Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsuit Recommendation & Boots

Afun

I am very nervous that it won't fit. Us fat Americans apparently don't have the same lean physiques as the Euros. I am about 7% body fat but broad shoulders up top. Maybe I need to eat more cheese and wine and walk more?

That's how I felt.

She had troubles getting stock early in the season, but I think everyone did. To be honest, I don't think there's many places in North America that carry camaro - try googling. I went with her because I went to the ski school her and her husband run, so I knew her personally. She fantastic. Customer service is second to none in my experience. And love my Camaro top. Kills my oneills - not even close.

I know everyone is talking about full wetsuits and I appreciate all of the info because I was in the market too. However, our proshop manager at our dealer talked me into trying just this top: http://www.oneill.com/#/men/americacanada/collection/men/wetsuits/surf/tops_and_bottoms/hyperfreak_1.5mm_glide_ls_crew/black/

I was not so sure about it when he told me that it is the warmest and one of the few tops that barely let water it. But after days of two sets each day in <60 degree air and 60-63 degree water I believe him! The biggest advantage to this is that it holds little to no water and lets very little water in you don't have to take it off between sets and it drys very quickly and then acts almost as a form fitting fleece. Also, I HATE tops/wetsuits/drysuits and I normally wear less than what the weather dictates because I hate how they feel while I ski. But this top I don't even feel, the only way I know its on is that I don't feel the wind against my upper body. Now, it isn't THAT cold yet here in MI, but I think this top will be able to carry me to drysuit season. And I don't think I will even get a full suit now. I will report back in two weeks when I get home from a work trip in Mexico. But so far 100% worth the money to me.

To be clear, my 1 mm Camaro top, not a full length or shorty wetsuit.

Can I ask why you like the Camaro top better and do you have a link to it? I'm looking for a top only as I'm too lazy to get in and out of a full length suit at this point. Since I'm only going with a top I don't mind spending a little more if it means staying out of a full suit.

A lot of guys in our club in Canada use the AquaSphere WT-50, very similar to the camaro, but easier to find, or at least it was. It's very thin but glued and nearly watertight. It is designed as a swim skin, for swimming in 50 degree water and works great for skiing, as it's not thick and restrictive.

Can I ask why you like the Camaro top better and do you have a link to it? I'm looking for a top only as I'm too lazy to get in and out of a full length suit at this point. Since I'm only going with a top I don't mind spending a little more if it means staying out of a full suit.

For me it's the four way stretch. It has better elasticity than the oneills, which means it fits ultra tight (which u want in a wetsuit or neo top) but at the same time isn't restrictive. I don't even know it's there.

Well Bakes called and said the Suit I ordered is out of stock. 3 days later and after I placed the order. I hate when this happens. Will take another week to get it in. It's getting a bit chilly.

The Oneil Reactor 3/2 mm worked great. It was comfy and easy to put on for only $100 bucks at West Marine. Perfect!

what size did you end up getting?

Edited by Chico
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: so I finally got to use my XL Camaro Blactec full suit this weekend (air 60/ water 62). While it is very warm and comfy, I think I dropped the ball on sizing, and would have been better off keeping the tighter fitting Large. The XL turns out to be a bit big for me. My guess is that the XL would be ideal for someone 6 footish, and around 200-210 lbs.

Edited by davemac

Update: so I finally got to use my XL Camaro Blactec full suit this weekend (air 60/ water 62). While it is very warm and comfy, I think I dropped the ball on sizing, and would have been better off keeping the tighter fitting Large. The XL turns out to be a bit big for me. My guess is that the XL would be ideal for someone 6 footish, and around 200-210 lbs.

This is exactly why I did not order one. I just went with a Oneill suit.