Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shaft Packing nut Stripped What to do?

Jamobado

My boat is a 2002 Wakestter 23LSV

I noticed yesterday my drip rate on my prop shaft seal was heavier than normal. I installed new flax last season so when I went to adjust (tighten) the preload on the Shaft packing nut, I realized only about one turn of thread was engaged. I disengaged the packing nut, now I am not able to start the thread on the Prop shaft nut. I am guessing I damaged the internal threads some when removing the old flax material. Anyways the issue now is I cannot get the thread to engage no matter how hard I try. My next step is to remove all packing material and remove the coupler (male thread) from the rubber boot and try again while slightly holding different angles to get the thread to start. What I am not looking forward to is if I have to remove the shaft entirely and replace the packing nut.

Does anyone have any ideas before I take on the P.I.T.A. job of shaft removal and reinstallation?

I am a competent mechanic in most matters, but am at a loss for a simple fix in this situation. Looking for some input from the experts.

Also, if I do end up pulling the shaft, should I go ahead and put in the Skidim OJ dripless system/

Thanks,

I just repacked mine this with GFO. I started thinking everyone was crazy fitting 3 loops in there as I couldn't get the threads to bite. I guess I didn't get all the loops seated back far enough before I installed the next. Anyways I was able to use a long, ~36" screw driver and wedge against the v-drive and the nut to push the packing in far enough to get it started. I small piece of 1" PVC cut nearly in half is a must IMO for setting the old packing. If you really did jack up the threads then assume you'll have to pull the shaft and all but I highly doubt that.

Edited by Ndawg12

When I repacked mine, I found that the old crap was far more difficult to get out of there than I thought it would be, even with an awesome picker tool that I have. I would wonder if you for sure got all of it out of there. I did use the PVC to push it up in there and did not have a problem with the threads having enough length to engage.

Unless you cross threaded the nut, I have a hard time thinking the nut is your problem. I would verify that you packed the packing in tight using the PVC, and then try again.

• Like 1

Are you sure the threads are boogered up? Maybe you just got some packing crap on them and that is keeping you from starting the nut. Remove the nut all the way and use a dental tool on the male and female threads to insure they are infact completely clean of all debris.

Try either a stiff tooth brush, or soft brass wire brush and clean both sets of threads, male and female ends,,,and try to add a dab or lubricant to get it started and it should be ok..

Is the set nut still on the shaft....run can run it all the way till off...that would help clean and remove any debris on the threads.

I went with PSS vs OJ...my mechanic wouldn't do it any other way.

PSS Propeller Shaft Seals:

A mechanical seal is created by the contact of a turning surface against a stationary surface. In the case of the PSS Shaft Seal, the stationary surface is a carbon flange held in contact against a stainless steel rotor which turns with the shaft. The carbon flange is attached to the boat by a nitrile bellow which, with the help of water pressure, produces a constant contact between the carbon and the stainless steel ring. These type of seals are unaffected by engine motion or vibrations. The result is a 100% watertight and totally maintenance-free seal.

YOU must plumb raw water to the seal though.

• Like 2

I'd just buy a new Malibu. Easier than fartin' around trying to fix the old one.... :biggrin:

Yeah, but classic is classic. And where's the fun in that? heh heh

Take it back a apart and remove at least one piece of rope packing. Put it back together and tighten it down...This will push the rope in. Take it back apart again and you should be able to easily get the third piece of rope in there and thread the nut back on...that's what I've had to do in the past.

thanks for the input. My boat is in storage for the week and I will pick it up this Friday to work on it for the weekend. This past Sunday I did remove 1 of the 3 strands of packing rope and was still not able thread the shaft packing nut on. I did back the jam nut all the way off and it started again just fine so the male threads are in good condition. That is what led me to believe it was the female threads on the shaft packing nut that were damaged. The first thing I am going to try this weekend is remove all of the packing rope and see if it will thread on nicely or not. I did notice on the one rope I removed it was quite swollen, so I am hoping the other two are swollen as well and are what is preventing me from getting a good start on the thread. I will give it a try this weekend and report back. Hopefully all works out well because our season is not over out here in California.

Jamo

A quick update. It turns out the Shaft packing nut threads are damaged, upon dropping the shaft to remove it and install a dripless system, the key on the V drive coupler side was sheared off and some damage was apparent at the coupler and shaft. So, I am now ordering a new shaft coupler so that when everything is put back together it will be good as new also with a dripless system. Not sure how I could have prevented this from happening, but hopefully with the dripless system I won't be fiddling with the packing anymore. Thank you again for everyone's input.