stereo. How many hours, how does the hull look. How is the interior? Engine? Other mods? Trailer? cover?

It has a trailer in fair condition, cover, no tower,cheap stereo, the hull is good, slight hazing in the fiberglass but overall pretty good, original interior has some small blemishes but I would probably redo it in a couple of years. The 5.7 carborated engine has been modified with electronic ignition and the boat has about 850 hours on it.

Thanks. It is my boat and I am trying to decide to either have it fixed before I sell it, or sell it as is and let the new owner fix it. I will do a full disclosure to anyone looking at the boat because I wouldnt want anyone hiding something like that from me if I were buying. I just want to know what a fair price is in need of stringer repair. I am not skilled enough or have the equipment to tackle the job myself, so I would need to pay someone to do it. I have no idea what someone would charge for the job. I contacted one person who does fiberglass repair and he told me that I would be looking at a $10,000 repair bill if he did it. That sounded a little steep to me! I figured I could get some information from the folks on the 'Bu Crew with experience in this.

I contacted a local place around here that does extensive boat repair and rebuilding when I was considering buying a sunsetter in similar conditions to what yours sounds like. I was quoted a starting price of $4-5K and told it could increase slightly once they saw the boat. I believe that price included carpet as well.

Just a thought, but it seems that a threat pops up here fairly often that someone is looking for a project boat. It might be worth listing it for the 2-3K that people are suggesting to see if you can get any offers.

My $.02 is that if you pay someone to do the repairs, best case senerio is that you'll get the money you put into it plus another $1000, so you'd probably be better off financily selling it as a project boat.