Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust noise

L39driver

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum, having just made an end-of-season purchase of a 2013 23 LSV. We took it out for the first time today, and while I loved much of the boat, I was a little surprised at the noise level, and drone of the exhaust. It was particularly annoying in the stern. By comparison, our prior boat, a 2004 nautique was much quieter.

I have the 350 Monsoon.

1. Am I being over sensitive?

2. Has anyone else noticed this?

3. Do the down turned exhaust tips change the sound level?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

I always thought that the sound of a V8 was a good thing.

Sounds normal but you might check to make sure your exhaust hoses don't have a hole in one of them.

• Like 1

to originally answer the question, yes turn down tips will lower the sound a little, not as much as FAE though.

I once mentioned getting turn down tips and got slapped. if anything most people want it to be even louder! why buy the engine otherwise it's a V8

Love the turned down exhaust. Can't belive how much they are though. They will reduce the noise level inside the boat a lot...enough to where the driver can hear and talk to folks sitting in the back (on a DD).

The Malibu Silent Tip Exhaust makes a BIG difference.... Much Quieter!!!

A V8 sounds great, but if you've got tower speakers, you're just fighting the exhaust noise to get music out to the rider...

Also- If you're going to spend all day out on the lake riding, the loud exhaust gets old!!

I had turn downs on the LSV, but not on the VLX. I felt that the turn downs only made a difference at low speeds. At faster speeds, the exhaust is still out of the water. It was SLIGHTLY quiter at faster speeds, but noticeable at idle and surf speeds.

STE has extra baffles in the tips themselves..... They should help at all speeds....

I have it on my boat, and a few others on my lake with the same Monsoon 350 engine do not have them, and I can hear a big difference between them....

STE has extra baffles in the tips themselves..... They should help at all speeds....

I have it on my boat, and a few others on my lake with the same Monsoon 350 engine do not have them, and I can hear a big difference between them....

Yep! My boat is absolutely quieter at all speeds.

As other have said the STE tips help. I feel like they help a lot. On my friends response they make his LS3 way quieter than my monsoon 350. It's a huge difference when we ski.

I personally love the sound of my boat and I don't mind that its louder but he put them on his boat because we so ski very early and it helps keep the peace.

From my experience the down turn exhaust didn't do anything. I've posted several times on the subject of exhaust noise. With certain types of boating, ballast, etc, you might sink the boat enough to get the down turn under water, but with every setup I've had on two boats, the exhaust is fully out of the water, so even the old 90 degree downturn (no longer available) didn't help at all.

For our last boat I had 8" extensions put on the Malibu downturn exhaust tips. This did get the exhaust below the water in all conditions, but wasn't as good as FAE, so I replaced them with FAE on our new boat. The extended exhaust tips are up for sale; check the classifieds for my listing.

If you are going to go with factory tips, the STE does reduce the noise, as others have posted.

The FAE did eliminate our exhaust noise and I've tried to dampen engine noise, but ultimately, I never achieved my goal, which is to hear the music while surfing without deafening the people in the cabin. See my other post about adding surf speakers, which actually did solve the problem.

I went from flappers to STE this year. With the STE:

- Sound at idle on the water is the same

- Sound at idle on the fake-a-lake is quieter

- Sound at WOT is about the same, maybe slightly quieter. Still get that LS1 scream. :)

- Sound at cruising is much quieter. I don't hear the exhaust nearly as much - as a result, I hear the sound of the drivetrain that I could never hear before. Boat isn't silent by any means but isn't as loud

- Sound taking off/moderate throttle acceleration is a little quieter

FAE will make a bigger difference in sound levels and exhaust reduction. Like most things the FAE isn't the perfect solution, so here are some of its downsides of the FAE:

- More expensive. Especially if you want it to have the polished look so it is presentable like the STE is, you are talking nearly double the price over the STE setup

- Most say they loose 1-2MPH on the top end

- Some complaints of rooster tails

- A number of complaints of it coming loose and regularly needed adjustments; many of these cases seem to be mostly or fully rectified with T-bar clamps (which of course adds to the cost)

I went the STE route due to being less money and no performance sacrifices. Both are good choices.

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum, having just made an end-of-season purchase of a 2013 23 LSV. We took it out for the first time today, and while I loved much of the boat, I was a little surprised at the noise level, and drone of the exhaust. It was particularly annoying in the stern. By comparison, our prior boat, a 2004 nautique was much quieter.

I have the 350 Monsoon.

1. Am I being over sensitive?

2. Has anyone else noticed this?

3. Do the down turned exhaust tips change the sound level?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

If your previous boat was a Nautique, there's your answer. Nautiques (at least the older ones) tend to be quieter than just about every other tournament boat made. You can try to make it quieter, but it won't be "Nautique quiet".