Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Toyota Tundra tow vehicle questions, would a supercharger help?

TallRedRider

I have a 2010 Toyota Tundra and a 2005 Ford Excursion with the 6.0L diesel. The Tundra pulls my 247 quite well up to about 60 MPH, and by the time I get the 247 all loaded up, I am looking at about 7,000 pounds, at a minimum. The diesel pulls it a bit better, mostly noticeable at higher speeds. From 0-50MPH it is a wash, from 60-75 it is no contest, the diesel wins.

I have a 24 foot Rage'N toy hauler that weighs about 6,500 pounds dry. By the time I add water and toys, the thing easily weighs 8000 pounds. I have never towed it with the Tundra because on a steep hill, the diesel groans and I have had times it slows to 45-50 MPH. For whatever reason, the toy hauler feels like I am pulling the Empire State Building. So I haven't even put it behind the Tundra, knowing how much better the boat pulls with the diesel. The diesel has a lot of miles on it and little things are starting to need repairs every other month. So I am looking at other options for pulling my toy hauler. I love the Tundra, and it is almost paid for, so I would love dearly to keep it, but I would have to put in rear air bags and might consider even a supercharger or other engine modificiation if it would help me not have to get rid of it.

I was reading on Tundrasolutions.com and the fanboys there are talking about pulling 8k like it isn't there. I am finding that hard to believe. And I cannot find any information on if jazzing up the engine would give me what I need to avoid buying a new truck.

Questions:

1. Has anyone pulled something heavier than a boat at highway speeds with their Tundra, and how did it do?

2. Educate me on how much better power I could expect if I went all out with chips, supercharger and air intake. I don't need to go faster, I just need to be able to get my toy hauler up to 75MPH.

Please no Ford vs. Chevy vs. Ram debates. I just want to know if my Tundra can do what I want it to do. If I arrive at the conclusion that I can't, then I can go down that road.

Take a look at this:

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112_news040921_inational/

NOt sure if International still makes them, but have see a couple on ebay, and have thought about having one to pull the boat and other stuff. This one only has 3500 miles on it.

Definetly makes a statement.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/International-Harvester-Other-Custom-2006-international-cxt-4-x-4-truck-/130970028893?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e7e6c0b5d&vxp=mtr

Edited by happypappy

Take a look at this:

http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/112_news040921_inational/

NOt sure if International still makes them, but have see a couple on ebay, and have thought about having one to pull the boat and other stuff.

Your post is totally irrelevant to my question. But to play along, the CTX only has a 6 ton towing capacity. Any of the major manufacturers have a diesel that pulls more than that (ford, chevy, Ram).

Edited by TallRedRider

I'm thinking gears is yours a 4x4. I have pulled a bobcat and used my 3000k trailer with my Sequia at 78 with the cruse set but it is 4x4 with tow package. If you go supercharger you are talking a good bit more power but harder on the motor. But I would say yes For sure with a super charger you should be able to do it. Look at upgrading the brakes to the TRDs if need be. I will do a little looking for you when I get back to my computer. But I would really like to know if you have tow package and 4x4

2011 5.7 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 here. 65k flawless miles. I've done some heavy heavy towing with this:

1. 2011 247 Wakesetter, massive stereo, 5 SRM29s, you get the idea. 7500+lbs. avg 7-10mpg at 70mph. Towed through Smokey Mountains, east TN.

2. 2011 Crossroads 32QB travel trailer, approx 8500lbs... With electric brakes. 6-9mpg. Smokey Mountains, east TN.

3. 2013 G24 450 and now a 2014 G23 550, approx 8500lbs. Avg 8mpg 65-70mph gentle on the pedal. I can maintain 70-72mph and get 8-9mpg on flat ground. Hit hills, and you see 4-8mpg.

^^^ all this described towing is at avg 2200RPMs.

^^^ I could tow ANY of these loads at 80mpg and get 4-5mpg rev'ing up to 3500rpms at times. NEVER got hot on engine or tranny gauges, 115-120 deg temps here in OK.

All towing done without using the TOW/HAUL mode, better MPGs not using that... Keeps RPMs lower.

There aren't Any chips, tuners or anything like that worth anything for the Tundra. I check everything out there every few months.... Minimal gains from the best. You can gain maybe 15-20hp if you do cold air intake and exhaust... Not worth it IMO, $1500?? And I don't want a loud truck.

