Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wetsuit Recommendation & Boots

Afun

The hybrid has thick neoprene legs - water doesn't get through there - you're completely dry coming out of the water? I ask, because I may switch to that as my dry suit. The bag sucks.

If not going dry suit, Camaro is the way to go IMO. That said, I have no experience with these 4/3s people are talking about

Not even some small biker type shorts? What size Camaro sut for 5'9 195 lbs...xtra large?

Not even some small biker type shorts? What size Camaro sut for 5'9 195 lbs...xtra large?

seriously man. Look at the vapor. I found mine for $260 online. I am 5-9 and 195. 46"chest. Went with Large. Tight fit. Not crazy tight. A touch long in the limbs but it think it helps flexibility. I go naked in mine but when it's that cold out I usually just leave it on all day or just drop the top. If you want something underneath just get some Speedos. You get to punch another hole in your man card when you rock Speedos. If anyone says otherwise they are worried about cold water shrinkage and what others think about them.
If not going dry suit, Camaro is the way to go IMO. That said, I have no experience with these 4/3s people are talking about

Not sure. You have me by about 30 lbs and I'm a medium. XL is probably right. If ordering through Robby, may want to ask her.

The hybrid has thick neoprene legs - water doesn't get through there - you're completely dry coming out of the water? I ask, because I may switch to that as my dry suit. The bag sucks.

Legs are taped and sealed. I wear a swim suit and a fleece shirt under it. You stay warm and dry, ankles may be damp but my swim trunks are always dry when I climb out of the suit. Best part about it is the seals are all neoprene, they are not as water tight as the silicone ones but you just slide in and out of them. Wearing the ankle velcro straps I have yet to have water slip past an ankle, wrist or the neck seal of the suit.....and I have had a few nasty tumbles while skiing in it. I really prefer it over the bag style suits.

seriously man. Look at the vapor. I found mine for $260 online. I am 5-9 and 195. 46"chest. Went with Large. Tight fit. Not crazy tight. A touch long in the limbs but it think it helps flexibility. I go naked in mine but when it's that cold out I usually just leave it on all day or just drop the top. If you want something underneath just get some Speedos. You get to punch another hole in your man card when you rock Speedos. If anyone says otherwise they are worried about cold water shrinkage and what others think about them.

hahahaha :cheers:

Legs are taped and sealed. I wear a swim suit and a fleece shirt under it. You stay warm and dry, ankles may be damp but my swim trunks are always dry when I climb out of the suit. Best part about it is the seals are all neoprene, they are not as water tight as the silicone ones but you just slide in and out of them. Wearing the ankle velcro straps I have yet to have water slip past an ankle, wrist or the neck seal of the suit.....and I have had a few nasty tumbles while skiing in it. I really prefer it over the bag style suits.

You sold me. Thanks.

Chest 44, inseam 30, 36 waist

Will report back after mine arrives tomorrow. I'm thinking the XL would be the ticket for you (I'm 5"10", 42 chest, 30 inseam, 33 waist, 185lb). With the L in the full suit, all was fine except the chest/shoulders. I was unable to draw the (back) zipper closed by myself. My daughter zipped it for me. I probably could have made it work, but was too tight for my liking across shoulders, plus didn't want to be at other's mercy to zip it up.

UPDATE: Got the XL. Seems to fit fine, snug but not tight. Legs and arms are just a touch long, but that shouldn't pose a problem. Also, the wrist and ankle openings are not real tight on these suits. If that is bothersome, it is remedied by either using straps, or sliding them up your calf or forearm a bit. I will be using the suit for skiing (Strada boot and rear toe plate). I have an Eagle Drysuit for the real cold stuff.

I am skiing tomorrow noon. Had hoped to give this suit a go, but unfortunately it is going to be 77 degrees (wait, did I just complain about that?) Water is still around 70.

One more thing to add. I have no affiliation, but got great customer service from Robby at Robbysskishop.com . She is the real deal.

