Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New boat coming from X2

Shavo9

Okay I have had much debate over the next boat I buy, i just sold a 2007 X2, we were very happy with everything to do with the boat, felt like the boat handled rough water very well, wake was very clean and mellow for beginners/females etc, load it up and the wake was good (nothing amazing) but was good, we have decided to upgrade for a little bit of extra size and much newer. My issue is it is hard to find time and dealers to organise enough demos because I am from Australia and many boats you have to make to order, there are very limited boats in stock around.

We are looking for a boat that has a few main things,

Want it to be decent in handling rough water (We felt like the X2 was fantastic so doesn't need to be that good but still reasonable

Will be out in saltwater (2-3 days a year)

Wake must be adjustable to be good for my wife who is just jumping the wake now, so want it to be clean at low speeds and have the potential to be mellow, but also a wake that can be loaded up to be massive

Good wakesurf wave

Slalom is not even a factor we want a pure wake boat

Originally we were thinking of upgrading to a mastercraft X25 but have heard the wake is very steep and washy for beginners which is not appealing to us, but everything else about the boat is great, we thought about Nautique G23 but just the pure size and price tag is really pushing it and just cannot really justify the money on a boat, which has led me to consider the Axis A22 (very different i know), Malibu MXZ and 23LSV

My questions are how is the wake, mellow, steep different between models, how do these boats compare to an X2 etc, i know the post is very long but i would GREATLY appreciate any insight

And lastly I'm leaning towards the 2014 A22 due to the apparent great and versatile wake, surfgate etc, and may as well save on the price tag, just worried it wont handle rough water very well. Thanks heaps guys!

I own none of those of boats mentioned, but my impression is that if rough water handling a major concern for you that would rule out the A22 as I would think the MXZ and definitely the LSV would do much better. I've also heard that A22 wake is very wide something that may or may not be an issue for your wife. I'm sure others will chime in with more wake detail about the boat.

How much of a concern is the rough water ride?? If its a huge deal, you are looking at the wrong brand. Malibu's don't have the rough water ride of the deep-v hulls. Malibu likes their boats to handle extremely well, and you can't have both attributes.

That being said, the longer bu's (23 lsv, and 24 MXZ) aren't too bad in rough water. Just not as good as something like a X25, or G23. (Which are sluggish handling boats in comparison)

Edited by TenTwentyOne

I had a 2011 vlx, a 2012 lsv, now a 2013 x2. The x2 does handle rough water very well, for a 20 foot inboard. The vlx is my favorite between these 3 boats... Wake is Very easy on beginners, but can get big easily. It is very easy to adjust with wedge and surfgate. Vlx surfs well and handles amazing. The lsv is much wider and beginners may be intimidated by it. It will take more weight to surf it than the vlx. Rough water ride is not great on vlx. Fit and finish seems better on the mc (Malibu is great build though). I just think mc finishes off things a little better. Personally, my next boat will be either a vlx or the x10. X10 is very comparable to the vlx plus it has a few features that I really like. The bimini is much easier to operate on mc. The mc comes standard with GPS cruise and I prefer the computer system on mc (2013 or later) over Malibu system. The x10 has a hard side cooler. x10 has storage in the bow.

If you have to a Malibu, get the vlx. If you want to stick with mc, check out the x10, it is getting some really good reviews.

Edited by bamabonners
  • Like 1

Well MC is where my heart is but the lack of a surf system really disappoints me because we go out with big crews nearly all the time everybody wants to do different things, so something such as surf gate or NSS is perfect because i can just load the boat up and then vary speed so everybody can do what they want to do, rough water ride wise, the roughest conditions that we really get is with our X2 we could cruise at 18-19mph and it was relatively smooth, no spray into the boat etc, or the occasional time we would cruise at 11-12 (we dont really like to bang our boats around very much) I understand that malibu/axis will not be as smooth through the rough water but if its choppy can you still plain and not just get thumped around if that makes sense?

How do you find your X2 wake/handling in comparison to your malibus?

X2 handles like the inboard/outboard we used to own. This really doesn't bother me because we are not running a course with it and we have a wide open lake. Granted, it isn't as fun though. LOL

As for the wake shape, the x2 wake is more mellow, but has a little more lip on the top than Malibu. Comparing size of x2 wake vs a vlx is a no brainer because the vlx is almost 2 feet longer and 8" wider boat - it is going to have a bigger wake.

Well MC is where my heart is but the lack of a surf system really disappoints me

The "surf tabs" don't work? I was never in a mc with surf tabs...