Supercharging. I have watched this very closely and I too am interested. Brings our 390hp up to 550hp. The engine was originally designed for a supercharger....and is said to as reliable as the regular 5.7, and Toyota will keep full warranty if they do the install. You actually gain 1-2 mpg regular hwy driving with the supercharger.

$6k for the parts from Toyota

Approx $8-10k for parts and labor at your local Toyota dealer. Check YouTube for SC Tundra 5.7 videos.... Amazing performance.

Very interested... Wished I had a buddy who was a Toyota Tech with this experience.

Edited by nyryan2001

I was simply showing you a tow vehicle that you may not have thought of or seen and maybe to consider. No need to get wee weed up about it.

One of my neighbors has got one and they are quite nice...and ya the 3 truck makers all make something that will pull more...so does kenworth, pete, mack, etc.

maybe outside the box thinking if you are considering options?.....

I'm thinking gears is yours a 4x4. I have pulled a bobcat and used my 3000k trailer with my Sequia at 78 with the cruse set but it is 4x4 with tow package. If you go supercharger you are talking a good bit more power but harder on the motor. But I would say yes For sure with a super charger you should be able to do it. Look at upgrading the brakes to the TRDs if need be. I will do a little looking for you when I get back to my computer. But I would really like to know if you have tow package and 4x4

This is a 2010 Toyota Tundra with Tow package. I think it has the TRD package as well.

2011 5.7 Tundra Crewmax 4x4 here. 65k flawless miles. I've done some heavy heavy towing with this:

1. 2011 247 Wakesetter, massive stereo, 5 SRM29s, you get the idea. 7500+lbs. avg 7-10mpg at 70mph. Towed through Smokey Mountains, east TN.

2. 2011 Crossroads 32QB travel trailer, approx 8500lbs... With electric brakes. 6-9mpg. Smokey Mountains, east TN.

3. 2013 G24 450 and now a 2014 G23 550, approx 8500lbs. Avg 8mpg 65-70mph gentle on the pedal. I can maintain 70-72mph and get 8-9mpg on flat ground. Hit hills, and you see 4-8mpg.

^^^ all this described towing is at avg 2200RPMs.

^^^ I could tow ANY of these loads at 80mpg and get 4-5mpg rev'ing up to 3500rpms at times. NEVER got hot on engine or tranny gauges, 115-120 deg temps here in OK.

All towing done without using the TOW/HAUL mode, better MPGs not using that... Keeps RPMs lower.

There aren't Any chips, tuners or anything like that worth anything for the Tundra. I check everything out there every few months.... Minimal gains from the best. You can gain maybe 15-20hp if you do cold air intake and exhaust... Not worth it IMO, $1500?? And I don't want a loud truck.

Supercharging. I have watched this very closely and I too am interested. Brings our 390hp up to 550hp. The engine was originally designed for a supercharger....and is said to as reliable as the regular 5.7, and Toyota will keep full warranty if they do the install. You actually gain 1-2 mpg regular hwy driving with the supercharger.

$6k for the parts from Toyota

Approx $8-10k for parts and labor at your local Toyota dealer. Check YouTube for SC Tundra 5.7 videos.... Amazing performance.

Very interested... Wished I had a buddy who was a Toyota Tech with this experience.

I didn't realize that a supercharger would be almost 10K to install. I could get a new diesel, and not have spent that much more money.

Even in the tow/haul mode, the truck seems to shift an awful lot when I am cruising up the hills around here when towing the boat.

Thanks for the thoughts all.

I'm not too wee-weed about it, just trying to be sure to keep the thread on topic. Tow vehicle threads often go rapidly haywire because of all of the strong opinions out there.

TallRed - do you tow in D, or manually shift her down to 5th gear? I've towed about 55,000 miles on my Tundra...it's vastly better if you just put it on 5th (no tow/ haul mode) and let it eat. I'll downshift on larger hills if I don't carry momentum from the bottom, but otherwise don't shift much. That being said, your 247 is a couple lbs heavier than my RLXi :)

FWIW - I installed the TRD rear sway bar and Firestone airbags on my Tundra...both were great decisions, and relatively inexpensive to add.

