Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater water circulation on 2005 Sportster LX

Dear All,

Since may 2013 i have a Sportster LX, now the weater is going colder here in Switzerland and I would like to heat but the water circulation doesn't work and the air is cold.

If I disconnect the retur water it works well and hot air is coming out, so it isn't a problem in the blower and tubes.

The circulation is the following, hot water came out from the top of the motor and goes back near the water pump at the bottom ( if I disconnect this tube the heater works but the water clearly flows into the billige). So I'm not shure that this is correct installed.

Thanks a lot for helping me!

Regards from Switzerland

Fabio

Edited by Gutfa

Fabio,

I have a 05 LSV with the Heater. I would be our set up is the same.

Your connection seems to be in reverse. On mine, the input to the heater line of off the main cooling tubes around the block.

I'm thinking you can reverse the flow of how yours in connected now.

In the end it's pretty simple...take hot water off the block and run it through the heater blower. If the engine isn't running, then the air cools quickly.

Best wishes to fix it.

Fabio,

I have a 05 LSV with the Heater. I would be our set up is the same.

Your connection seems to be in reverse. On mine, the input to the heater line of off the main cooling tubes around the block.

I'm thinking you can reverse the flow of how yours in connected now.

In the end it's pretty simple...take hot water off the block and run it through the heater blower. If the engine isn't running, then the air cools quickly.

Best wishes to fix it.

The heater core doesn't care which way the water flows so reversing the hoses seems very unlikely to make a difference.

To the OP... Get a heatercraft y pipe to increase suction on the return line. You will reroute the return line from the engine water pump to the raw water intake, where you will splice in the t pipe.

Thanks a lot for your replay!

i would like to put two photos to explain but it dosn't work (i'm not able :():

1) The hot water is coming out from the motor block:

2) Goes to the radiator and goes back in the circuit just after the water pump:

If i disconnect this last tube the heater works fine but clearly the circuit is not closed (also some water comes out from the Y pipe)

Is this the standard water flow?

It's really strange !!

I'm confused by your reply, Gutfa.

This is the Y Pipe:

H424__99456.1338494829.220.220.jpg

It should be mounted between your raw water intake through hull and the raw water pump (not engine water pump). If you have the Y pipe, that's where your hot water should be returning, not to the engine water pump. The Y should be pointed back towards the water intake, not towards the raw water pump (the one with the impeller).

Use the engine water pump as the return only if you dont have a Y pipe.

note that without the y fitting, pictured above, the heaters don't produce much heat at idle.

does your heater produce heat when the boat is at speed?

here is a diagram of how the y fitting should be installed.

darn, forgot to include the link. fixed.

Edited by tvano

I added a small 5 gallon per minute 12 volt water pump to the 5/8 heater hose and I have LOTS of heat all the time. Even after the engine is shut off for 15 minutes I still get heat. Best $40 ever spent!

I added a small 5 gallon per minute 12 volt water pump to the 5/8 heater hose and I have LOTS of heat all the time. Even after the engine is shut off for 15 minutes I still get heat. Best $40 ever spent!

LOL, I was trying not to go there yet, FF!

Does anybody know the size of the orifice in the Y pipe, I recall the flow needs to be restricted to optimize heat at idle. Thx.

@Gufta: you want to plumb the return hose to a low pressure or suction side of the water system. The Y pipe provides a suction point at higher engine rpm and at idle. There is a suction side 5/8" diameter port on the water pump that might work, the problem is a raw water pump usually overrides any suction at idle and some times at speed so that port (the one you are trying to use) tends not to work very well in the marine application. Another option for you would be to dump the return water in to the exhaust system as that is low pressure.

note that without the y fitting, pictured above, the heaters don't produce much heat at idle.

does your heater produce heat when the boat is at speed?

here is a diagram of how the y fitting should be installed.

darn, forgot to include the link. fixed.

Seconding this post. If you're below 2k rpms, you won't get much heat out of it, even with the y-pipe.