Edited by davemac

I don't even use a long wet anymore. I go from a shorty to dry. Then you don't look at air temp or water temp until its to cold to be out. (JMHO) We puled the dry suits out this week, air temp drooped into low 50's mid 40s but the water is warm. Dipped into mid 30's more then once in the last two weeks. :(

Will report back after mine arrives tomorrow. I'm thinking the XL would be the ticket for you (I'm 5"10", 42 chest, 30 inseam, 33 waist, 185lb). With the L in the full suit, all was fine except the chest/shoulders. I was unable to draw the (back) zipper closed by myself. My daughter zipped it for me. I probably could have made it work, but was too tight for my liking across shoulders, plus didn't want to be at other's mercy to zip it up.

UPDATE: Got the XL. Seems to fit fine, snug but not tight. Legs and arms are just a touch long, but that shouldn't pose a problem. Also, the wrist and ankle openings are not real tight on these suits. If that is bothersome, it is remedied by either using straps, or sliding them up your calf or forearm a bit. I will be using the suit for skiing (Strada boot and rear toe plate). I have an Eagle Drysuit for the real cold stuff.

I am skiing tomorrow noon. Had hoped to give this suit a go, but unfortunately it is going to be 77 degrees (wait, did I just complain about that?) Water is still around 70.

One more thing to add. I have no affiliation, but got great customer service from Robby at Robbysskishop.com . She is the real deal.

Got my top from Robby as well. Have also attended her ski school. Would use her for all things Camaro. She's great.

Ps. for me, my ski gloves take care of the "loose" wrist openings.

Edited by sdk

if you are looking for camaro suits on the cheap, sierratradingpost.com seems to always have them. Right now they even have an extra 20% off coupon right on their site. I don't see the blackteck suit, but, this 4/3/2 XL suit would end up being about a hundred bucks with the coupon applied: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/camaro-bft-1086-mono-wetsuit-4and3and2mm-for-men~p~4664h/?filterString=s~wetsuit%2FCamaro-of-Austria~b~3054%2Fsizefamily~general%3Bxl%2F&colorFamily=01

I live right south of you my friend. When do you get worried about winterizing? I heard it needs to be freezing temp for several days to crack a block. Thoughts?

I go into late Oct. I have gone into Nov but watch the weather. I put a light with 100w bulb in when it gets close or below freezing. I am on a covered lift and cover the boat also. A heater or shower my need more attention. Water temp is also a factor. I have gone into the 26 27 area but if the day has been cold and its going to get very cold I will drop the boat and get it up to operating temp and lift it and put it back to bed same as above just before going to bed myself. I always pull before hunting just do not trust it if I am gone. What is your location?

Edited by Sixball

if you are looking for camaro suits on the cheap, sierratradingpost.com seems to always have them. Right now they even have an extra 20% off coupon right on their site. I don't see the blackteck suit, but, this 4/3/2 XL suit would end up being about a hundred bucks with the coupon applied: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/camaro-bft-1086-mono-wetsuit-4and3and2mm-for-men~p~4664h/?filterString=s~wetsuit%2FCamaro-of-Austria~b~3054%2Fsizefamily~general%3Bxl%2F&colorFamily=01

I need to buy a full... preferably down to 50-55degs.... I like the $200 blacktechs.... but this ^^ one is flatlock... i think you'd be better with a taped and sealed hyperflex, no?

Camaro Black-Tec for most of the year then an Eagle Drysuit. Camaro is the nicest shorty that I have owned in 35 years and the Eagle with the front zip can't be beat for a bag style suit.

attachicon.gifIMG_0205 (480x640) (240x320).jpgattachicon.gifIMG_0204 (480x640) (240x320).jpg

Couldn't agree more....particularly since I have the exact same two suits.....and now have a Camaro fullsuit to put in between them.

I just bought a camaro black Tec 2.0. Should be here Saturday. I will let u guys know how it is

Looking forward to the review, I want one...do you guys think these would work down to 50-55degs reasonably?

On the puss scale.... I start wearing a shorty at 72ish.

I always wear a shorty when I ski, (nothing to do with water temp). This is my first year with long sleeves, water-67 and air-70 this morning and the Camaro was nice and warm both sets and in between. Dry-suit for me when the water hits the 50's, as the temp drops I just layer on more clothes.

Full Camaro 2mm suit would work fine in 50-55 water.

Well, I said screw it...and went with the Oneil Epic II 4/3 mm. The sizing chart was right on the money for my size and the X Large Small. Bakes had it for $164. The reviews on this suit are pretty awesome. I went a little thicker to keep me a little bit more toasty.

Edited by Afun