What's the frontal surface area of the toy hauler? Guessing that's why the diesel groans pulling it up hills at highway speeds.

I have an 07 Tundra with 86k on it. I'm confident the supercharger would help it at the speeds you're looking to improve, but IMHO the Tundra isn't the tool for your towing needs. If you're pulling that much weight regularly, I'd offload the existing diesel and the Tundra and get a new 1 ton truck from any of the big 3.

I've got a Tundra and completely agree with this! He needs a 3/4 - 1ton diesel truck

TallRed- what elevation are you towing at? I seriously had no issues at 70-75 towing my 247.... On relatively flat roads. And I have no mods on my truck, everything is OEM. Steepest grades in the Smokies where semi's where at 15mph, I was at 40-45mph, no issues.

One other consideration I've been looking at, it's fuel tank capacity.. 24gals??? Terrible. I've also considered a 20-30gal aux diamond cut tank inside the bed. It's 1/2 tool box 1/2 aux gas tank.

I didn't realize that a supercharger would be almost 10K to install. I could get a new diesel, and not have spent that much more money.

Even in the tow/haul mode, the truck seems to shift an awful lot when I am cruising up the hills around here when towing the boat.

Thanks for the thoughts all.

I'm not too wee-weed about it, just trying to be sure to keep the thread on topic. Tow vehicle threads often go rapidly haywire because of all of the strong opinions out there.

I would say " just want to know if my Tundra can do what I want it to do" is pretty clear direction on the question. That is the great thing about TMC, everyone is so excited to contribute they don't always read the whole post before they respond. :werule:

"It is what it is", this will be an old argument, but if you are going to pull a heavy load you need a heavy load vehicle. The supercharger will probably cause you more problems than it is worth. Unless you want to disassemble the engine and change the pistons to lower the compression ratio you will have problems with detonation. I just bought a Yukon Denali last month in hopes that I could pull the 247 with it, I gave it a test drive with the boat and in 30 miles I had both the motor hot and the transmission was at 220 degrees. I have friends that can drive across country on bald tires, I can't leave town on half tread without problems. The only thing worse than not going to the lake is getting half way and sitting on the side of the road waiting on AAA or a buddy to come get you. My advise is to have a cushion on tow rating, no worries on brand favorites.

Edited by MLBurns
  • Like 1

I have friends that can drive across country on bald tires, I can't leave town on half tread without problems. The only thing worse than not going to the lake is getting half way and sitting on the side of the road waiting on AAA or a buddy to come get you. My advise is to have a cushion on tow rating, no worries on brand favorites.

I couldn't agree more with this comment. I've briefly tried the 'just drive it' mentality and it sure didn't work out for me. My freetime is in pretty short supply these days...I'm gonna do everything in my power to make sure the fun part of the freetime is fun :)

I have supercharged cars that were not originally designed to be supercharged (granted, not trucks), but I will never do it again. I took what was made to be reliable and practical and turned it in to a maintenance nightmare. I would ditch the toy and the excursion and get a newer ford, Chevy or dodge. Or live with what you have. A 2010 tundra is a great truck and although its not the best towing machine, it will get the job done.

I know I keep asking the same question but if you have the same setup as me and nyryan2001. I just don't understand the problem I know I have pulled 11,500 at least and had no problem now the stoping was another subject. As I have said in the beginning if you do have all the same as me and nyryan2001 it must be that you have different gears. You may have a TRD but not the brakes it is a $2,200 upgrade and you must have 20s but with 550hp you may need it. As others have said the supercharger will be hard on that motor over time and at that price man its hard not to start looking at a bigger truck. Edwin, about 99% sure you have the 4.7 in that 07 and you will need to upgrade to a 5.7 sorry but that motor is a turd.

Edited by Bradley Thornton

Two big downfalls with the supercharged motors are fuel consumption and that it requires running premium fuel. Those two add up fast.

I have talked to guys with TRD superchargers who never see north of 10mpg mixed driving, and it is usually dismally worse. That said, reliability was not a concern.

I loved towing with my Tundra and never had problems even with 23' boats loaded with gear and people and dogs and fuel for camping with lots of mountain passes in the mix. I neeeevvvveeeer towed in anything above 5th gear though. Ever. It is much happier not spinning at lower rpms when towing. Just lacks low end torque and you have to compensate for it by revving it up a bit.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD